NJ's fav sportswriter on Toal move to BC

golfaddict1

5 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Pretty cool looking at the pictures and reading the blurbs.  He looked so young at his press conference when he first got hired at DBP.  Lol.  

99 his first year. He went 0-2 against BC his first year. Than probably went 20-3 after ..... 

11 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

He starts and ends his career at the same school. But does it really help BC? Ive said it that Nunzio needed Toal. So now that he is at BC does the philosophy of the team change?

I think it does to a degree..with both Toal & Stengel on board I believe Nunzio will be less inclined to gamble..they will preach more discipline in the play calling. I don't believe they signed on to the wild west philosophy. Lets face it, they were brought in to teach and mentor the kids, with discipline being a large part of the job. That won't work if the coaching staff doesn't reciprocate.

Just now, Mickeybern said:

I think it does to a degree..with both Toal & Stengel on board I believe Nunzio will be less inclined to gamble..they will preach more discipline in the play calling. I don't believe they signed on to the wild west philosophy. Lets face it, they were brought in to teach and mentor the kids, with discipline being a large part of the job. That won't work if the coaching staff doesn't reciprocate.

Thats what im hoping. Been saying for years Nunzio needed a guy like toal to rope him in and stop with the 4th and 25 and lets go for it mentality. I would like to see the big uglies up front get more physical like toal did over at DBP and pound the ball. I know the game today is air it out but with Langan back there with Johnson and McKenzie as long as Mckenzie doesnt get hurt they can do somethings with running the ball and killing clock which would be especially helpful in the MD game. Maybe now with toal there Nunzio can focus on developing Langan a bit more with his arm since Nunzio is usually pretty good with developing Qbs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Thats what im hoping. Been saying for years Nunzio needed a guy like toal to rope him in and stop with the 4th and 25 and lets go for it mentality. I would like to see the big uglies up front get more physical like toal did over at DBP and pound the ball. I know the game today is air it out but with Langan back there with Johnson and McKenzie as long as Mckenzie doesnt get hurt they can do somethings with running the ball and killing clock which would be especially helpful in the MD game. Maybe now with toal there Nunzio can focus on developing Langan a bit more with his arm since Nunzio is usually pretty good with developing Qbs

yeah I don't think he would have gone out and hired his mentor and predecessor to help him if he wanted to stay with business as usual. It really would make zero sense. Nunzio has a lot of pressure on him to win.  He's looking for the advice as much as anything else.

3 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

yeah I don't think he would have gone out and hired his mentor and predecessor to help him if he wanted to stay with business as usual. It really would make zero sense. Nunzio has a lot of pressure on him to win.  He's looking for the advice as much as anything else.

Exactly. I have to feel like the pressure is mounting in Oradell. No state titles since 2004. PC in that time has come from the bottom and teams beating them up to winning multiple state titles. I spoke to a parent or two about the pressure a couple of years ago and one guy basically stated that he personally didnt care about ever winning a state title as long as the education at the schools stays at the level that its at. 

9 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Exactly. I have to feel like the pressure is mounting in Oradell. No state titles since 2004. PC in that time has come from the bottom and teams beating them up to winning multiple state titles. I spoke to a parent or two about the pressure a couple of years ago and one guy basically stated that he personally didnt care about ever winning a state title as long as the education at the schools stays at the level that its at. 

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

He's the minority. HSs like IH, NH, Po, NVOT, NVD, etc are actually superior academically. 

That's a tough one to claim GSB..All those schools are very good and imo comparable. Depends on what kind  of environment you are looking for for your kid..But from an academic standpoint they all offer a superior education than most

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Yes. Academics over athletics w them. Limited to no college exposure athletically for most. 

So again why send your kids to the big privates and pay the money if your gonna go to NVD or PO or IH etc etc if all you care about is academics. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

So again why send your kids to the big privates and pay the money if your gonna go to NVD or PO or IH etc etc if all you care about is academics. 

There you get into why, in my opinion the privates have spent so much time and money on their athletic programs. First, it was the decline of the religious orders (the catholics slave labor force in the classrooms) that led to the tremendous increase in tuitions. When I graduated BC in '89 the tuition was $2400. Second, NJ property taxes are in the top 3 in the country. Third, the Bergen county publics have a large wealthy tax base that allows them to compete academically. Put that all together and the 3 main reasons would be a) you don't have a care about money, b) you believe in a religious education and the extra discipline that the catholic schools can I still do require or c) better athletics.  

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

There you get into why, in my opinion the privates have spent so much time and money on their athletic programs. First, it was the decline of the religious orders (the catholics slave labor force in the classrooms) that led to the tremendous increase in tuitions. When I graduated BC in '89 the tuition was $2400. Second, NJ property taxes are in the top 3 in the country. Third, the Bergen county publics have a large wealthy tax base that allows them to compete academically. Put that all together and the 3 main reasons would be a) you don't have a care about money, b) you believe in a religious education and the extra discipline that the catholic schools can I still do require or c) better athletics.  

Makes sense.. Those really would be the 3 main reasons you would send your kids. And i guess if you dont care about the athletics then the other 2 still apply. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Makes sense.. Those really would be the 3 main reasons you would send your kids. And i guess if you dont care about the athletics then the other 2 still apply. 

The class demographics in the catholic schools have changed. It used to be a healthy mix but mostly drawn from the middle class. No way my plumber father could afford to send his 3 kids to BC and Holy Angels today. They have gravitated to the wealthier people and have had to give substantial aid to middle and lower income kids

Just now, Mickeybern said:

The class demographics in the catholic schools have changed. It used to be a healthy mix but mostly drawn from the middle class. No was my plumber father could afford to send his 3 kids to BC and Holy Angels today. They have gravitated to the wealthier people and have had to give substantial aid to middle and lower income kids

Gotcha. Yea the tuition at BC and such probably compares to the tuition of BCC which is just incredible. There are more and more catholic schools closing so it will be interesting to see which ones are left at the end of the day

Glad this Toal/ Stengel thing is done. As far as them adding control and patience to Nunzio's game plans etc, we must remember that his main influence is his dad, Mike. Through the years "AIR Campanile" has been the offense that has always drawn the most attention in North Jersey. From the Pee Wee Raiders of Fair Lawn, the Campaniles" have always been the offensive high scoring team. The philosophy has always been whoever scores the most will win. I really don't see these "legends" taming the young coach in year 1. It will be a process over the next several years. Acceptance of the Marine discipline might be a tough pill for these athletes.

• Like 1