1619-CRT

Wildcat Will

The main focus of CriticalRace.org is Critical Race Theory (CRT) and its applications in higher education, as this is where the ideology was first developed and where many individuals are trained. While CRT has been around for a few decades, it really has gained prominence since the rise of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, serving as an intellectual underpinning to grant the movement a perception of legitimacy as a civil rights movement. The 1619 Project attempts to bring all these forces together to reimagine and revise the historical narrative of America. The central premise is that America was not founded in 1776, or in the early colonies, or when the Constitution was ratified. According to this new interpretation, the functional founding of America occurred when the first enslaved Africans arrived on the North American continent. Further, the authors claim, the colonists fought the Revolutionary War primarily to protect the slave trade. First published in August 2019 by New York Times Magazine, the 1619 Project “aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of Black Americans at the very center of the United States’ national narrative.” Activists have proposed the 1619 Project as history curriculum in elementary, secondary, and higher education.

In response, a growing number of historians, scholars, and critics have written about some of the logical fallacies, false equivalencies, and historical errors in the 1619 Project.

Here we include some reading material, criticisms, and other resources to understand the impact of The 1619 Project in American society and in particular, education:

Legal Insurrection Foundation

“Rescuing History and Education From The 1619 Project” | (Archive link)

“Rescuing History and Education From The 1619 Project” (Highlights) | (Archive link)

There is the education sector. The economic sector and the law aspect. Much is not known to those that have no to little knowledge of them given it does not affect their lives. 

I don't understand why some things not associated with a certain section of society, can't be a real thing. Hell. For years I had no idea about Rugby.

This fails to define CRT also. 

It claims that the 1619 Project "tries to bring all these forces together." What forces?

Moreover, the fact that a "growing number of historians, scholars, and critics have written about some of the logical fallacies, false equivalences, and historical errors of the 1619 Project" doesn't bode well for the movement.

17 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

This fails to define CRT also. 

It claims that the 1619 Project "tries to bring all these forces together." What forces?

Moreover, the fact that a "growing number of historians, scholars, and critics have written about some of the logical fallacies, false equivalences, and historical errors of the 1619 Project" doesn't bode well for the movement.

The forces of history. From a different perspective with the effects of said history. Don't all opposition speak up? No different now. You have people claiming it will teach the kids to hate. That it will divide the country. That it will make the little white kids feel guilty.

Think, better yet, ask yourself, why not tell the truth?

52 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

Think, better yet, ask yourself, why not tell the truth?

The only question is whether CRT and the 1619 Project tell the truth.

"Logical fallacies, false equivalences, and historical errors," not hurt feelings, are the real issues.

Moreover, many critical race theorists advocate relativistic epistemologies that aren't particularly interested in the truth or evidence, which may help explain why the editor of the NYT refused to issue corrections in light of the many errors historians on both the right and left have identified. The authors of the 1619 Project are't interested in objective truth but in telling a "counter-narrative."

It's an embarrassment as a work of scholarship. 

Just now, Belly Bob said:

The only question is whether CRT and the 1619 Project tell the truth.

"Logical fallacies, false equivalences, and historical errors," not hurt feelings, are real issues.

Moreover, many critical race theorists advocate relativistic epistemologies that aren't particularly interested in the truth or evidence, which may help explain why the editor of the NYT refused to issue corrections in night of the many historical errors historians on both the right and left have identified. The authors of the 1619 Project are't interested in objective truth but in telling a "counter-narrative."

It's an embarrassment as a work of scholarship. 

Do you dispute history? Did you question what they taught you like you are questioning the validity of this and have no working knowledge of it admittedly? 

You knew nothing as fact until you learned that was the case or truth, right?

1 hour ago, Wildcat Will said:

You knew nothing as fact until you learned that was the case or truth, right?

I think we found your problem... you know...

why you can't think for yourself 🤣

Most "facts" are innate...

not learned thru the same educational indoctrination,

that you condemn with the same breath 💩

PS: good job exercising those Faceplants 👍

Kasumi faceplant gif (video in description) by OpticPause on DeviantArt 

2 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

Do you dispute history?

Yes, I dispute many of the central claims made by the 1619 Project, as do many professional historians.

It shouldn't be surprising that the Project comes up short as a work of historical scholarship. It was authored by a woman who has had no professional training in history -- she has an MA in journalism -- and who has no publication record in history outside the Project.

But like I suggested above, I'm not sure it was ever intended to be a serious historical work, which may be why it includes poems and works which are explicitly fiction.

The very title of "1619" is itself a historical error. Slaves were in FL more than 50 years earlier. If it's supposed to be history, it misses the mark. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Yes, I dispute many of the central claims made by the 1619 Project, as do many professional historians.

It shouldn't be surprising that the Project comes up short as a work of historical scholarship. It was authored by a woman who has had no professional training in history -- she has an MA in journalism -- and who has no publication record in history outside the Project.

But like I suggested above, I'm not sure it was ever intended to be a serious historical work, which may be why it includes poems and works which are explicitly fiction.

The very title of "1619" is itself a historical error. Slaves were in FL more than 50 years earlier. If it's supposed to be history, it misses the mark. 

Name them. It does not matter who brings the message, people like you will remain ignorant as you refuse to accept anything as truth.

It is a work of Historical fact that the mainstream is not ready for as It is still a product of the European influence.

Black people existed everywhere white explores went when they ventured out from their home.

12 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

Name them. It does not matter who brings the message, people like you will remain ignorant as you refuse to accept anything as truth.

It is a work of Historical fact that the mainstream is not ready for as It is still a product of the European influence.

Black people existed everywhere white explores went when they ventured out from their home.

Can you imagine being from a country who’s leaders sold thier own people as slaves and exported them like they were some type of livestock, u can be mad and obsessed at the white man Colonizers but at end of day it twas your own people that sold y’all out

now That’s what the history teachers should be teaching 

14 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

Name them.

Leslie Harris, who is a black woman and a professor of history at Northwestern, was consulted before the publication of the Project. She warned that one its central claims, that the motive for the Revolutionary War was to protect the institution of slavery, is simply false. But she was ignored.

Danielle Allen, who is a black woman and professor of political science at Harvard, has demanded that the claim be retracted because it is simply false. She has stated that the goal of historical education should be "honesty without cynicism and appreciation without adulation."

Etc. etc.

But people you like you...

👇

14 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

It does not matter who brings the message, people like you will remain ignorant as you refuse to accept anything as truth.

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Leslie Harris, who is a black woman and a professor of history at Northwestern, was consulted before the publication of the Project. She warned that one its central claims, that the motive for the Revolutionary War was to protect the institution of slavery, is simply false. But she was ignored.

Danielle Allen, who is a black woman and professor of political science at Harvard, has demanded that the claim be retracted because it is simply false. She has stated that the goal of historical education should be "honesty without cynicism and appreciation without adulation."

Etc. etc.

Curious if you have read or heard anything from Alan Watts...

...and if you appreciated any of it or not 🤷‍♂️

I mention him as he seemed a much more mainstream and established philosopher,

and wonder if his work should be cut from modern society....

PS: Aside from the big three censorship and platforms removal, Paypal just cut his work from their monetary platform...

BTW: Paypal mafia has picked up...

...where the online platforms can't reach.

4 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Etc. etc.

But people you like you...

👇

Your education did not teach you well. We all know that slavery was the main reason for the war. If you think othetwise, you are mistaken.

A single thought does not change history. Many thoughts don't change history. Het thought does not change history. 

History should be taught as it happened, with appreciation for truth and for what it was, good or bad.

29 minutes ago, Wildcat Will said:

Your education did not teach you well. We all know that slavery was the main reason for the war. If you think othetwise, you are mistaken.

Actually "we all know" you are a racist idiot. 👍\

PS: "Most modern historians generally agree that slavery continued in Britain into the late 18th century, finally disappearing around 1800. Slavery elsewhere in the British Empire was not affected—indeed it grew rapidly especially in the Caribbean colonies."

Fighting some war, CAN'T protect any "slavery"....  when it was perfectly fine with the Brits.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/12/british-history-slavery-buried-scale-revealed

BTW: matt hughes | MMA Humor

1 hour ago, Troll said:

Curious if you have read or heard anything from Alan Watts...

...and if you appreciated any of it or not 🤷‍♂️

I mention him as he seemed a much more mainstream and established philosopher,

and wonder if his work should be cut from modern society....

I've heard of his stuff. He's not regarded as a serious thinking in philosophy departments. I think he was influential in his time because he was popularizing Eastern thought, which was all the rage in the 60s. But he was never influential among professional philosophers.

I wouldn't consider his work dangerous, much less as worthy of censorship. I think that, like many popularizers, he has been accused by Buddhist scholars of misrepresenting Buddhist thought. 

Are you into his stuff?

19 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

The Project itself has begun to abandon its central claims, including its claim that the motive for the Revolution was to protect the institution of slavery. 

https://quillette.com/2020/09/19/down-the-1619-projects-memory-hole/

Are you sure you want to die on this hill when the people who have led you up it are quietly retreating?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I've heard of his stuff. He's not regarded as a serious thinking in philosophy departments. I think he was influential in his time because he was popularizing Eastern thought, which was all the rage in the 60s. But he was never influential among professional philosophers.

I wouldn't consider his work dangerous, much less as worthy of censorship. I think that, like many popularizers, he has been accused by Buddhist scholars of misrepresenting Buddhist thought. 

Are you into his stuff?

Seems  I have the same thoughts on the guy, as you ...😄

From the small sampling I have seen,

he has some good nuggets,

but does tend to stray from reality..... in a 60's kind of way 🤣

The reason I mentioned him WAS for the censorship....Paypal is seriously stepping up their censorship and removal game.

The guy is dead, his works have been out for decades, and do not seem to be the type of stuff that is "censorship worthy",

but perhaps I am missing something 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Good for Google. 

If you're going to read a book (I know that sounds crazy these days), you could do a lot better than Alan Watts.

reading is too slow 🤣 ...

(or maybe just more dynamic to hear an author in his own words 🤷‍♂️)

He's contemporary enough I've seen a few short video clips

Was  not wowed enough to go buy his books.

You are probably on point with the religious objections, at least that seems to be Googles thought as well...just never dug deep enough to find anything objectionable. 

The odd thing that I thought, was how common these conversations are becoming, of "who should be censored or not" ...

🤔

13 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Can you imagine being from a country who’s leaders sold thier own people as slaves and exported them like they were some type of livestock, u can be mad and obsessed at the white man Colonizers but at end of day it twas your own people that sold y’all out

now That’s what the history teachers should be teaching 

As easy as I can imagine a people that were expelled becausr of their low moral value and criminal behavior that also leaves a trail of death and destruction everywhere they go. Claiming land that was not theirs, as you walk on it daily. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wildcat Will said:

As easy as I can imagine a people that were expelled becausr of their low moral value and criminal behavior that also leaves a trail of death and destruction everywhere they go. Claiming land that was not theirs, as you walk on it daily. 

The only one claiming territory that is NOT THEIRS....

Is you claiming oppression from centuries ago.

That is not the territory

that you live in today.

🤓

PS: but your white man bad diatribe is some racist territory... where your heart and home resides.

BTW: remember this?image.png.77c0eb9e430e41271c01ab3a6da9af56.png

It applies to yourself, so practice what you try to preach ... 👍

....and maybe realize that you don't even have your poorly educated "history", even remotely correct.....you know...

since you think the US had to fight some "war to keep slavery" 🤪, when they could have just stayed a colony, and made mint like them Carribean colonies...DUH.

1 hour ago, Troll said:

The only one claiming land that is NOT THEIRS....

Is you claiming oppression from centuries ago.

That is not the territory

that you live in today.

🤓

PS: but your white man bad diatribe is some racist territory... where your heart and home resides.

BTW: remember this?image.png.77c0eb9e430e41271c01ab3a6da9af56.png

It applies to yourself, so practice what you try to preach ... 👍

....and maybe realize that you don't even have your poorly educated "history", even remotely correct.....you know...

since you think the US had to fight some "war to keep slavery" 🤪, when they could have just stayed a colony, and made mint like them Carribean colonies...DUH.

Living in denial is o k if you chose to do so. Your ignorance is no hinderance to me.

• Like 1