Parents want school open

HSFBfan

18 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Not in Florida. Parents here are very concerned. And if DeSantis forces the issue, large metro area schools will be closed within a month. Just too much virus here to open schools safely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Not in Florida. Parents here are very concerned. And if DeSantis forces the issue, large metro area schools will be closed within a month. Just too much virus here to open schools safely. 

Asked in the CNBC/Change Research survey to pick which two institutions, businesses or activities the government should work hardest to reopen safely, 74% of respondents chose daycare and K-12 schools. Education trumped all other choices among the likely voters surveyed in Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — states that will likely determine the outcome of November’s presidential election. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Asked in the CNBC/Change Research survey to pick which two institutions, businesses or activities the government should work hardest to reopen safely, 74% of respondents chose daycare and K-12 schools. Education trumped all other choices among the likely voters surveyed in Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — states that will likely determine the outcome of November’s presidential election. 

Read the article. It says, confirming my opinion, that a majority of parents in Florida are very concerned about sending their children back to school. It is going to be an unmitigated disaster if DeSantis forces the issue and will likely doom him in the next Governor's race. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Read the article. It says, confirming my opinion, that a majority of parents in Florida are very concerned about sending their children back to school. It is going to be an unmitigated disaster if DeSantis forces the issue and will likely doom him in the next Governor's race. 

Yea i just saw that paragraph. 52%. So basically  a 50-50 split. 

What will people do with their kids when they go back to work and their kids are home? 

Costs lots of money to have someone babysit your kid daily 

The decision to not open will destroy the people on the low economic scale. They need school for babysitting purposes 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yea i just saw that paragraph. 52%. So basically  a 50-50 split. 

What will people do with their kids when they go back to work and their kids are home? 

Costs lots of money to have someone babysit your kid daily 

The decision to not open will destroy the people on the low economic scale. They need school for babysitting purposes 

It is a profoundly sick country that needs school for babysitting purposes. Think about that for a minute ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

It is a profoundly sick country that needs school for babysitting purposes. Think about that for a minute ...

But that's reality. 

Schools are 8 to 12 hours of basically free babysitting

Yes its messed up when u think about it but thats reality in America. 

It is totally messed up. That's not the way a sustainable society works. Changes need to be made. 

When it costs thousands of dollars for daycare and im talking thousands of dollars and both parents have to work to keep up with taxes real estate etc the kids have to go somewhere. And that somewhere is school. From before school hours for breakfast to the school day to after school. Some kids are at rhe school from like 7am to 6pm when they get picked up by their parents. 

Parents are also not up to date with today's education so its very hard for parents to help them. For example they have changed how to do math problems multiple times esp when it came to common core.  So parents get fed up and annoyed about it and the frustration btw parent and student ensues. 

So if the democrats and Republicans really care about low economic people you open the schools. 

Cuomo here in NY when this pandemic hit had to tell de blasio schools are closed and you have 24 hours to figure out how people will eat.

Thats america. People have kids they can't afford to feed. They can't afford to have someone watch them. 

But we keep having kids. Not me but in a general sense 

28 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

When it costs thousands of dollars for daycare and im talking thousands of dollars and both parents have to work to keep up with taxes real estate etc the kids have to go somewhere. And that somewhere is school. From before school hours for breakfast to the school day to after school. Some kids are at rhe school from like 7am to 6pm when they get picked up by their parents. 

Parents are also not up to date with today's education so its very hard for parents to help them. For example they have changed how to do math problems multiple times esp when it came to common core.  So parents get fed up and annoyed about it and the frustration btw parent and student ensues. 

So if the democrats and Republicans really care about low economic people you open the schools. 

School, in a functional society should serve the following purposes: 1. Learning skills you will need as an adult. 2. Learning to think critically. 3. Socialization for the kids so they can learn to have healthy relationships with their peers. 4. Participation in extracurricular activities (band, sports, etc.). School should not be babysitting institutions.

Childcare should either be provided by a stay at home parent, or if that's not feasible due to economics, then government should provide a framework for affordable childcare after school is let out or 12 hours per day if school is closed. School should absolutely have nothing whatsoever to do with child care. When it serves that purpose, society is dysfunctional and is not sustainable. And that is why we have created a manufactured crisis here such that you say schools have to be open for childcare. This is totally messed up and the most powerful country in the world does not have to be doing this. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

School, in a functional society should serve the following purposes: 1. Learning skills you will need as an adult. 2. Learning to think critically. 3. Socialization for the kids so they can learn to have healthy relationships with their peers. 4. Participation in extracurricular activities (band, sports, etc.). School should not be babysitting institutions.

Childcare should either be provided by a stay at home parent, or if that's not feasible due to economics, then government should provide a framework for affordable childcare after school is let out or 12 hours per day if school is closed. School should absolutely have nothing whatsoever to do with child care. When it serves that purpose, society is dysfunctional and is not sustainable. And that is why we have created a manufactured crisis here such that you say schools have to be open for childcare. This is totally messed up and the most powerful country in the world does not have to be doing this. 

Where I live, school serves one more purpose: food. A lot of people in my county simply come to school for their next meal. My school is well off, but the county average is over 50% for free/reduced cost lunch. Without schools, many people cannot get their only meal for the day, which is sad but true. I have no problem with schools opening as long as every precaution is taken. As they do now, they give the kids an option to online school as well, which is good. But rather than daycare, I'd say food is the biggest reason for going to school in certain districts.

• Thanks 1

So now you want government who people bitch about daily involved in watching your kids? 

As I do agree with you I cant add much to what you have said. All I can say is that is reality here in America. We have too many low income people having kids. They can't afford them. 

2nd problem is and I know this all too well is too many deadbeats who have kids and don't put any money towards them leaving too many single parent households where 1 parent is working multiple jobs to get by. So again they can't afford day care or any of the like

There are people becoming grandparents who are retiring just for the sheer reason of being able to watch their grandkids so the parents can go to work and not have to pay for day care. 

Kids cost a lot of money. And in this society we have too many people having kids that can't afford them. That's a major problem 

• Haha 1

Just now, ngdawg said:

Where I live, school serves one more purpose: food. A lot of people in my county simply come to school for their next meal. My school is well off, but the county average is over 50% for free/reduced cost lunch. Without schools, many people cannot get their only meal for the day, which is sad but true. I have no problem with schools opening as long as every precaution is taken. As they do now, they give the kids an option to online school as well, which is good. But rather than daycare, I'd say food is the biggest reason for going to school in certain districts.

yes i brought up kids going to school for food. 

And remember that food is not free. It's on the back of the taxpayer 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

yes i brought up kids going to school for food. 

And remember that food is not free. It's on the back of the taxpayer 

The food is free for the students who need it though. I personally wouldn't be mad if I knew the money I was paying went towards food for those who can't afford it. Especially being a student now and having met students who need school for food. 

• Like 1

Just now, ngdawg said:

The food is free for the students who need it though. I personally wouldn't be mad if I knew the money I was paying went towards food for those who can't afford it. Especially being a student now and having met students who need school for food. 

All im saying is someone is paying for it

It's amazing all the things you get when ur poor

Welcome to america where your awarded for being poor

Why do anything? Just stay poor. The government will completely take care of u. 

Once you start making money you will be fucked by the government 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

This speaks to the horrible maldistribution of wealth in the USA. A person who has a full time job working 40 or more hours per week should not have to struggle to have: food, shelter and clothes. Yes, I understand there may not be much left for the niceties of life after that, but in the world's richest country (if what we are told is true), the basics should be affordable for those that work. And for those that cannot due to disabilities, society (government) should provide the basics. Likewise, for those that want to work and are actively looking, in certain situations I would support a government jobs program. It worked pretty well in the Great Depression, and could work well if properly planned and managed. It could help address our crumbling infrastructure for example, and I could think of dozens more things it could do. We need to get outside our ideological boxes and get creative if we want to remain at the top of the heap!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

And you in turn fuck your employer in every hole, spending your time on here and bitching about everything wrong in your life.

bgw

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

This speaks to the horrible maldistribution of wealth in the USA. A person who has a full time job working 40 or more hours per week should not have to struggle to have: food, shelter and clothes. Yes, I understand there may not be much left for the niceties of life after that, but in the world's richest country (if what we are told is true), the basics should be affordable for those that work. And for those that cannot due to disabilities, society (government) should provide the basics. Likewise, for those that want to work and are actively looking, in certain situations I would support a government jobs program. It worked pretty well in the Great Depression, and could work well if properly planned and managed. It could help address our crumbling infrastructure for example, and I could think of dozens more things it could do. We need to get outside our ideological boxes and get creative if we want to remain at the top of the heap!

Understand tho as you make good point if the price of paying people goes higher the more we are fucked in america

We have already outpriced ourselves in the global market. We american workers demand too much. We want good pay benefits time off etc etc.

When you really look at it it is no surprise that companies would rather go to other countries and pay absolutely nothing and have huge profits

As a stock market guy as you are you want those profits to be as high as possible.  Share holders have to be answered too

There's always been wealth differences. Thats capitalism 

6 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

And you in turn fuck your employer in every hole, spending your time on here and bitching about everything wrong in your life.

its good to have jobs where you can be on boards like this while at the same time getting shit done 

I'm one of the very few on here who actually has real conversations not some bullshit circle shit all day and night. 

11 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

By this logic, why haven't you chosen to be poor? As per you, they are gifted everything and don't have to work for anything. So how about you become poor and while you're at it, I'll split the money you leave behind between me and @DarterBlue. Sound good?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

By this logic, why haven't you chosen to be poor? As per you, they are gifted everything and don't have to work for anything. So how about you become poor and while you're at it, I'll split the money you leave behind between me and @DarterBlue. Sound good?

I basically am poor dude lol. 

What money? There is nothing to split lol 

I work to be poor thats how poor I am