Friday night Florida games

Columbiafan

3 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

They weren't that bad a team last year but it seems they lost a lot of talent this year 

I'm actually very surprised at some of their results from last season. 

They lost 60 - 54 to Elder (OH) last season. Elder was 12-3 and lost 21-14 to Pick Central in their State Title game. Not sure if this means Clearwater Ac. Int. was pretty good or Elder and OH was having a kind of soft year. Seems like it would lean to the latter.

Clearwater Academy beat a decent Atlantic team 14-9. Atlantic was 8-4 on the season, Atlantic's notable losses were 26-0 to STA and 27-7 to Columbus. Solid local win (Atlantic's best win seems to be when they beat Columbia 34-21) but you can see they weren't anything beyond a generic 2nd round exit.

Clearwater Academy beat McCallie 18-8 last year, McCallie is a decent team for what they are in TN. McCallie was 10-3 and won their state title over Montgomery Bell, 28-7. That likely doesn't say much to be positive about in regards to McCallie.

In Florida, they don't seem to be anything more than a decent "local team" on a big class level. The 14-9 win over Atlantic isn't anything to really brag about, and that seems to be the best barometer of their level of play.

Clearwater Academy lost to Madison County 36-28. MC is a good small school team. MC went 12-2 and won the 1A title. Mad Co. lost to Columbia 32-21 and lost to Lakewood 21-20 (Lakewood was 12-1 on the 4A level). 

Not sure this Clearwater Academy team is all that good. From what it looks like they were about on the level of an 8 win team on the 6A or 7A level. But looking at this opening result, had they had a similar team to last season...they should have been way more competitive. They either lost a TON from last year's team or they showed up completely unprepared.

Nothing about this team, especially their results of play, is consistent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DownSouth said:

I'm actually very surprised at some of their results from last season. 

They lost 60 - 54 to Elder (OH) last season. Elder was 12-3 and lost 21-14 to Pick Central in their State Title game. Not sure if this means Clearwater Ac. Int. was pretty good or Elder and OH was having a kind of soft year. Seems like it would lean to the latter.

Clearwater Academy beat a decent Atlantic team 14-9. Atlantic was 8-4 on the season, Atlantic's notable losses were 26-0 to STA and 27-7 to Columbus. Solid local win (Atlantic's best win seems to be when they beat Columbia 34-21) but you can see they weren't anything beyond a generic 2nd round exit.

Clearwater Academy beat McCallie 18-8 last year, McCallie is a decent team for what they are in TN. McCallie was 10-3 and won their state title over Montgomery Bell, 28-7. That likely doesn't say much to be positive about in regards to McCallie.

In Florida, they don't seem to be anything more than a decent "local team" on a big class level. The 14-9 win over Atlantic isn't anything to really brag about, and that seems to be the best barometer of their level of play.

Clearwater Academy lost to Madison County 36-28. MC is a good small school team. MC went 12-2 and won the 1A title. Mad Co. lost to Columbia 32-21 and lost to Lakewood 21-20 (Lakewood was 12-1 on the 4A level). 

Not sure this Clearwater Academy team is all that good. From what it looks like they were about on the level of an 8 win team on the 6A or 7A level. But looking at this opening result, had they had a similar team to last season...they should have been way more competitive. They either lost a TON from last year's team or they showed up completely unprepared.

Nothing about this team, especially their results of play, is consistent.

Atlantic looked decent and was a faster Defense then anyone I've seen up in North Florida but their offense definitely could have been better, Columbia was pretty banged up when the game happened on the defensive side of the ball (I think we had between 5-7 players who started on defense week 1 who were out by time we played Atlantic) but I was told Atlantic had better teams in prior years 

It did seem Clearwater really struggled against the run last night and while I've mostly only seen highlights of last year, they definitely were better last year 

This being their first game may have played a factor as well since Brentwood Academy had more playing time under their belt this year but I do think the game would have been closer if it was CAI from last year