OT: 1960 Home Run Derby Mickey Mantle vs. Willie Mays

BigDrop

Taylor Douthit played in the 20s. He won a championship with Cardinals I believe. He lived on same street as my grandma in Fremont, Ca. He was very old when I was a kid but let me visit when I was visiting her. He had some amazing stories about the game and great players he played against. Will never forget the time he gave to me. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 181pl said:

Had no idea some of you guys were around to actually watch these legends play live. Super cool. I was a kid in the 70's so I saw a lot of the Big Red Machine in Tampa during spring, but nothing like what you guys had. Wow.

My wife and I have come very close to moving to Clearwater Beach and, sooner or later, will.

I have a good, long standing friend who grew up in Cincinnati and shared Coney Island (on the river in the '70's), the opening year of the Beast at Kings Island ('78), watching Gerry Faust's Moeller crush DeMatha 34-0, both Skyline and Camp Washington Chili and, both Graeter's and Avignonmesi ice cream and, most importantly, one of the great home towns anywhere on earth.

I love both Cincinnati and the people.  I've had great experiences there dating to the '70's.  

Still, as a retiree, the Tampa Bay area-at my age-is one of the great places on earth.  You are lucky to live there.

I once had four dozen oysters at Shell's at the foot of the bridge to Sand Key.

I still brag about that to anyone who will listen to me...

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

My wife and I have come very close to moving to Clearwater Beach and, sooner or later, will.

I have a good, long standing friend who grew up in Cincinnati and shared Coney Island (on the river in the '70's), the opening year of the Beast at Kings Island ('78), watching Gerry Faust's Moeller crush DeMatha 34-0, both Skyline and Camp Washington Chili and, both Graeter's and Avignonmesi ice cream and, most importantly, one of the great home towns anywhere on earth.

I love both Cincinnati and the people.  I've had great experiences there dating to the '70's.  

Still, as a retiree, the Tampa Bay area-at my age-is one of the great places on earth.  You are lucky to live there.

I once had four dozen oysters at Shell's at the foot of the bridge to Sand Key.

I still brag about that to anyone who will listen to me...

Cincinnati is good to go BigDrop. I was there for the Skyline Chili showdown when Cocoa played Colerain. Great game, great food, great weather, and a Great city. I was surprised at how well kept that area of the city is. Been all over Ohio and fell in love whit an Ohio girl when I was 20. Wonder what she is up too. lol.

59 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cincinnati is good to go BigDrop. I was there for the Skyline Chili showdown when Cocoa played Colerain. Great game, great food, great weather, and a Great city. I was surprised at how well kept that area of the city is. Been all over Ohio and fell in love whit an Ohio girl when I was 20. Wonder what she is up too. lol.

Wow!  I've called people from years ago and some times found they were right for that point of my life but perhaps not now.  Having said this at my 50 year high school reunion I ran into my best friend from high school who I hadn't seen in a long, long time.  Even though so much time had passed we still had discovered a great many interests that we shared, totally different from when we were in school.

For the last four years I've talked to him at least once every two weeks or so.

By the way, he lives in Boynton Beach.

....everybody seems to live in Florida...

Still, your Ohio girl friend from years ago is really intriguing.  

16 hours ago, 181pl said:

Had no idea some of you guys were around to actually watch these legends play live. Super cool. I was a kid in the 70's so I saw a lot of the Big Red Machine in Tampa during spring, but nothing like what you guys had. Wow.

Yeah... Major league sports had a culture and connection with the fans during the 50's through the 70's we will not likely see again. Not only was there the "Home Run Derby" but the annual "College All Star Game" which was a highly anticipated event leading into the new NFL season. Even HS football was more emotionally connected to both the players and the fans. For those who had the experience to attend HS football championship games where the attendance exceeded 90 thousand plus is something you never forget.

Totally O.T. but you guys and the places that y'all think are the best places to go to... 

While this is beautiful to look at...

Image result

You know what comes with it?

Related image

Image result for packed beaches in tampa

Hell, the older I get the more I like quiet, sleepy little places...

Places like St. Marks/Wakulla County.

Image result for st. marks lighthouse florida

Shit I can live around there and drive 20 minutes to Tallahassee anytime I want anything special, or to see...

Image result for tallahassee traffic jam US 319

That, vs. this?

Yeah, I'll take the latter. 

:D

• Like 1