Parents want school open

HSFBfan

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/parents-say-school-reopening-plans-leave-them-without-any-good-options.html

@DarterBlue

The care options are slim for Yesayan. “We don’t have any family nearby to help with the child care, and currently we can’t afford a sitter who could supervise our children on the days they are off from school,” Yesayan says. “Our projects and clients are very demanding, and we can’t do our work while acting as teachers for our twins.

The individuals in the article have the financial resources to get a nanny or tutor for their kids. I am not losing any sleep over them. Now I do recognize that many other working people don't have those options. However, I stand by what I said: the purpose of school is not to babysit kids. It is to educate and socialize. If we have relegated it to babysitting we have failed as a country. Maybe that's the reason we have to import so many engineers and scientists. We just are not producing them. How long do you think we can sit on top of the world if we continue down this foolish path? 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

The individuals in the article have the financial resources to get a nanny or tutor for their kids. I am not losing any sleep over them. Now I do recognize that many other working people don't have those options. However, I stand by what I said: the purpose of school is not to babysit kids. It is to educate and socialize. If we have relegated it to babysitting we have failed as a country. Maybe that's the reason we have to import so many engineers and scientists. We just are not producing them. How long do you think we can sit on top of the world if we continue down this foolish path? 

They literally said they do not have the means. So how can u say they dont??

I dont agree with importing anyone. Its bullshit that we import foreign people to work here 

5 hours ago, ngdawg said:

I credit the political aspect to Andrew Jackson. When the Supreme Court ruled that Cherokee Nation cannot be moved from Georgia in the landmark case Cherokee Nation v. Georgia, Andrew Jackson overrode the Supreme Court and sent the natives on the Trail of Tears. That set a terrible precedent for the future and it was furthermore amplified by the presence of monopolies in American government, who sought to improve their business over providing for the citizens. It took Theodore Roosevelt and a couple Anti-Trust laws to reduce that corruption. Law should not be influenced by politics, yet that harmful precedent was set hundreds of years ago. 

You're talking to much he won't comprehend

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

We could major in social media, look at the wonders it did for IPOTUS. 

bgw

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

They literally said they do not have the means. So how can u say they dont??

I dont agree with importing anyone. Its bullshit that we import foreign people to work here 

They do. For them it is a matter of prioritization. For many, their's is a life one paycheck away from homelessness. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

They do. For them it is a matter of prioritization. For many, their's is a life one paycheck away from homelessness. 

So r u saying their profits are not suitable for you? As a wall street investor you should be with these people 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

So r u saying their profits are not suitable for you? As a wall street investor you should be with these people 

As a trader, I am for myself. To be anything else means I am in the wrong game. You have no friends in the markets. I may chronicle what I do and to the extent anyone benefits, good for them. But my whole objective in the markets is to make money, period. If it were anything else, I would find something else to do with my time. Betting on the ponies is far more pleasurable than betting on stocks. But I have concluded that for me, at any rate, betting on stocks, up or down, is more profitable. 

As an observer of social phenomena, I look at things through the lens of history. My sympathies are with the working class because that's who I identify with. But even if I did not identify with them, I would still pursue policies that would broaden the benefits of society. Why? Simple, you get a more sustainable, safe society. And, at the end of the day, I am not a high drama kind of guy. I would rather put a kid through college or trade school than pay to arrest him or hire private security to protect me from him.