Georgia HSFB preseason rankings

Ga96

1 minute ago, Yard Dart said:

I notice there's a lot of "County" schools in Ga.  Are these small Counties?  Sparsely populated Counties?  One ISD Counties?  One high school Counties?  I don't recall Texas having any "County" schools, so I'm curious about the ones in Ga.  We do have "Consolidated" ISDs, where kids come from several surrounding towns to attend one school.  Is that what a County school is?

There are definitely a lot of small counties which only need one GHSA school, hence the "County" name. Georgia does in fact have the 2nd most counties of any US state. But there are also some counties where other schools do exist too. For example, Cherokee High School is the namesake of Cherokee County. Other schools in that county include Sequoyah, Woodstock, and River Ridge. But overall, yes, most schools with "County" in the name represent whole county, especially if it's a small one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Also no way I'd have CG in the top 10 right now... 

Whole coaching staff gone plus graduation losses? 

Big Yikes... 

They gotta show us they are top 10 worthy... 

They got the schedule to do so...  

Yeah that's why i put according to score atlanta and ajc. I wouldn't have them in the top 10 neither.

13 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

There are definitely a lot of small counties which only need one GHSA school, hence the "County" name. Georgia does in fact have the 2nd most counties of any US state. But there are also some counties where other schools do exist too. For example, Cherokee High School is the namesake of Cherokee County. Other schools in that county include Sequoyah, Woodstock, and River Ridge. But overall, yes, most schools with "County" in the name represent whole county, especially if it's a small one.

Another example in Lowndes county we have Lowndes,Valdosta,Valwood(private), Georgia Christian(private), Highland Christian Academy(private), Open Bible Christian( private), Victory Christian school(private), Light House Christian(private).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Lowndes at #3 having to replace 19 starters makes no sense. Unless the entire class is down. 

Our back ups played a lot last year due to Covid. Where were you yesterday for the Lowndes show? Our OC broke all of it down.

39 minutes ago, Yard Dart said:

I notice there's a lot of "County" schools in Ga.  Are these small Counties?  Sparsely populated Counties?  One ISD Counties?  One high school Counties?  I don't recall Texas having any "County" schools, so I'm curious about the ones in Ga.  We do have "Consolidated" ISDs, where kids come from several surrounding towns to attend one school.  Is that what a County school is?

It's a mix some are small and some are older schools that have been open a long time.... 

Best example to use would be Lowndes and Valdosta.... 

Lowndes serves every community in Lowndes County  outside of the city of Valdosta and a very small portion of the city of Valdosta.... so it's a County school and operates on a completely different system and BOE than Valdosta HS... Valdosta HS Serves most of the city of Valdosta and operates on its own system a city system and BOE... 

Example Lowndes may get out of school in May but Valdosta HS might not get out till June...  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Yard Dart said:

Several people have answered so you should have a good idea.  Gwinnett Co has 23 high schools in the county system with 18 or 19 (I forget) and 3 or 4 major privates.  Greater Atlanta Christian (GAC) is the biggest and plays in 3A along with Westminster who is smaller.  Hebron plays in 1A and there are several privates near Gwinnett that draw plenty of Gwinnett players.  Buford City Schools is also probably 75% or slightly more in Gwinnett with the remainder in Hall.  Gwinnett chooses to go with big schools.  Our largest is around 4,000 and we are broken into clusters around each of the major high schools (we have some theme schools that don't play sports).  The Grayson cluster has about 47,000 +/- in population.  This is the same population roughly as Colquitt Co and is way bigger than many if not most of the smaller counties in the state.  With 180,000 student in the system, we are the 13th largest system in the country.  Most of our schools are in the top classification with 2 or maybe 3 in the next one down.  While some of the other counties in the metro area have some large schools as well, many of them are a little smaller.  DeKalb for example is right next to use with a somewhat smaller population but they choose to max out their high schools around 1,500 or so.  They have 1 or 2 that play in the top class but it varies from year to year depending on their enrollment.  Some of the more rural ares in the state such as Colquitt, Camdem, Tift, and Lowndes as examples choose to go the larger school route and have 1 high school per county.  Other counties that have the population base to have one large school tend to go with multiple smaller schools and play in lower classifications. Many smaller counties don't have the population base and play in the lower classifications.  Those often are also single high school counties.  We have counties where the entire population base is no bigger than possibly one of Gwinnett's largest schools and certainly smaller than two Gwinnett schools combined.

This is very long answer to your simple question but hopefully you can better understand about the variety of scenarios we have and why you see many schools named after their county.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fred said:

Several people have answered so you should have a good idea.  Gwinnett Co has 23 high schools in the county system with 18 or 19 (I forget) and 3 or 4 major privates.  Greater Atlanta Christian (GAC) is the biggest and plays in 3A along with Westminster who is smaller.  Hebron plays in 1A and there are several privates near Gwinnett that draw plenty of Gwinnett players.  Buford City Schools is also probably 75% or slightly more in Gwinnett with the remainder in Hall.  Gwinnett chooses to go with big schools.  Our largest is around 4,000 and we are broken into clusters around each of the major high schools (we have some theme schools that don't play sports).  The Grayson cluster has about 47,000 +/- in population.  This is the same population roughly as Colquitt Co and is way bigger than many if not most of the smaller counties in the state.  With 180,000 student in the system, we are the 13th largest system in the country.  Most of our schools are in the top classification with 2 or maybe 3 in the next one down.  While some of the other counties in the metro area have some large schools as well, many of them are a little smaller.  DeKalb for example is right next to use with a somewhat smaller population but they choose to max out their high schools around 1,500 or so.  They have 1 or 2 that play in the top class but it varies from year to year depending on their enrollment.  Some of the more rural ares in the state such as Colquitt, Camdem, Tift, and Lowndes as examples choose to go the larger school route and have 1 high school per county.  Other counties that have the population base to have one large school tend to go with multiple smaller schools and play in lower classifications. Many smaller counties don't have the population base and play in the lower classifications.  Those often are also single high school counties.  We have counties where the entire population base is no bigger than possibly one of Gwinnett's largest schools and certainly smaller than two Gwinnett schools combined.

This is very long answer to your simple question but hopefully you can better understand about the variety of scenarios we have and why you see many schools named after their county.

Tift and Colquitt are both Rural communities with a large youth population if the amount of youth was proportional to other similar counties both Colquitt and Tift would be 5A with  Ware County

Camden and Lowndes are more Suburban than rural.... 

Lowndes and Valdosta HS are both sizeable.... Lowndes enrollment last I checked was right at about 3200... 

Valdosta is somewhere between 2000-2200 

Both Colquitt and Tift are about 2900 

Camden is right behind Lowndes at 3100 on the dot... 

Theres not too many Multi-school communities in South GA... 

Let's see:

Mitchell County: 

Mitchell HS (Camilla,GA)-1A

Pelham HS (GA) -2A

Doughtery County: 

Doughtery HS (Albany,GA)-4A

Westover HS (Albany,GA)-4A

Charles Monroe HS (Albany,GA)-4A

There was a Albany HS but it closed 2-3 years ago... school was 120 years old... they decided to close it due to budget restraints and the school Zone shrinking.... it had the lowest enrollment of all the other schools it was 2A school (Barely) if it it where open now they would barely be a 1A school.... 

Thomas County: 

Thomasville HS -2A

Thomas County Central -4A

Both schools are in the city of Thomasville... Thomasville HS is closer to downtown and Central is a Suburban school... Thomasville as a whole is a literal hop from Tallahassee FL... 

Lowndes County:

Lowndes HS -7A

Valdosta HS -6A

Both are in the city of Valdosta.... and very little separates the 2 schools... 

Lowndes HS is right off the first major exit when you go across the FL-GA border... 

Bulloch County:

Statesboro HS-6A

Southeast Bulloch HS-3A

Portal HS-2A

Bryan County: 

Bryan HS-1A

Richmond Hills HS-6A

Glynn County:

Brunswick HS-6A

Glynn Academy-6A 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:04 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Tift and Colquitt are both Rural communities with a large youth population if the amount of youth was proportional to other similar counties both Colquitt and Tift would be 5A with  Ware County

I guess there must not be as much for the parents to do in Tift and Colquitt counties as there is in Ware Co. 😮😎

39 minutes ago, Fred said:

I guess there must not be as much for the parents to do in Tift and Colquitt counties as there is in Ware Co. 😮😎

The one plus for Ware County is that it's less than an hour and a half from Valdosta and Jacksonville,FL and Savannah so you're close to things to do... 

And tbh... yea... 

Ware County has better fishing spots and outdoors things to do thanks to the Okefenokee Swamp...