NJ's fav sportswriter on Toal move to BC

golfaddict1

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

Well BC is definitely all in this year. They are breaking their own transfer rules to load up. As an alum I'm not thrilled with it and I do believe it can backfire but what are you gonna do

How can you not be thrilled with them trying to do whatever is possible to put up a state title?? And compete on the national level. 

Just now, NJFOOTBALL1984 said:

Kids still need to take a test, no?

Yes but I'm talking about accepting upperclassmen transfers. DBP & BC have shied away from this transfer stuff because it was so unsettling. Clearly with Snead & Devera and I heard maybe John High from DBP and whoever else comes in they are clearly back in the transfer game

Just now, Mickeybern said:

Yes but I'm talking about accepting upperclassmen transfers. DBP & BC have shied away from this transfer stuff because it was so unsettling. Clearly with Snead & Devera and I heard maybe John High from DBP and whoever else comes in they are clearly back in the transfer game

Is it surprising? Who wouldn't want to play for Nunz, GT, and Fred? And education is pretty much the same everywhere.

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

How can you not be thrilled with them trying to do whatever is possible to put up a state title?? And compete on the national level. 

look and I know it is great to watch your team compete at the highest level but I do think there is fallout from all this transferring back & forth. I'm not a purist I'm pragmatic and understand that if they don't take these players our closest competitors will. But I do believe there is a long term cost to the program. It doesn't foster a team mentality. Just my opinion

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

Which they should be. Does it stink to be there and have some kid transfer in that takes your spot. Without a doubt but that to me also inspires competition. You should be on the practice field every day like someone is gonna take your spot

look and I know it is great to watch your team compete at the highest level but I do think there is fallout from all this transferring back & forth. I'm not a purist I'm pragmatic and understand that if they don't take these players our closest competitors will. But I do believe there is a long term cost to the program. It doesn't foster a team mentality. Just my opinion

Long term cost in what aspect? I can understand the team mentality aspect but i found an article online that basically said the whole team thing is dead. Now its about you as an individual. With the hudl 247 websites and such its all about promoting you as a player. Does that mentality stink and differ from years past yes it does but that is where we are headed

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Which they should be. Does it stink to be there and have some kid transfer in that takes your spot. Without a doubt but that to me also inspires competition. You should be on the practice field every day like someone is gonna take your spot

fair enough but I think that approach should be left for college and the pros not high school. To a 16 year old I think that if you work hard and have been patient you shouldn't have your high school coach replacing you from outside

fair enough but I think that approach should be left for college and the pros not high school. To a 16 year old I think that if you work hard and have been patient you shouldn't have your high school coach replacing you from outside

Wouldnt you rather learn that the world is a cruel and competitive place when you are younger or when you are older and be then used to getting everything that you wanted. Id rather work hard and know as hard as i try i may never play but im gonna keep competing and maybe one day my chance will come. its like the real world. you compete everyday for a job. you may never get it but maybe one day you get the job you want

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Long term cost in what aspect? I can understand the team mentality aspect but i found an article online that basically said the whole team thing is dead. Now its about you as an individual. With the hudl 247 websites and such its all about promoting you as a player. Does that mentality stink and differ from years past yes it does but that is where we are headed

yeah look i agree. I get it. I understand the whole reason why they are doing it. I just think going back to having hired guns transferring in and out is disruptive to the overall environment of the team and the school. But I guess i'm old fashioned 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I see your point, but all privates are pretty much about student-athletes. And yes, I know it sucks for the kid that has been busting his ass for 3 years just to have another kid come in and take his spot.

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Wouldnt you rather learn that the world is a cruel and competitive place when you are younger or when you are older and be then used to getting everything that you wanted. Id rather work hard and know as hard as i try i may never play but im gonna keep competing and maybe one day my chance will come. its like the real world. you compete everyday for a job. you may never get it but maybe one day you get the job you want

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Private schools are running a business. Who is going to be the more inclined alum to donate time,money and to look to the send their kid to the school? The kid who transferred in his senior year to win a football championship or the kid who has been there 4 years and has fond memories of his experience. 

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Private schools are running a business. Who is going to be the more inclined alum to donate time,money and to look to the send their kid to the school? The kid who transferred in his senior year to win a football championship or the kid who has been there 4 years and has fond memories of his experience. 

I can see where you are going with this and you want me to say the 4 year student athlete who has fond memories of being there. But maybe that 1 year when the kid went there was enough of a fond memory in order to get the college scholarship or visit places that he was never gonna see at his local public school. Or maybe transferring to the privates for that one year he became friends with someone that later in life looked out for them and set them up with a nice job. So really i know the privates are running a business and its all about bringing in the money in order to fund the school in general. But like i said that one year at the school yes the reason he is there is to help win the state title but maybe he got a lot more out of it then just that