Parents want school open

HSFBfan

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

This speaks to the horrible maldistribution of wealth in the USA. A person who has a full time job working 40 or more hours per week should not have to struggle to have: food, shelter and clothes. Yes, I understand there may not be much left for the niceties of life after that, but in the world's richest country (if what we are told is true), the basics should be affordable for those that work. And for those that cannot due to disabilities, society (government) should provide the basics. Likewise, for those that want to work and are actively looking, in certain situations I would support a government jobs program. It worked pretty well in the Great Depression, and could work well if properly planned and managed. It could help address our crumbling infrastructure for example, and I could think of dozens more things it could do. We need to get outside our ideological boxes and get creative if we want to remain at the top of the heap!

That's where we come in. It may not seem like it, but this growing generation is thinking more creatively and beneficially than any other before it. We get the moniker of "addicted to electronics" and whatnot, but we are bent on making change in society, whether it be social reform or economic reform or political reform. These new interests are fostered by the clubs and organizations at our school. For example, we have DECA, a club for future entrepreneurs. We have HOSA, a club for future healthcare professionals. We even have GSA, or Gay-Straight Alliance, to foster positive feelings between those who feel oppressed by cultural norms. Change is coming with our generation, and I hope we prove all our haters wrong.

Just now, ngdawg said:

That's where we come in. It may not seem like it, but this growing generation is thinking more creatively and beneficially than any other before it. We get the moniker of "addicted to electronics" and whatnot, but we are bent on making change in society, whether it be social reform or economic reform or political reform. These new interests are fostered by the clubs and organizations at our school. For example, we have DECA, a club for future entrepreneurs. We have HOSA, a club for future healthcare professionals. We even have GSA, or Gay-Straight Alliance, to foster positive feelings between those who feel oppressed by cultural norms. Change is coming with our generation, and I hope we prove all our haters wrong.

DECA has been around for decades. This is nothing new

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I basically am poor dude lol. 

What money? There is nothing to split lol 

I work to be poor thats how poor I am 

In that case, do you feel like you are benefitted more from being poor than others are from being rich? Do you feel like being poor (as you say you are) is a great benefit to society? I would like to help poor people get the opportunities they deserve. Getting them a job could be the greatest help to them financially and socially.

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

DECA has been around for decades. This is nothing new

Fine. But there are several other clubs that are just now taking root. Mock Trial has been there for a solid bit, and it moves to teach others about the legal system and prepare them for careers as lawyers. You also have Tri-M, which is a society for music and those who would like to perform at a higher level. We also have Honor Societies (for Spanish, Music, Science, Math, you name it!) which recognize those who put in effort and provide greater opportunities to help in the community. We are a catalyst for change, and I hope we make the changes this world needs.

Just now, ngdawg said:

In that case, do you feel like you are benefitted more from being poor than others are from being rich? Do you feel like being poor (as you say you are) is a great benefit to society? I would like to help poor people get the opportunities they deserve. Getting them a job could be the greatest help to them financially and socially.

Yea r u kidding me

My taxes are done for free.

If I was to go get my own place it would be a minimal payment

My health insurance would cost me practically nothing 

Here in NY you get many perks for being poor.

Like i said ive worked since im 14 years old. I work to be poor. Thats how far I've gotten to be completely honest. Does it bother me not really. Id rather live my life than give my whole life to some job that doesn't give 2 shits about you 

Just now, ngdawg said:

Fine. But there are several other clubs that are just now taking root. Mock Trial has been there for a solid bit, and it moves to teach others about the legal system and prepare them for careers as lawyers. You also have Tri-M, which is a society for music and those who would like to perform at a higher level. We also have Honor Societies (for Spanish, Music, Science, Math, you name it!) which recognize those who put in effort and provide greater opportunities to help in the community. We are a catalyst for change, and I hope we make the changes this world needs.

mock trial been around forever 

Yep honor societies as far back as I know 

I guess your playing catch up

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Yea r u kidding me

My taxes are done for free.

If I was to go get my own place it would be a minimal payment

My health insurance would cost me practically nothing 

Here in NY you get many perks for being poor.

Like i said ive worked since im 14 years old. I work to be poor. Thats how far I've gotten to be completely honest. Does it bother me not really. Id rather live my life than give my whole life to some job that doesn't give 2 shits about you 

So you would rather be poor than rich? That's definitely a first for me. Then again, it depends what you consider poor. If lower middle class is considered poor, then this probably isn't right. By poor, I mean below the poverty line. If you say it's better to live under the poverty line than high above it, I would be really confused.

Just now, ngdawg said:

So you would rather be poor than rich? That's definitely a first for me. Then again, it depends what you consider poor. If lower middle class is considered poor, then this probably isn't right. By poor, I mean below the poverty line. If you say it's better to live under the poverty line than high above it, I would be really confused.

I'm not sure what the poverty line is so I couldn't tell u if I'm near it but ill tell u I'm tens of thousand of dollars below median average 

Jesus. I would have to say 30-40. We had a ton in HS 

At our school, we have 108. At other schools in our state, that number tops 130. A wide range of interests are being included and students themselves are helping prepare other students for the future in whichever field they choose to be in. And no, that 108 does not include sports.

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I'm not sure what the poverty line is so I couldn't tell u if I'm near it but ill tell u I'm tens of thousand of dollars below median average 

For a family of 4, making less than $25,100 a year is being at the poverty line. You cannot possibly tell me that living at or below the poverty line is very rewarding. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

So now you want government who people bitch about daily involved in watching your kids? 

As I do agree with you I cant add much to what you have said. All I can say is that is reality here in America. We have too many low income people having kids. They can't afford them. 

2nd problem is and I know this all too well is too many deadbeats who have kids and don't put any money towards them leaving too many single parent households where 1 parent is working multiple jobs to get by. So again they can't afford day care or any of the like

There are people becoming grandparents who are retiring just for the sheer reason of being able to watch their grandkids so the parents can go to work and not have to pay for day care. 

Kids cost a lot of money. And in this society we have too many people having kids that can't afford them. That's a major problem 

But you miss the actual crux of the problem. The country depends on low wage workers to keep costs low. If the low wage workers don't have kids you can bet your bottom dollar the business interests would and have lobbied mightily to import more low wage workers. How about a novel suggestion: increase wages for those low wage workers so they can afford the basics of life. Right off the bat you would ameliorate the childcare crisis and you would also reduce crime and blight. Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe if the poor had the basics of life, we probably would not need to spend so much money on law enforcement as crime would be reduced.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, ngdawg said:

At our school, we have 108. At other schools in our state, that number tops 130. A wide range of interests are being included and students themselves are helping prepare other students for the future in whichever field they choose to be in. And no, that 108 does not include sports.

That's a crazy amount.

All i know is we had a ton of clubs. 

All i did was sports. 

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

For a family of 4, making less than $25,100 a year is being at the poverty line. You cannot possibly tell me that living at or below the poverty line is very rewarding. 

I'm talking individually. You'd have to find out what an individual making whatever in NY is the poverty line

Its rewarding because of the amount of rewards the state and government give you 

That's a crazy amount.

All i know is we had a ton of clubs. 

All i did was sports. 

Sports are really fun, and I wish I was athletic enough for them. The rise in the number of clubs in schools over time is related to interests. Some people are interested in community service and helping those who need it, and that gives rise to one or two more clubs. Then, the need to prepare leaders in different fields for the future creates other clubs. Almost every student at every school is involved in a club nowadays, and this better prepares us as students for the future. Clubs may be the start and push needed to make the next leaders in the world. For this reason, I say our generation can create the largest change this world has ever seen.

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

But you miss the actual crux of the problem. The country depends on low wage workers to keep costs low. If the low wage workers don't have kids you can bet your bottom dollar the business interests would and have lobbied mightily to import more low wage workers. How about a novel suggestion: increase wages for those low wage workers so they can afford the basics of life. Right off the bat you would ameliorate the childcare crisis and you would also reduce crime and blight. Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe if the poor had the basics of life, we probably would not need to spend so much money on law enforcement as crime would be reduced.  

but than profits go down and people like you who invest get fucked

So now because they are poor they commit crimes? I didnt realize making no money would give you an excuse for crime 

Why don't people just humble up in whatever situation their in and not committ crimes?? 

Like i said before you keep increasing wages and benefits here in America and we won't have a company left. 

You see it now. Tesla is leaving California due to the issues there for an 84 billion dollar tax break in Austin Texas.

You have to placate the companies or lose them to overseas.

We in america have screwed ourselves on the global scale. We can't compete because we want more and more 

I'm talking individually. You'd have to find out what an individual making whatever in NY is the poverty line

Its rewarding because of the amount of rewards the state and government give you 

Individually, it is $12,140. That is not nearly enough to maintain an even moderately healthy and safe lifestyle. And I promise you that most families would rather be rich and pay a lot of taxes than be poor and get helped.

Sports are really fun, and I wish I was athletic enough for them. The rise in the number of clubs in schools over time is related to interests. Some people are interested in community service and helping those who need it, and that gives rise to one or two more clubs. Then, the need to prepare leaders in different fields for the future creates other clubs. Almost every student at every school is involved in a club nowadays, and this better prepares us as students for the future. Clubs may be the start and push needed to make the next leaders in the world. For this reason, I say our generation can create the largest change this world has ever seen.

I just fear that change won't be a good one or one that I would ever want to live in. 

Just now, ngdawg said:

Individually, it is $12,140. That is not nearly enough to maintain an even moderately healthy and safe lifestyle. And I promise you that most families would rather be rich and pay a lot of taxes than be poor and get helped.

Ok I'm slightly above that. 

I work for my money. I have no interest in paying taxes so others can stay home all day collecting that welfare check.

If i had to chose id rather collect the welfare. This way I have all day go enjoy my life 

but than profits go down and people like you who invest get fucked

So now because they are poor they commit crimes? I didnt realize making no money would give you an excuse for crime 

Why don't people just humble up in whatever situation their in and not committ crimes?? 

Like i said before you keep increasing wages and benefits here in America and we won't have a company left. 

You see it now. Tesla is leaving California due to the issues there for an 84 billion dollar tax break in Austin Texas.

You have to placate the companies or lose them to overseas.

We in america have screwed ourselves on the global scale. We can't compete because we want more and more 

Being poor is not an excuse for crime. However, those who do not have money must resort to crime in order to feed their families. That is why gangs are very prevalent and why robberies are common. It all comes back to feeding your family, just like it does for anyone else in the country. DarterBlue's suggestion sounds very reasonable and it seems like it could positively benefit everybody. Once you take the factor of feeding your family out of the equation, there is a reduced reason for crime. His logic makes sense.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Being poor is not an excuse for crime. However, those who do not have money must resort to crime in order to feed their families. That is why gangs are very prevalent and why robberies are common. It all comes back to feeding your family, just like it does for anyone else in the country. DarterBlue's suggestion sounds very reasonable and it seems like it could positively benefit everybody. Once you take the factor of feeding your family out of the equation, there is a reduced reason for crime. His logic makes sense.

No they don't. There is so much assistance in this country you don't have to resort to anything. Thats a crutch 

Go to a food kitchen. They are open everyday and get your family fed. No reason for crime. 

Gangs are mostly prevelant because there is no role model as mom is usually working multiple jobs and dad is in jail or dead

• Like 1

I just fear that change won't be a good one or one that I would ever want to live in. 

Well, that change may only take place once our generation reaches the age of 40 or 45. If you all are alive by then, congratulations! However, I can promise you that this change will be for the better. We are more educated and more prepared. We know that maintaining and economy that flourishes is very important, but we also recognize the need for social equality. We will find a way to manage both. Don't worry about whether your future is bright or not: it will be.

Well, that change may only take place once our generation reaches the age of 40 or 45. If you all are alive by then, congratulations! However, I can promise you that this change will be for the better. We are more educated and more prepared. We know that maintaining and economy that flourishes is very important, but we also recognize the need for social equality. We will find a way to manage both. Don't worry about whether your future is bright or not: it will be.

I hope I'm dead. I hardly agreed with my generation. I def don't agree with anything your generation is doing 

I always spoke to people who are older than me mostly people in their 50s and 60s. Thats who I found common ground with