Parents want school open

HSFBfan

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Not in Florida. Parents here are very concerned. And if DeSantis forces the issue, large metro area schools will be closed within a month. Just too much virus here to open schools safely. 

Everywhere in GA outside of Savannah and Atlanta has been kinda leaning towards sending them back... 

And I don't have kids but I still think that's a Brain dead decision... 

You truly think 

1. These kids are gonna follow guidelines? 

2. Social distancing is gonna work at larger schools?

3. That this in general is a smart idea... 

What our "Mentally Stable" leader has failed to realize is the countries that are going to school are the ones that have the virus under control because they're taking it/ took it serious... 

Unfortunately we do not... And never fucking will... 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

Depends on which college you go to. If you go to a good college, you won't be able to sleep, both in classes and in your dorm room lol. There's a stark difference between going to Georgia Tech and going to Mississippi Valley and State University.

I've gone to a pretty good college here in the northeast. Ive slept in both. Im telling you you might not be able to sleep through every class but some of them yep esp in the 101 classes. Freaking boring. Its a rehash of HS. 

Like i said I had teachers fired. Ive told teachers to go fuck themselves. I was a criminal justice major. I told the chief of a police of a town not far from me who was my teacher that nobody gives a shit about his stories. To teach the material or im leaving. As i walked out of the room he shook my hand and gave me his PBA card. The room was dead quiet 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Good luck with the sports route. Very hard to get into. Def something I looked into many times. 

You don't have to excel. As nolebull said all u need is that piece of paper. Im telling you your gonna see one of 2 people in college. The kids who want to excel and are stressed out daily popping pills and shit to get through the day and the other people who are doing what they do to get their passing grades and move on. 

I know the sports route is very difficult. It also doesn't help that I'm neither white nor black. Being a sports statistician or analyst would be the absolute dream, but biomedical engineering is a close third.

There's one big problem with no excelling in college: scholarships. If you come into college on an educational scholarship, you need to maintain good grades in order to retain that scholarship. For some kids, they must do that because their family cannot afford college otherwise.

Just now, ngdawg said:

I know the sports route is very difficult. It also doesn't help that I'm neither white nor black. Being a sports statistician or analyst would be the absolute dream, but biomedical engineering is a close third.

There's one big problem with no excelling in college: scholarships. If you come into college on an educational scholarship, you need to maintain good grades in order to retain that scholarship. For some kids, they must do that because their family cannot afford college otherwise.

yeah i went on an athletic scholarship. All i had to do was keep a 2.0. I left the sport after my freshman year as I just grew tired of it and some family issues 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I've gone to a pretty good college here in the northeast. Ive slept in both. Im telling you you might not be able to sleep through every class but some of them yep esp in the 101 classes. Freaking boring. Its a rehash of HS. 

Like i said I had teachers fired. Ive told teachers to go fuck themselves. I was a criminal justice major. I told the chief of a police of a town not far from me who was my teacher that nobody gives a shit about his stories. To teach the material or im leaving. As i walked out of the room he shook my hand and gave me his PBA card. The room was dead quiet 

See, but I don't take 101 courses. I finished most 101 college-level courses by sophomore year in high school. And if this sounds odd, it really isn't. The academic world is becoming much more competitive. You need to be as smart as possible in order to get to the next level.

Cool story. What college did you go to?

See, but I don't take 101 courses. I finished most 101 college-level courses by sophomore year in high school. And if this sounds odd, it really isn't. The academic world is becoming much more competitive. You need to be as smart as possible in order to get to the next level.

Cool story. What college did you go to?

I went to 2 different ones

I started at le moyne college in Syracuse NY

I finished at st. Thomas Aquinas college in a small town in NY

I like you took college classes in HS as well. I had like 15 college credits when I went to college 

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll: By three to one, Americans reject Trump’s push to reopen schools despite COVID-19 risk

With coronavirus infections spreading fast and COVID-19 deaths climbing yet again, most Americans say the country is not ready to send children back to school this fall — and they emphatically reject every aspect of President Trump’s new effort to force public schools to fully reopen, according to the latest Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The survey, which was conducted between July 11 and 14, found a remarkable consensus on the issue of school reopenings that transcended party lines, geographic boundaries and demographic divisions.

A full 63 percent of Americans say Trump should not be pressuring schools to reopen. Only 25 percent say he should continue his push. At the same time, a mere 30 percent of Americans believe the Trump Administration is doing everything it can to stop the coronavirus.

Instead, more than three-quarters (77 percent) insist that America’s priority should be to limit the spread of the virus, even if it means students can’t physically return to schools; just 23 percent think America’s priority should be to fully reopen schools this fall, even if it increases the risk to public health.

Majorities of Democrats (95 percent), independents (72 percent), Republicans (58 percent) and parents of K-12 students (72 percent) agreed that reopening schools should take a backseat to public health. The only category of Americans who disagreed, by a slim 51 percent to 49 percent margin, was those who say they intend to vote for Trump in November.

Likewise, fewer than one quarter of Americans (23 percent) favor a return to in-person classes for children in places where there are large numbers of new COVID-19 cases. A majority (52 percent) are opposed. Again, the only group that wants schools to fully reopen in hotspots (45 percent to 29 percent) are self-described Trump voters. Even Republicans are evenly divided on the issue, with 39 percent saying yes and 38 percent saying no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

yeah i went on an athletic scholarship. All i had to do was keep a 2.0. I left the sport after my freshman year as I just grew tired of it and some family issues 

That's cool. For the Zell Miller scholarship here, I think you have to maintain a 3.7 GPA. I know several kids who have this right now and need to maintain it in college because their family can't pay for college. One kid I know has a 4.4 GPA and his father died many years ago. His mother cannot find a job because no one will accept her and the only place that accepted her fired her because she was black. The family lives with their grandparents, but it will only last for a little more time. If this kid can't maintain a 3.7 in college, his family will have to pay for college and they'll end up under the poverty line. Sad stuff.

Just now, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Hey Dammit!

This just in Fulton schools will open virtual only August 17. 

Also, GHSA cleared to resume conditioning at 50 total, Fulton mandated 20 and still had huge uptick in infections. 

bgw

Cool cool. So sports are still on?

That's cool. For the Zell Miller scholarship here, I think you have to maintain a 3.7 GPA. I know several kids who have this right now and need to maintain it in college because their family can't pay for college. One kid I know has a 4.4 GPA and his father died many years ago. His mother cannot find a job because no one will accept her and the only place that accepted her fired her because she was black. The family lives with their grandparents, but it will only last for a little more time. If this kid can't maintain a 3.7 in college, his family will have to pay for college and they'll end up under the poverty line. Sad stuff.

Very hard scholarship to keep. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I went to 2 different ones

I started at le moyne college in Syracuse NY

I finished at st. Thomas Aquinas college in a small town in NY

I like you took college classes in HS as well. I had like 15 college credits when I went to college 

Interesting. 15 college credits sounds hard, did the Advanced Placement program exist back then, too? Usually, kids take about 5 AP classes before they graduate nowadays. I think I will have 14 AP classes done by the time I finish next year.

Just now, ngdawg said:

Interesting. 15 college credits sounds hard, did the Advanced Placement program exist back then, too? Usually, kids take about 5 AP classes before they graduate nowadays. I think I will have 14 AP classes done by the time I finish next year.

Of course AP classes existed. My high school had AP classes plus they had other classes that were linked to local colleges. So you got college credits

I also took a forensics class my senior year. Of course the hardest science teacher in the school taught it 

Nah it wasn't hard to get the college credits. It was classes like business law 

5 minutes ago, DBP66 said:

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll: By three to one, Americans reject Trump’s push to reopen schools despite COVID-19 risk

With coronavirus infections spreading fast and COVID-19 deaths climbing yet again, most Americans say the country is not ready to send children back to school this fall — and they emphatically reject every aspect of President Trump’s new effort to force public schools to fully reopen, according to the latest Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The survey, which was conducted between July 11 and 14, found a remarkable consensus on the issue of school reopenings that transcended party lines, geographic boundaries and demographic divisions.

A full 63 percent of Americans say Trump should not be pressuring schools to reopen. Only 25 percent say he should continue his push. At the same time, a mere 30 percent of Americans believe the Trump Administration is doing everything it can to stop the coronavirus.

Instead, more than three-quarters (77 percent) insist that America’s priority should be to limit the spread of the virus, even if it means students can’t physically return to schools; just 23 percent think America’s priority should be to fully reopen schools this fall, even if it increases the risk to public health.

Majorities of Democrats (95 percent), independents (72 percent), Republicans (58 percent) and parents of K-12 students (72 percent) agreed that reopening schools should take a backseat to public health. The only category of Americans who disagreed, by a slim 51 percent to 49 percent margin, was those who say they intend to vote for Trump in November.

Likewise, fewer than one quarter of Americans (23 percent) favor a return to in-person classes for children in places where there are large numbers of new COVID-19 cases. A majority (52 percent) are opposed. Again, the only group that wants schools to fully reopen in hotspots (45 percent to 29 percent) are self-described Trump voters. Even Republicans are evenly divided on the issue, with 39 percent saying yes and 38 percent saying no.

See, this is a tough for me. From a student's perspective, I like schools opening, but I'm also fine with them being closed. If the risk is too great, online school should be mandatory. But in places where the risk isn't that high, schools should stay open.

The one that surprised me was that even a majority of Republicans agreed to keep schools closed. That's saying something and others need to listen.

• Like 2

Of course AP classes existed. My high school had AP classes plus they had other classes that were linked to local colleges. So you got college credits

I also took a forensics class my senior year. Of course the hardest science teacher in the school taught it 

Nah it wasn't hard to get the college credits. It was classes like business law 

Ah, I think that's changed now. The only way you can earn college credit is through AP classes. So it's getting more rigorous over time I guess. Forensics is really cool. I did a Forensic Science club in middle school and we did fingerprinting and stuff. It was really cool. And we all have that one teacher who will make your life a living hell.

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Doesn’t look good at this point, infection rate skyrocketed with groups of 20. 

bgw

Not so cool then. However, Dr. Hines of the GHSA said he wasn't alarmed by the rise. He said that his view has not changed on high school sports yet. 300 positive cases have been reported out of 400,000 high school athletes. He sees this as expected and he said this information has not altered his idea as to whether sports should continue or not.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Ah, I think that's changed now. The only way you can earn college credit is through AP classes. So it's getting more rigorous over time I guess. Forensics is really cool. I did a Forensic Science club in middle school and we did fingerprinting and stuff. It was really cool. And we all have that one teacher who will make your life a living hell.

Yep. And in your life you'll have more teachers and than you'll have bosses who will make ur life a living hell 

Yep. And in your life you'll have more teachers and than you'll have bosses who will make ur life a living hell 

I mean, I kind of expect that. Life isn't going to be easy, and trust me, I get a portion of that living hell at home too. I think I'll be ready to handle it though.

Just now, ngdawg said:

I mean, I kind of expect that. Life isn't going to be easy, and trust me, I get a portion of that living hell at home too. I think I'll be ready to handle it though.

Good luck with that. The world is different for everyone. Its whatever you wanna make of it. I can only tell you my experiences of going through life and the insights that I have from those experiences. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Not so cool then. However, Dr. Hines of the GHSA said he wasn't alarmed by the rise. He said that his view has not changed on high school sports yet. 300 positive cases have been reported out of 400,000 high school athletes. He sees this as expected and he said this information has not altered his idea as to whether sports should continue or not.

A lot of misinformation and confusion, people pulling data from different places. 

bgw

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Good luck with that. The world is different for everyone. Its whatever you wanna make of it. I can only tell you my experiences of going through life and the insights that I have from those experiences. 

Loser insight, who the hell cares what you think, go suck GSB’s balls on the Klan Rally page. 

bgw

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I'm going to try and get a job I enjoy. It wouldn't hurt if I was a spotter or statistician or something for North Gwinnett football this year (ahem @GardenStateBaller just kidding). I just want to do something I love. And I really want to go to Georgia Tech.

• Like 1