HS Football Numbers Dwindling

paladin4ever

46 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

or how about society just accept that football is a and always will be a rough sport and always will be. Just like life its rough. Football has life lessons and a lot of good things involved in it. Should parents stop letting their kids drive their car because they can get hurt. Or how about we dont let kids experience anything and as long as they never move from the couch they will live in this bubble forever and be protected. But then we hear from people that kids arent social anymore and they dont move and we have an obesity problem.

Football is not the only sport available to children. We have options. When I was growing up I lived in the projects. Football was a right of passage. Everyone played it all the time. We were running full speed and tackling each other on grass patches full of rocks, broken bottles, and empty crack valves. Many of us didn't have fathers in the house so we looked up to older KIDS. Where I lived those older kids were John Harvey (played for Tampa Bay Bucs, had an injury which lead to him finishing behind emit smith in rushing his Sr year of college) Seth Joyner(Philadelphia Eagles all pro), Jeff Nichols(AVG 10yrds  a carry while playing for Eddie Robinson at Grambling/ was out performing tyrone Wheatley at giants camp before getting arrested for selling drugs), and Derrick Owens aka Derrick Lassick (former Alabama running back and Dallas cowboy). The game of football was responsible for every stitch, cut, or broken bone most kids in our neighborhood had. So when we were finally able to wear pads, and the numbers of the older kids it was better than christmas. We were kamikazes, we were quick and agile because we couldn't afford to let the older boys get hands on us and sling us into the fence or concrete. We were alphas in our age group because we were happy to finally play with kids our size or our age. That was then. My kids are not growing up like I did. They have way more options than I had and their dad is far more knowledgeable than his parent(s) were. No one was gonna drive me to the next county with a great baseball program, lax program, golf course. All we had was football, and basketball, followed by the streets. I worked to put myself in a situation where my kids can explore other sports. Football is a tough sport, but many of those tough guys wouldn't dare play hockey because they value their teeth and jaw. To each is own but not playing football because you have a 90% chance of CTE doesn't speak against toughness. It speaks to how you assess high risk behavior vs low risk behavior. I can walk out of my office and have a boulder fall on my head (it happens), or I can drive my car in a hurricane. One of those scenarios gives you a greater chance at death. does it make me soft for choosing to stay inside during a hurricane? However I'd look dumb as shit staying in my office for fear of a crane collapsing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJR 04 said:

Football is the only sport available to children. We have options. When I was growing up I lived in the projects. Football was a right of passage. Everyone played it all the time. We were running full speed and tackling each other on grass patches full of rocks, broken bottles, and empty crack valves. Many of us didn't have fathers in the house so we looked up to older KIDS. Where I lived those older kids were John Harvey (played for Tampa Bay Bucs, had an injury which lead to him finishing behind emit smith in rushing his Sr year of college) Set Joyner(Philadelphia Eagles all pro), Jeff Nichols(AVG 10yrs a carry while playing for Eddie Robinson at Grambling/ was out performing tyrone Wheatley at giants camp before getting arrested for selling drugs), and Derrick Owens aka Derrick Lassick (former Alabama running back and Dallas cowboy). The game of football was responsible for ever stitch, cut, or broken bone most kids in our neighborhood had. So when we were finally able to wear pads, and the numbers of the older kids it was better than christmas. We were kamikazes, we were quick and agile because we couldn't afford to let the older boys get hands on us and sling us into the fence or concrete. We were alphas in our age group because we were happy to finally play with kids our size or our age. That was then. My kids are not growing up like I did. They have way more options than I had and their dad is far more knowledgeable than his parent(s) were. No one was gonna drive me to the next county with a great baseball program, lax program, golf course. All we had was football, and basketball, followed by the streets. I worked to put myself in a situation where my kids can explore other sports. Football is a tough sport, but many of those tough guys wouldn't dare play hockey because they value their teeth and jaw. To each is own but not playing football because you have a 90% chance of CTE doesn't speak against toughness. It speaks to how you assess high risk behaving vs low risk behavior. I can walk out of my office and have a boulder fall on my head (it happens), or I drive my car in a hurricane. One of those scenarios gives you a greater chance at death does it make me soft for choosing to stay inside during a hurricane? However I'd look dumb as shit staying in my office for fear of a crane collapsing. 

Seth Joyner is from my area. His banner hangs in Spring Valley gym. My point tho was simply kids shouldnt shy away and parents shouldnt take away the opportunity to play a certain sport whatever that sport is and whatever risk it has. My brother was an ice hockey goalie and now plays adult ice hockey. hes been playing hockey since hes 8. Has had at least 1 concussion. Has my parents ever stopped him from playing the game he loves absolutely not and my parents never would. We as kids were able to make whatever choices we wanted when it came to what sport we wanted to play. I played multiple sports as a kid. Parents are taking away options and thats never good. My dad grew up like you was always in the schoolyard playing stickball and such in the neighborhood in Brooklyn. His dad died and his mother had her own issues. You learn more for yourself by doing things then by having someone always making decisions for you. I didnt say it speaks against toughness. I guess it speaks to the fact that people react to every single little thing and that always isnt the best ways of doing things. Let kids make decisions. Let them make mistakes. They will be better off later in life looking back on those decisions and owning whatever mistakes they have made. Its a part of growing up. Maybe a kid starts to play whatever sport and gets hurt as a kid and makes the decision for him/herself that the sport isnt for them. At least then there is no if or buts. They can always say they tried it and it simply wasnt for them

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Seth Joyner is from my area. His banner hangs in Spring Valley gym. My point tho was simply kids shouldnt shy away and parents shouldnt take away the opportunity to play a certain sport whatever that sport is and whatever risk it has. My brother was an ice hockey goalie and now plays adult ice hockey. hes been playing hockey since hes 8. Has had at least 1 concussion. Has my parents ever stopped him from playing the game he loves absolutely not and my parents never would. We as kids were able to make whatever choices we wanted when it came to what sport we wanted to play. I played multiple sports as a kid. Parents are taking away options and thats never good. My dad grew up like you was always in the schoolyard playing stickball and such in the neighborhood in Brooklyn. His dad died and his mother had her own issues. You learn more for yourself by doing things then by having someone always making decisions for you. I didnt say it speaks against toughness. I guess it speaks to the fact that people react to every single little thing and that always isnt the best ways of doing things. Let kids make decisions. Let them make mistakes. They will be better off later in life looking back on those decisions and owning whatever mistakes they have made. Its a part of growing up. Maybe a kid starts to play whatever sport and gets hurt as a kid and makes the decision for him/herself that the sport isnt for them. At least then there is no if or buts. They can always say they tried it and it simply wasnt for them

I can see where you're coming from on this. But the problem is we had to debate it when it was never a question before and that's what football is up against.

1 minute ago, SJR 04 said:

I can see where you're coming from on this. But the problem is we had to debate it when it was never a question before and that's what footballs up against.

Why does it have to be a debate?? Play everything. Soccer has more concussions then football and we dont debate putting kids out there on the soccer field. Or what about wrestling where you are flung on your head for a pin or have your body twisted several different ways. Kids love MMA today should we tell them not to learn how to do that were its an avenue for making millions of dollars. You can see the point im trying to make

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Why does it have to be a debate?? Play everything. Soccer has more concussions then football and we dont debate putting kids out there on the soccer field. Or what about wrestling where you are flung on your head for a pin or have your body twisted several different ways. Kids love MMA today should we tell them not to learn how to do that were its an avenue for making millions of dollars. You can see the point im trying to make

Absolutely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sportsnut said:

Consolidation may make the quality of football much higher. May be a good idea. 

been saying that forever. There are just too many schools in NJ. Every 3 miles theres another HS. IF you consolidate your numbers go up. You have more  numbers for Varisty JV teams. Deeper rosters. Instead of splitting talent btw lets say Wayne Hills and Wayne Valley put everyone on the same team. Does it suck getting rid of those rivalries yes it does but if it is able to make the next leap up in competition why not

2 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

I am trying to imagine what that is like. I can see it but I don't understand. From where I sit right now, I can be at 40 high schools within an hour. What is the problem? Are there not that many people. That is a matter to be considered. There are only about 11 million in Georgia with about 3.5 to 4 million in the metro. 

Too many small towns have their own high schools instead of regionalizing. My town of 9,000 has a high school with 500 students. Right next door in the adjacent town, they have a high school with 350 students. It's just stupid and a waste of resources.

7 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

I am trying to imagine what that is like. I can see it but I don't understand. From where I sit right now, I can be at 40 high schools within an hour. What is the problem? Are there not that many people. That is a matter to be considered. There are only about 11 million in Georgia with about 3.5 to 4 million in the metro. 

Bergen county for example is very crowded. Theres a million HS with teams...Pascack Valley Pascack Hills Englewood Tenalfy Teaneck Bergen Catholic DBP Mahwah Westwood hackensack fort lee park ridge etc ete etc. Bergen county alone has 900k people in it.  There are 49 HS is bergen county alone. You can pretty much get anywhere in Bergen county in about what 30 minutes....Like paladin said they need to go to more regional HS

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

I still don't get it. Lovejoy has a little over 6,000 people. Our high school has 2,044. Mundy's Mill is 5.2 miles away to the north. They have 1,900+. To the east of me is another county. Dutchtown High is in Henry county 4 miles away and they have 1,800+. To my south, Griffin and Spalding sit 3 1/2 miles from each other , are 5A schools and have at least 1,650-1,700.

So, no, I don't get it. Unless it is like I said, not that many people. 

Do you see the difference sports nut....you said your town has 6000 people and 2000 students...Paladin town has 9000 people 500 students. There is so much split in towns where kids go to different HS its insane

I think you are right. Gwinnett has more schools than any other county in Georgia. I think they have like 22-25 public high schools. they are close to 1 million in pop. That is where Grayson is located. 

so 22-25 HS for 1 million....Bergen county....49 HS for 900K

3 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

I still don't get it. Lovejoy has a little over 6,000 people. Our high school has 2,044. Mundy's Mill is 5.2 miles away to the north. They have 1,900+. To the east of me is another county. Dutchtown High is in Henry county 4 miles away and they have 1,800+. To my south, Griffin and Spalding sit 3 1/2 miles from each other , are 5A schools and have at least 1,650-1,700.

So, no, I don't get it. Unless it is like I said, not that many people. 

Could be that a lot of people in NJ do send their kids to private schools. To my understanding, that is not typical in GA.

3 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Where do all the kids go? 500 out of 9000.

that would be a better question for GSB or Paladin. I know town get split between HS.

I know for a fact for ramapo and indian hills Hs if you live within the district you chose what HS you wanna go to  so the athletes go to Ramapo while the academia kids go to Indian Hills

Also DBP BC PC IHA AHA etc take kids away from public schools

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

that would be a better question for GSB or Paladin. I know town get split between HS.

I know for a fact for ramapo and indian hills Hs if you live within the district you chose what HS you wanna go to  so the athletes go to Ramapo while the academia kids go to Indian Hills

Also DBP BC PC IHA AHA etc take kids away from public schools

Good point. SPP and SHP are two catholic schools with 1,500 each. And there are not co-ed. All boys.

Mundy's Mill is outside Lovejoy city limits but they are basically in Lovejoy. Their school came about from overcrowding at LHS. Literally started in trailers in the parking lot. So we have 2 schools serving that 6,000.

my school district has 2 HS for over 8000 kids

1 minute ago, Sportsnut said:

Man it sounds like that is some messed up stuff. Very few boys schools around the state. Several Catholic schools but public's do have the upper hand on all sports. 

im telling you i can take you down one road in NJ and ill point out all the towns that have a HS. and your head would spin with we went a couple of miles from the last school

They are not all top programs. They have a couple that play at the single A level but have the enrollment of a 7A school. As a matter of fact, all the schools in Gwinnett are 6A and 7A, our largest.

gotcha. my hs is the same here in NY. Highest classification. 

Blame the concussion nonsense. Better coaching and better equipment can help prevent a lot of concussions, but they can never be eliminated because it's a violent game and some people will just be prone to getting them. 

I think CTE can be cured eventually. Look at Jim McMahon. He goes through a procedure at Stanford that drains the excess fluid in his brain that can't get out due to narrowing of the spine from injuries, etc., and he is better than he was 20 years ago. Not saying that this is a cure all, but it helped him and there is hope. We just have to recognize the problem. It will take a while to solve, but I think they'll get it done. 

For every concussion study that comes out there will be less and less kids playing. Especially those that realize they will never play past the high school level. What is the point of taking the risk when you can play another sport like lacrosse which is spreading across the country. I hate that it's happening but I can't say I blame them.

3 hours ago, BigBobT said:

For every concussion study that comes out there will be less and less kids playing. Especially those that realize they will never play past the high school level. What is the point of taking the risk when you can play another sport like lacrosse which is spreading across the country. I hate that it's happening but I can't say I blame them.

They are slowly ruining lacrosse as well