SOTU incivility in 2009 & the Media's response

Testadura

18 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Come on, the left wing media responded with quick criticism in ‘09 just like the right wing media did with Pelosi ‘s display.  All media is not the same.  We already know this.  

Right-wing media, for 60% or so of the Country, does not have the gravitas of the mainstream media, which you might be referring to as the left-wing media.  I see them as left wing, but they still are called mainstream.

And it wasn't solely about coverage.  The coverage argued properly for civility, as did the other half of the title here.

People have been running threads as if incivility started in 2017.  Obama took the high road.  We all should.

8 minutes ago, Testadura said:

Right-wing media, for 60% or so of the Country, does not have the gravitas of the mainstream media, which you might be referring to as the left-wing media.  I see them as left wing, but they still are called mainstream.

And it wasn't solely about coverage.  The coverage argued properly for civility, as did the other half of the title here.

People have been running threads as if incivility started in 2017.  Obama took the high road.  We all should.

Mainstream media is mass level media and networks such as FOX, CNN, MSNBC.  They’re influential to a significant segment.  That’s the criteria 

for both incidents the coverage was heaviest and responses were strongest based on the source.  Republican supporters on FOX berating Pelosi and Dem supporters on CNN and MSNBC   In ‘09

15 minutes ago, Testadura said:

Obama took the high road?

Perhaps easy when the overwhelmingly majority of the press was competing to be first in line every day to tongue his balls.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, concha said:

Perhaps easy when the overwhelmingly majority of the press was competing to be first in line every day to tongue his balls.

Yes he did  take the high road; he didn’t refuse to shake hands and what not like Trump. 

trump is well insulated by FOX in general and republican lawmakers and mostly from his sycophantic followers 

14 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Did pence extend his hand first?  

Obama was ridiculed consistently by the right and FOX 

He had begun to turn away when you did so. Watch the video.

And, frankly, either way she didn't deserve a handshake after the shit she has led party in over the last three years.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, concha said:

He had begun to turn away when you did so. Watch the video.

And, frankly, either way she didn't deserve a handshake after the shit she has led party in over the last three years.

Aaah so it’s about your interpretation of events and what warrants decency and decorum.  This is par for the course from a trump apologist .  Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Aaah so it’s about your interpretation of events and what warrants decency and decorum.  This is par for the course from a trump apologist .  Thanks 

He didn't shake Pence's hand.

He had handed over the speech to Pelosi and had begun to turn away.

Those aren't really interpretations. They are facts.

You're welcome.

Continue soiling yourself.

2 minutes ago, concha said:

He didn't shake Pence's hand.

He had handed over the speech to Pelosi and had begun to turn away.

Those aren't really interpretations. They are facts.

You're welcome.

Continue soiling yourself.

You nut jobs think anytime there is opposition to your snowflake views that we’re soiling ourselves.  I don’t spend every waking minute on this side of the forum bitching, belly aching, name calling like you.  You have not solved a gotdamn thing with your petulant posts.  But you do you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Mainstream media is mass level media and networks such as FOX, CNN, MSNBC.  They’re influential to a significant segment.  That’s the criteria 

for both incidents the coverage was heaviest and responses were strongest based on the source.  Republican supporters on FOX berating Pelosi and Dem supporters on CNN and MSNBC   In ‘09

you're in Tx, and I'm in North Jersey and NYC.  that accounts for a lot of what we get inundated with every day.

here, The NY Times is still the paper.  The WSJ and WaPo closely follow.  Then, the intellectual journals are all Left leaning, though they're not well read.  Academia is 4-6% Conservative.  Intellectuals tend to be on the Left.

in building and office lobbies, you don't see FOX on; you see CNN.

So, that's why I see FOX as an outlier (like MSNBC), which is heavily watched, but not cited.  If you say, CNN, conservatives might bust chops, but that's it.  If you say, FOX, unless it's to friends or underlings, you better be prepared for heat.

I'm saying that I expect more from NYT, WSJ, WaPo, CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN, given their reps.

I don't watch or read any of it, for the most part.  So, I miss a lot of news and coverage.

Do you think some media were a bit more consistent than others?

5 minutes ago, Testadura said:

you're in Tx, and I'm in North Jersey and NYC.  that accounts for a lot of what we get inundated with every day.

here, The NY Times is still the paper.  The WSJ and WaPo closely follow.  Then, the intellectual journals are all Left leaning, though there not well read.  Academia is 4-6% Conservative.  Intellectuals tend to be on the Left.

in building and office lobbies, you don't see FOX on; you see CNN.

So, that's why I see FOX as an outlier (like MSNBC), which is heavily watched, but not cited.  If you say, CNN, conservatives might bust chops, but that's it.  If you say, FOX, unless it's to friends or underlings, you better be prepared for heat.

I'm saying that I expect more from NYT, WSJ, WaPo, CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN, given their reps.

I don't watch or read any of it, for the most part.  So, I miss a lot of news and coverage.

Do you think some media were a bit more consistent than others?

These are left leaning sources.  A persons politics dictates which source they use primarily.  FOX is not an outlier, it’s a major network for conservative views. 

I expect more from those sources that are more neutral such as AP, NPR and PBS 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, concha said:

he's possibly emotionally or mentally the toughest person I've ever seen.

everyone else would be in the fetal position in bed every morning if they were attacked that way for over 3 yrs, and had no support from the political class, the intellectual class, the Fourth Estate, academia, the Elites, the Internationalists, etc.

Obama was pretty much loved by anyone who mattered.

19 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

You nut jobs think anytime there is opposition to your snowflake views that we’re soiling ourselves.  I don’t spend every waking minute on this side of the forum bitching, belly aching, name calling like you.  You have not solved a gotdamn thing with your petulant posts.  But you do you 

The rights snowflake views?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

The rights snowflake views?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Snowflakes based on the responses you all give when you feel the need to defend every oppositional thought. You guys huddle everyday, comforting each other and confirming each other’s biases.  😂 

yes, it is quite comical ...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

These are left leaning sources.  A persons politics dictates which source they use primarily.  FOX is not an outlier, it’s a major network for conservative views. 

I expect more from those sources that are more neutral such as AP, NPR and PBS 

it's turned out that they are.  I'm 53.  I grew up watching CBS, NBC, and ABC news as neutral.  As I grew older, I found out that they weren't, and as I said, I don't watch them.  I just assumed that their left leaning wasn't yet conceded.  You say it is--fine.  I have to get with the times.

It's funny--I saw PBS as granola lefty since I was a kid.  NPR is intellectual, but lefty w/o a doubt.

I don't think that those big newspapers would agree with your characterization.  I think that they say that they are fair, with a lean, of course, which they would try to argue appears on their editorial pages.

FOX, I see, as a place for conservatives to go.  Again, I don't watch this stuff.

1 minute ago, Testadura said:

it's turned out that they are.  I'm 53.  I grew up watching CBS, NBC, and ABC news as neutral.  As I grew older, I found out that they weren't, and as I said, I don't watch them.  I just assumed that their left leaning wasn't yet conceded.  You say it is--fine.  I have to get with the times.

It's funny--I saw PBS as granola lefty since I was a kid.  NPR is intellectual, but lefty w/o a doubt.

I don't think that those big newspapers would agree with your characterization.  I think that they say that they are fair, with a lean, of course, which they would try to argue appears on their editorial pages.

FOX, I see, as a place for conservatives to go.  Again, I don't watch this stuff.

Every body will say they are fair!  😂 

go look at who the public views as the more neutral sources, PBS, AP and NPR are top of the list 

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Every body will say they are fair!  😂 

go look at who the public views as the more neutral sources, PBS, AP and NPR are top of the list 

I have to give a shout out to CSPAN as far as balance and a good place to hear good discussions and topics.  I discount the politicians coming on to give their spin on things though.  I agree on PBS, AP AND NPR.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Snowflakes based on the responses you all give when you feel the need to defend every oppositional thought. You guys huddle everyday, comforting each other and confirming each other’s biases.  😂 

yes, it is quite comical ...

What's comical and also sad is the temper tantrum the left has had since 2016.  Remember the "insurance policy"?

Sorry, stats and facts don't lie, even when not in the left's favor.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

What's comical and also sad is the temper tantrum the left has had since 2016.  Remember the "insurance policy"?

Sorry, stats and facts don't lie, even when not in the left's favor.

Both sides act like bitches a lot of the time, sorry the right doesn’t get a pass.  😂 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Testadura said:

I see Fox as a propaganda machine that lies far to often and this can be proven.  The MSNBC/CNN outlets most definitely are slanted heavily to the left but I have not had anybody prove that they are fake and that they lie.  When mistakes are made they admit it and correct it.  Not the case with Fox.

Most of the media is opinions and predictions and not much actual news anymore.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Both sides act like bitches a lot of the time, sorry the right doesn’t get a pass.  😂 

I was never a fan of one side standing up and clapping while the other side sat on their hands...been happening for too long....but the dems couldn't applaud for the little black girl getting a scholarship..or the Tuskegee airman....or the soldier coming home???

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

I was never a fan of one side standing up and clapping while the other side sat on their hands...been happening for too long....but the dems couldn't applaud for the little black girl getting a scholarship..or the Tuskegee airman....or the soldier coming home???

their behavior was despicable

the Dems are so focused on getting trump, that they forgot who they serve and represent...the people.  They’ve become the party of retribution and vengeance 

• Like 2