OT Favorite type of Auto Racing?

954gator

the Nascar thread had me thinking.     Even if you generally aren't interested in racing at all, which intrigues you the most?   Nascar, Indy kart, F1, Moto, Prototype/lemans series, historic, or something else maybe?

For me currently I'd have to say lemans prototype (lmp1) because of how diverse the cars/technology are.    It's all still weak when you compare it to how they used to be with less restrictions.   Late 80s/early 90s were the golden age of that type of racing, back when it was Group C.

What say you?

• Like 1

NHRA: Mello Yello Series.  When the "big boys" in Top Fuel and Funny Car pass by you in the stands, you can feel it in your chest. (Like standing in front of a big bass whoofer)These cars produce around 10,000 horsepower and reach speeds of around 320mph, in less than 4 seconds, on the 1,000ft. track. That's haulin' it.

• Like 3

Drag racing of any type is pretty good. It's a toss up for me if we are talking about in person, live at the track watching. On T.V. I'd prefer Drag racing or Indy car over NASCAR. In person, it comes down to NHRA and NASCAR. 

I still go to some round dirt track racing, and smaller series drag racing too, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the big boy's series or circuits to be fun and entertaining. 

• Like 2

Gator, not many events called sport on TV that I don't follow (or previously followed). :)   

Before restrictor plate racing, Talladega was a wild event... and it still has the usual one or two massive wrecks a year.  I used to follow Formula 1 when ESPN had it many years back when Prost, Senna, Mansell, etc. were racing.   I haven't watched in decades.   Drag racing even now gets my attention.   I've always dug the quarter mile races and even watch a current reality show about it from time to time.  

Nascar -  was a big Dale Earnhardt fan :( ... only his son kept me interested and now he's retiring.   I lost interest but I sure enjoyed AJ Foyt, Petty, Parsons, Allison, etc. back in the day.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Very cool vid. 

Yeah man that's a sauber/mercedes c11.  V8tt.   1k+ for qualifying, probably 8-900hp for endurances.    The c11 even today would take lmp2 down easy, and probably stay with some lmp1s.   it was just awesome to see so many different engine types in one class .   V10s vs v8tt, rotary, flat 6tts all going at it, and a lot of these engines/technology ended up in production cars.    

No two cars sounded the same that's for sure!  

growing up in eastern PA (steel city part of bethlehem pa) we were all really big into dirt track racing and quarter midget racing at Grandview speedway even though we had Nazareth speedway ((Indy car Andrettis) 5 miles down the road and Pocono 35 minutes to the north.  grew up w/ dirt bike racing and watching the Freemansburg Hill Climb twice a year from yard as well as having my own dirt bike (honda 80 as a kid, was a piece of shit but it was a running dirt bike).  

Nascar will always be fun to go to but there is only a few tracks worth watching on tv.  camping at at the Tricky Triangle (pocono) was always a fun weekend as well. Nascar not loosing interest but instead going back to regular rates.  The Danica fad wore off and the Gordan fans and haters are scrambling right now but still have him as a commentator, when all settles Nascar will have the same fans they always had.  

• Like 1

Honestly Idk how much that jacket cost. 

Its one of the few things my father bought me. 

He never told me how much he paid. 

But I know he got it back when he came down from NJ to hang out with me. I was about 13. And it literally grew with me... it still fits. 

Although it was way to big when I was 13. Its still a bit big now. 

Like 1 size larger than what I usually wear. 

Idk if its rare or not. 

But wherever I go I get atleast 1 person offer to buy it off my back... 

Last time I went to Daytona Beach I met someone hardcore into Nascar. Offered me 355$ for it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Honestly Idk how much that jacket cost. 

Its one of the few things my father bought me. 

He never told me how much he paid. 

But I know he got it back when he came down from NJ to hang out with me. I was about 13. And it literally grew with me... it still fits. 

Although it was way to big when I was 13. Its still a bit big now. 

Like 1 size larger than what I usually wear. 

Idk if its rare or not. 

But wherever I go I get atleast 1 person offer to buy it off my back... 

Last time I went to Daytona Beach I met someone hardcore into Nascar. Offered me 355$ for it. 

hang on to it.  it has value.

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

Another cool vid from historic group C.   Jaguar xjr-14 taken in 2015.   

Do they have a cell phone ringer with that sound?  Lol.  It had the white ride in the curves, but in the straightaways not enough power.  Each passing lap he must have been frustrated.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 954gator said:

As far as drag racing goes, I tend to like the street legal stuff the most.  I used to take my car to the strip all the time, but we're talking 12 second 1/4 miles not 5 seconds ;)

12 secs is very nice.  American muscle or one of the Japanese GT's (Supra, RX7, 3000/Stealth)? 

3 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Do they have a cell phone ringer with that sound?  Lol.  It had the white ride in the curves, but in the straightaways not enough power.  Each passing lap he must have been frustrated.  

Yeah the xjr16 and especially the c11 had a bit too much power for the xjr14 with "only" 650hp.   Especially in a fast track like Monza.

9 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Even better!  I wasn't expecting that.  That's the first AMG model?  What HP/torque numbers did you have on the dyno?  Low 12's?  My last 2 cars have been German.  335i and e550.  

Well stock they are 349HP 332 Torque, its a 3.2L supercharged v6.   I had mine dyno tested before any serious mods (only cooling) and it was at around 290hp to the wheels. (higher than I expected as 270-280 was the norm)   

I added a smaller supercharger pulley, which increases the PSI to around 17-18 (from 14.5),  Dual inline intake,  Big Heat exchanger and intercooler reservoir, and had it tuned by a company called Eurocharged to get it running right.   Final dyno was just over 350 to the wheels, so maybe just over 400 to the crank.

• Like 1