Welcome to high school NIL

Ararar

Pretty sure he has been making money. Now instead of it going to his parents pockets it's going to his. I think financial and life skills classes should be required courses for high school kids. Lebron son worth about 10million right now. People that complain about this forget that this is the outcome of a capitalist society. The ghsa has already ruled on it here though. If you are a player on a ghsa member team you can't make any money.

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

It's a slippery slope. From a legal point of view, I would think there is nothing that should prevent high school athletes from NIL money. I would expect class action litigation otherwise in the same manner we saw for college athletes.

He is going to one of the basketball academies. They don't follow any of the traditional high school rules.  They aren't really even high schools. So he should not need any class action or litigation.

He is going to Lake Norman Christian in North Carolina but will be playing hoops for Vertical Academy. So that is the get around.

The next step AAU steps in. Kids will go to a High School but instead of playing for the school play for a AAU team and get paid. Look for AAU teams to get real involved in pulling kids from their high school team during basketball season now.

Football would be next. Even take that Bishop Sycamore team we have been talking about. What is to stop any of their players from getting a deal?  Nothing, they don't answer to any association and they don't have to be a amateur anymore for a football scholarship

IMG still has to follow the Florida association rules but they could easily succeed from them and get their players paid and in turn those players can pay tuition to them

12 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

It's a slippery slope. From a legal point of view, I would think there is nothing that should prevent high school athletes from NIL money. I would expect class action litigation otherwise in the same manner we saw for college athletes.

It’s NIL spreads full force to HS then 5️ kids would be crazy not to go to school with proper infrastructure set up to help them way through those waters…