Dothan cancels on Hoover that's 2 openers canceled

HooverOutlaw

17 minutes ago, Fred said:

I thought teams in Alabama didn't cancel for any reason.  That's what you've lead us to believe anyway.

Talk to the health dept. I understand because of covid 19 . At least a little snow did not shut the state title games. Especially when it was to be played indoors.  Dothan is the one who has covid 19 cases not Hoover.  I had a bad feeling about that game vs Dothan from day 1. I think all schools will have it at some point including Hoover.  I said weeks ago Alabama should have moved games back 2 weeks so games would align better. 

Don't compare the terrible leadership of the GHSA to an Alabama team canceling a game due to covid19. Covid is a once in a lifetime issue GHSA leadership being terrible and corrupt is a daily occurrence. 

Just now, Cossacks said:

They get credit for the W? Normally if a team cancels or forfeits a game I’d say no problem. Under the circumstances this year I’m surprised it goes down as a W?

It's for tie breakers in the playoffs and for teams not to claim covid issues to avoid a loss. You could have a team who knows a 50 point loss is coming and make up covid issues to avoid getting an L.  Dothan did not do this they are a up and coming program. 

48 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Talk to the health dept. I understand because of covid 19 . At least a little snow did not shut the state title games. Especially when it was to be played indoors.  Dothan is the one who has covid 19 cases not Hoover.  I had a bad feeling about that game vs Dothan from day 1. I think all schools will have it at some point including Hoover.  I said weeks ago Alabama should have moved games back 2 weeks so games would align better. 

Don't compare the terrible leadership of the GHSA to an Alabama team canceling a game due to covid19. Covid is a once in a lifetime issue GHSA leadership being terrible and corrupt is a daily occurrence. 

What does ghsa have to do with this? @Fred didn't even mention them in the slightest sense.... 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

What do you have against the GHSA? Lemme guess...you had money on Colquitt winning in 2017.

Did not like driving halfway to Atlanta then having the game canceled for no real reason.  Streets were clear saw several pics posted of people driving all over Atlanta, teams were already at dome and fans,  NBA played and some kind of national cheerleading competition was held in downtown the damn GHSA was the only one to cancel, Alabama played in the same snow storm the day before with no issues it was a bad decision. The GHSA does not even have an idea on how a basketball court and goals should be set up and they hold the the finals.  Being in Gwinnett County you are the favorite child of the GHSA and are blind to how unfair and corrupt they are.

On 8/17/2020 at 9:22 PM, HooverOutlaw said:

Did not like driving halfway to Atlanta then having the game canceled for no real reason.  Streets were clear saw several pics posted of people driving all over Atlanta, teams were already at dome and fans,  NBA played and some kind of national cheerleading competition was held in downtown the damn GHSA was the only one to cancel, Alabama played in the same snow storm the day before with no issues it was a bad decision. The GHSA does not even have an idea on how a basketball court and goals should be set up and they hold the the finals.  Being in Gwinnett County you are the favorite child of the GHSA and are blind to how unfair and corrupt they are.

So your limited sample of the weather where you were makes you an authority on conditions all over GA in those areas teams and fans were trying to come from.  My brother-in-law was a weatherman in the Atlanta area for close to 29 years and he always said how difficult it was to predict Atlanta and most of N GA weather.  But pay no attention to him, he just made a living for a long time watching Atlanta and Ga weather.

Last time I looked, the GHSA had no authority over the NBA.  The situations were and are totally different yet you seem to have a hard time understanding that.  Nor did the GHSA have any authority over a national cheer leading competition.  All they had authority and responsibility over was the GA high school football playoffs and the teams and fans coming to the Dome at least some of whom were riding big yellow school buses.  *No* championship is worth the risk of a bus being in an accident and someone being hurt.  As important as it is to some, in the scheme of things it is/was just a game that got played later.  I hate it for you that you got a little inconvenienced but that's life.

There are 450ish high schools that are members of the GHSA.  Each school has equal representation.  Gwinnett has 20 or 21 high schools.  I know this may be a stretch for you but do you really think 20-21 schools can control what 450 do?  You've been listening to Rab some much you act as though you believe that mess he spews.

5 hours ago, Fred said:

*No* championship is worth the risk of a bus being in an accident and someone being hurt.  

But, today they have plans to start football during a pandemic, with kids on teams and at schools testing positive for covid-19 almost every day and spreading the virus. 

Safety took a back seat all of a sudden or what? They appear to get it both ways to me. When it's convenient they get to claim safety of the kids so it's alright to inconvenience everyone but, now it's fuck the safety, we're playing ball, when it's not just the safety of the kids, but, potentially their families and the rest of us. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fred said:

So your limited sample of the weather where you were makes you an authority on conditions all over GA in those areas teams and fans were trying to come from.  My brother-in-law was a weatherman in the Atlanta area for close to 29 years and he always said how difficult it was to predict Atlanta and most of N GA weather.  But pay no attention to him, he just made a living for a long time watching Atlanta and Ga weather.

Last time I looked, the GHSA had no authority over the NBA.  The situations were and are totally different yet you seem to have a hard time understanding that.  Nor did the GHSA have any authority over a national cheer leading competition.  All they had authority and responsibility over was the GA high school football playoffs and the teams and fans coming to the Dome at least some of whom were riding big yellow school buses.  *No* championship is worth the risk of a bus being in an accident and someone being hurt.  As important as it is to some, in the scheme of things it is/was just a game that got played later.  I hate it for you that you got a little inconvenienced but that's life.

There are 450ish high schools that are members of the GHSA.  Each school has equal representation.  Gwinnett has 20 or 21 high schools.  I know this may be a stretch for you but do you really think 20-21 schools can control what 450 do?  You've been listening to Rab some much you act as though you believe that mess he spews.

Fact you already had teams in Atlanta and 2 already at the dome.  Why not let them play they have to drive back anyway.  Point made about the NBA and cheerleading event they understood they weather was not bad enough to cancel. They were tons of pictures on the internet of people already at the dome and people driving  on the streets. Numerous post about no issues on the streets.  Yes I do believe like many others Gwinnett County has corrupt control and Influence over the ghsa.  Nobody outside of Gwinnett County thought it was a good idea to cancel the games.   The GHSA is a dirty stain on high school athletes. When you can't even set up the goals in the correct location for the basketball state title games tells anybody they are terrible. You got an excuse for them setting the goals up wrong?  

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

But, today they have plans to start football during a pandemic, with kids on teams and at schools testing positive for covid-19 almost every day and spreading the virus. 

Safety took a back seat all of a sudden or what? They appear to get it both ways to me. When it's convenient they get to claim safety of the kids so it's alright to inconvenience everyone but, now it's fuck the safety, we're playing ball, when it's not just the safety of the kids, but, potentially their families and the rest of us. 

I'm not advocating starting the season.  To me, there are too many unknowns.  There are plenty of people clamoring to get started (many on this site as an example) and saying this virus is nothing to worry about.  I worry about the long term effects of even a mild case.  I have been soul searching about attending games if the season is played and I am currently leaning to not attending as I and my wife are in several of the high risk categories.  I personally think that even if the season gets started, and that is a big if, that it will get cancelled.  I think the GHSA is listening to the parents and the medical professionals.  Some very vocal parents are screaming get started.  The GHSA has said okay but with some stringent restrictions in place.  As soon as it can be shown that it is too risky (and I have no idea who makes that determination) they will pull the plug.  I look at the school systems that have opened for full in person instruction and I'm watching them have to close schools on a regular basis.  Cherokee County opened to much fanfare with the superintendent making all of these bold statements about the virus being a hoax and now within 10 days they have shut down 3 high schools.

I say all of this to point out there are societal issues bigger than the GHSA forcing them to attempt to start the season.  There are most likely members of the various executive boards of the GHSA that don't believe it is a problem.  I think they are playing with old dynamite myself but I'm not a member of those boards. 

18 minutes ago, Fred said:

I'm not advocating starting the season.  To me, there are too many unknowns.  There are plenty of people clamoring to get started (many on this site as an example) and saying this virus is nothing to worry about.  I worry about the long term effects of even a mild case.  I have been soul searching about attending games if the season is played and I am currently leaning to not attending as I and my wife are in several of the high risk categories.  I personally think that even if the season gets started, and that is a big if, that it will get cancelled.  I think the GHSA is listening to the parents and the medical professionals.  Some very vocal parents are screaming get started.  The GHSA has said okay but with some stringent restrictions in place.  As soon as it can be shown that it is too risky (and I have no idea who makes that determination) they will pull the plug.  I look at the school systems that have opened for full in person instruction and I'm watching them have to close schools on a regular basis.  Cherokee County opened to much fanfare with the superintendent making all of these bold statements about the virus being a hoax and now within 10 days they have shut down 3 high schools.

I say all of this to point out there are societal issues bigger than the GHSA forcing them to attempt to start the season.  There are most likely members of the various executive boards of the GHSA that don't believe it is a problem.  I think they are playing with old dynamite myself but I'm not a member of those boards. 

You are not the only one not attending games. You will see record low turn out for games this season.  It will be miracle if any teams play a full schedule.

2 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Fact you already had teams in Atlanta and 2 already at the dome.  Why not let them play they have to drive back anyway.  Point made about the NBA and cheerleading event they understood they weather was not bad enough to cancel. They were tons of pictures on the internet of people already at the dome and people driving  on the streets. Numerous post about no issues on the streets.  Yes I do believe like many others Gwinnett County has corrupt control and Influence over the ghsa.  Nobody outside of Gwinnett County thought it was a good idea to cancel the games.   The GHSA is a dirty stain on high school athletes. When you can't even set up the goals in the correct location for the basketball state title games tells anybody they are terrible. You got an excuse for them setting the goals up wrong?  

You just don't get it.  You don't live here and don't understand how rapidly things can change and then what happens.  I've lived weather events where nothing but a forecasted light dusting of snow turn into major snow and ice events where people were trapped in cars and didn't get home for days.  You don't want to bring more people that you are responsible for into that situation nor do you want to hold people already here and run the risk of them getting trapped.  You suck it up and stop people from coming and send those already here home.  Let me say it loud and slow for you.  THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS EVENT AND A HIGH SCHOOL SPONSORED EVENT!  The NBA takes no responsibility for *anything* that happens to the their fans.  It even says so on the tickets if you haven't read the fine print.  All of those people you keep talking about are individuals making personal decisions about what they will do.  That is vastly different from school sponsored teams, cheerleaders, and bands riding school provided transportation being told they will come to an event.  The fans are making individual decisions about attending but unlike pro sports they normally have a vested interest other than entertainment to attend.  That vested interest is their child, sibling, or other relative and that drives the motivation much harder.

So you live roughly 200 miles away in another state and you fully understand all of the nuances and daily interactions of Gwinnett's involvement with the GHSA.  Right.  Nobody outside of Gwinnett Co thought it was a good idea to cancel the games?  So you have personally polled *everyone* in the State of Georgia from your home in Hoover, Alabama  and have compiled that data.  Please do share it with us.  The reality is you've only heard from those that were unhappy and are projecting that onto everyone else.  That is a major logical mistake.  I'm *really* glad you aren't the one making decisions for Gwinnett and the GHSA.

Absolutely the goals in the wrong place was a mistake.  I only know of one person that made no mistakes.  All we can do is try to recover and go forward with safeguards in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.  It shouldn't have happened to begin with but it did.

Since GA high school athletics and the GHSA cause you so much distress, why don't you stick to your Alabama sports?  You might be much happier.

The weather is no different in Atlanta than Birmingham they both are about the same as far as North and South goes.  All these weather chances you talk about you act like Atlanta is nearly in the Arctic Circle. You must have forgot the same snow storm went through Alabama the day before we played in the outdoors. 

They still made those teams drive back home in what you describe as dangerous weather. Plus they had no back up plan.  If you remember message boards and Twitter was full of stories about the roads were fine from people who were at the Benz said they had no issues driving. But we got one Grayson fan who claims they were dangerous and agrees with canceling the games.

The AHSAA is not perfect but 100x better than the GHSA.

Explain to me about not having BB goals set correctly for the title games.

You have any evidence of anybody who was happy they were canceled.

1 hour ago, Fred said:

The GHSA isn't being forced, they're making a choice. They made a choice to inconvenience everyone for the "safety of the kids" in 2017. Fast forward to 2020 and it's fuck the safety of the kids. 

Wishy washy s.o.b.s is what they are. If it was prudent to postpone state championship games on the "thought" and fear a bus could have an accident and a kid get injured, it seems that it should be prudent to take similar action now when the unknowns are even bigger and the potential safety hazard is statewide and not just in Atlanta or on the interstate to and from. 

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The GHSA isn't being forced, they're making a choice. They made a choice to inconvenience everyone for the "safety of the kids" in 2017. Fast forward to 2020 and it's fuck the safety of the kids. 

Wishy washy s.o.b.s is what they are. If it was prudent to postpone state championship games on the "thought" and fear a bus could have an accident and a kid get injured, it seems that it should be prudent to take similar action now when the unknowns are even bigger and the potential safety hazard is statewide and not just in Atlanta or on the interstate to and from. 

Per Fred the GHSA is perfect and everyone is happy with them.

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There are far too many people not taking this virus serious at all levels and walks.  Pretty difficult to make decisions people will agree with and support when we can't agree on if it is a problem.  Heck, look at the number of people wanting to open things up then not wanting to the things needed to reopen.  Suddenly everyone is an infectious disease expert.

12 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The weather is no different in Atlanta than Birmingham they both are about the same as far as North and South goes.  All these weather chances you talk about you act like Atlanta is nearly in the Arctic Circle. You must have forgot the same snow storm went through Alabama the day before we played in the outdoors. 

They still made those teams drive back home in what you describe as dangerous weather. Plus they had no back up plan.  If you remember message boards and Twitter was full of stories about the roads were fine from people who were at the Benz said they had no issues driving. But we got one Grayson fan who claims they were dangerous and agrees with canceling the games.

The AHSAA is not perfect but 100x better than the GHSA.

Explain to me about not having BB goals set correctly for the title games.

You have any evidence of anybody who was happy they were canceled.

You would be wrong in your assertion that the weather is the same.  Local conditions are often vastly different between Birmingham and Atlanta.  Again, you don't live here.  You don't know.  I'll stick with the weatherman with decades of experience that you dang sure don't have.  I'll stick with over 6 decades of personal experience vs someone that lives 200 miles away and styles himself as an expert on all things Georgia, Metro Atlanta, and Gwinnett.

If there is a chance of things deteriorating, you don't continue to bring people in and you work to get people home as soon as possible.  Once again, weather events like this in Atlanta, not Birmingham but Atlanta, are prone to be called wrong and/or deteriorate rapidly.  I've been part of a group that made decisions for a large institution on opening or closing.  Anything you do will be wrong so you just have to do the best you can.

Did you not see where I said what happened at the basketball championships was wrong.  Here I'll make it easy so you don't even have to scroll up to see - "Absolutely the goals in the wrong place was a mistake.  I only know of one person that made no mistakes.  All we can do is try to recover and go forward with safeguards in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.  It shouldn't have happened to begin with but it did."

Projecting what you want to believe on everyone else is a serious failure of critical thinking.

Again, why do you care what happens in Georgia?  Is it because your coaching hero has had bad experiences here?  I just for the life of me can't figure out why this is of such importance to you.

This is futile.  You see only what you want to see and can't seem to think outside of your box so I think I'm done with this discussion. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fred said:

You would be wrong in your assertion that the weather is the same.  Local conditions are often vastly different between Birmingham and Atlanta.  Again, you don't live here.  You don't know.  I'll stick with the weatherman with decades of experience that you dang sure don't have.  I'll stick with over 6 decades of personal experience vs someone that lives 200 miles away and styles himself as an expert on all things Georgia, Metro Atlanta, and Gwinnett.

If there is a chance of things deteriorating, you don't continue to bring people in and you work to get people home as soon as possible.  Once again, weather events like this in Atlanta, not Birmingham but Atlanta, are prone to be called wrong and/or deteriorate rapidly.  I've been part of a group that made decisions for a large institution on opening or closing.  Anything you do will be wrong so you just have to do the best you can.

Did you not see where I said what happened at the basketball championships was wrong.  Here I'll make it easy so you don't even have to scroll up to see - "Absolutely the goals in the wrong place was a mistake.  I only know of one person that made no mistakes.  All we can do is try to recover and go forward with safeguards in place to ensure it doesn't happen again.  It shouldn't have happened to begin with but it did."

Projecting what you want to believe on everyone else is a serious failure of critical thinking.

Again, why do you care what happens in Georgia?  Is it because your coaching hero has had bad experiences here?  I just for the life of me can't figure out why this is of such importance to you.

This is futile.  You see only what you want to see and can't seem to think outside of your box so I think I'm done with this discussion. 

You are the easiest person on here to take the bait hook line and sinker.  Plus you are the only person to defend the GHSA.