A drive through downtown New Orleans in the middle of the workday during the coronavirus pandemic.

RedZone

The role of asymptomatic spread was under appreciated, even by experts, including the CDC.  The disease is not Ebola in terms of case-lethality.  Social distancing has positive effects, but is not stopping the epidemic by any means, as perfect social distancing is impossible. And recommendations by experts have been evolving over time and are being fashioned somewhat on the fly.

35 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The role of asymptomatic spread was under appreciated, even by experts, including the CDC.

Osterholm was saying that asymptomatic carriers were highly contagious weeks ago.

In fact, show me one expert that said that it isn't clear whether asymptomatic carriers could really transmit the virus. Because that's what you actually said.

That's one of the silliest things I've seen so far regarding this virus.

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Osterholm was saying that asymptomatic carriers were highly contagious weeks ago.

In fact, show me one expert that said that it isn't clear whether asymptomatic carriers could really transmit the virus. Because that's what you actually said.

That's one of the silliest things I've seen so far regarding this virus.

People don't show symptoms for 3 to 10 days depending on the person and their own immune system, but, during that time can be incredibly contagious. 

Trump and his cronies downplaying it created the situation we are in now. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

People don't show symptoms for 3 to 10 days depending on the person and their own immune system, but, during that time can be incredibly contagious. 

Trump and his cronies downplaying it created the situation we are in now. 

That was not widely appreciated or known for sure.  Not all viruses are transmissible like that.  Ebola is not.  The CDC initially had the position that it was not responsible for a significant amount of disease spread.  That is in fact not correct.

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

That was not widely appreciated or known for sure.  Not all viruses are transmissible like that.  Ebola is not.  The CDC initially had the position that it was not responsible for a significant amount of disease spread.  That is in fact not correct.

If you don't know, you should.treat it like it is. 

Period. 

When there is differing opinions from experts, by god, protect protect protect until you know for sure. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If you don't know, you should.treat it like it is. 

Period. 

When there is differing opinions from experts, by god, protect protect protect until you know for sure. 

So we would send everyone home at the start of every epidemic?  Real world ....

18 minutes ago, Bormio said:

So we would send everyone home at the start of every epidemic?  Real world ....

No, not realistically in real world scenarios for every epidemic. This one had people.sounding the alarm as soon as they saw China having to build tent hospitals though. We saw what was happening. 

When you see stuff like that, you have to take it seriously. As a doctor, a president or just an average human being. We did not take it serious as a president, or many doctors even. Nor did we take it serious collectively as average human beings either. 

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

It just isn't looking good,  man... 

The main problem that I see, mainly where I live, is, nobody really takes it seriously until there is a confirmed infection in their community. Not the mayors or councilmen or anyone. 

Then there is a confirmed case and they're suddenly touting curfews, suspending alcohol by the drink licenses and mandating stay at home. 

Problem is, that person got it somewhere. Where? When?  Then who did they have contact with since? 

Too late to restrict movement after you see a case. It's already there and spreading then. 

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The main problem that I see, mainly where I live, is, nobody really takes it seriously until there is a confirmed infection in their community. Not the mayors or councilmen or anyone. 

Then there is a confirmed case and they're suddenly touting curfews, suspending alcohol by the drink licenses and mandating stay at home. 

Problem is, that person got it somewhere. Where? When?  Then who did they have contact with since? 

Too late to restrict movement after you see a case. It's already there and spreading then. 

Exactly.

It's too late by then.

Which is why Bormio and the other merry dumbasses here were so wrong in the beginning.

• Like 1