Vaccines: In praise of human ingenuity

15yds4gibberish

Sometimes when we witness athleticism of surpassing grace, art of transforming beauty, science of unimaginable brilliance, it leaves us in awe of the profound range and ability of humans.  It’s hard to fathom sometimes that we are all of the same species…

The two announced vaccines, and the brilliance behind the mRNA technology, falls into this category.  With some basic cautions, we don’t have much more than press releases to go on, nobody yet knows how long the vaccines will protect, and while the task will be large and complex we’re 8ish months away, this is the news that changes everything.

For now we need mitigation measures to avoid mass casualties (infection delayed is infection potentially denied), and economic relief to get people through a dark pandemic winter (interest rates are low, and there is now a bound on how long we need to support small businesses and workers).  Will we build these bridges to a better future?   Will R’s sabotage this?

Meanwhile 1500 more Americans died yesterday.  77K Americans are currently in the hospital.  

3 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sometimes when we witness athleticism of surpassing grace, art of transforming beauty, science of unimaginable brilliance, it leaves us in awe of the profound range and ability of humans.  It’s hard to fathom sometimes that we are all of the same species…

The two announced vaccines, and the brilliance behind the mRNA technology, falls into this category.  With some basic cautions, we don’t have much more than press releases to go on, nobody yet knows how long the vaccines will protect, and while that task will be large and complex we’re 8ish months away, this is the news that changes everything.

For now we need mitigation measures to avoid mass casualties (infection delayed is infection potentially denied), and economic relief to get people through a dark pandemic winter (interest rates are low, and there is now a bound on how long we need to support small businesses and workers).  Will we build these bridges to a better future?   Will R’s sabotage this?

Meanwhile 1500 more Americans died yesterday.  77K Americans are currently in the hospital.  

I didn’t know if I was looking at my stocks or that covid chart, 

76460D48-E967-40EE-A7F7-774412CCFBE8.jpeg

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

What's the average Joe suppose to believe or do?

I'm not sure the RedZone family is ready to make that call just yet.

Wearing a mask and not being stupid has worked so far. 

Sounds to me like you already know exactly what you need to do to protect yourself and your loved ones.  I’d also suggest now that the infection is burning out of control, every activity is higher risk, so it’s a good time to redouble vigilance until the vaccine arrives.

But I do want to use this opportunity to provide an overly simplified example to illustrate how a vaccine on the horizon might influence rational personal (micro) and policy (macro) decisions. 

Take your favorite local restaurant, employing say 10 people.

You love the place, it is essential to the charm of the neighborhood.   But you also know that dining in a restaurant is an especially high risk activity cuz you gotta remove your mask to eat among strangers.  So you don’t go.   A lot of people don't go for the exact same reasons.  The restaurant can’t afford to stay open, so it goes out of business.

Policy wise, in this example, up to 10 people are unemployed in a bad job market.  As a general rule, these restaurant workers aren’t part of the investor class, so the Fed propping up stock prices isn’t helping them to pay the bills.  These workers need help.  The restaurant owner also needs help so the restaurant can re-open when the pandemic is over…Helping these people to get through the next 8ish months is the step the federal government needs to take now to forestall a much slower recovery…Without it, plenty of Americans will continue to suffer long past the pandemic.  I’m not optimistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

You literally scalded your kids' hands with hot water thinking it killed the virus lol. 

Pretty stupid. 😂

12 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

You literally scalded your kids' hands with hot water thinking it killed the virus lol. 

Pretty stupid. 😂

NO, this was pretty stupid....😄

USING hot, warm or cold water is a legitimate choice.....there is NO wrong choice. HOT made sense to me, it still does. My kids hands are fine. Thanks.

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

Fuck that, the RedZone Creatures were bitching that they gotta was their hands,.. do I gotta pull up the Posts when u were bitching about being sanitary 

1 hour ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Sounds to me like you already know exactly what you need to do to protect yourself and your loved ones.  I’d also suggest now that the infection is burning out of control, every activity is higher risk, so it’s a good time to redouble vigilance until the vaccine arrives.

But I do want to use this opportunity to provide an overly simplified example to illustrate how a vaccine on the horizon might influence rational personal (micro) and policy (macro) decisions. 

You love the place, it is essential to the charm of the neighborhood.   But you also know that dining in a restaurant is an especially high risk activity cuz you gotta remove your mask to eat among strangers.  So you don’t go.   A lot of people don't go for the exact same reasons.  The restaurant can’t afford to stay open, so it goes out of business.

Policy wise, in this example, up to 10 people are unemployed in a bad job market.  As a general rule, these restaurant workers aren’t part of the investor class, so the Fed propping up stock prices isn’t helping them to pay the bills.  These workers need help.  The restaurant owner also needs help so the restaurant can re-open when the pandemic is over…Helping these people to get through the next 8ish months is the step the federal government needs to take now to forestall a much slower recovery…Without it, plenty of Americans will continue to suffer long past the pandemic.  I’m not optimistic.

Lol Red is fucking clueless and a pathological liar

On 4/9/2020 at 9:05 AM, RedZone said:

How do you see coronavirus playing out?....will it ever play out?

I've read just about everything there is to read on coronavirus and I've come to the conclusion we are just wasting time. Peaks, curves, flattening, miracle drugs, models, and this and that. Sorta tired of it all.

Anyways, I'm pretty tired of this lockdown, hand washing and etc.

🤥 

3 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Fuck that, the RedZone Creatures were bitching that they gotta was their hands,.. do I gotta pull up the Posts when u were bitching about being sanitary 

You can pull up whatever the fuck you want to pull up about it, idiot.

Most people know what that post was about and when it was made (March). Your one-term president had a lot to do with it.

Truthfully, I feel about the same way today though only we are not completely locked down at the moment, probably coming again soon....AND, for 6 or 7 months we did waste time, valuable time fucking around

Take a hike with your flaky ass!

4 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

If the majority of the money from the stimulus package went to the little people who are most impacted instead of fat corporations or not essential government agencies, the outlook would be better for the average Joe.   How much did NASA get?  We can wait on samples of space dust from some far away galaxy.

5 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Buddy of mine sold his bar a couple months back.....tired of the hassle being the main reason. It was a local bar not very many tourists. That's deep. Not sure who he sold it too. I guess they know the deal.

He believes nothing will ever be as it was. Probably some truth in that, at least here. Lots of stuff closing up.