HS Football Numbers Dwindling

paladin4ever

2 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

Case in point, this is the 3rd NJ high school to face a cancellation of their season due to low numbers.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/1926704682741953689/short-on-teammates-pleas-denied-football-players-may-be-unable-to-save-senior-season/#incart_river_home

yea i was reading this article before. its sad and the board did nothing to help them. Get rid of these stupid rules and if the numbers arent there let them combine. When it comes to hockey you can have 3 schools combine to make 1 team and not be in the same district but this school wants to combine with their in district school and its no good. the board of education look like idiots in my opinion

Just now, HSFBfan said:

yea i was reading this article before. its sad and the board did nothing to help them. Get rid of these stupid rules and if the numbers arent there let them combine. When it comes to hockey you can have 3 schools combine to make 1 team and not be in the same district but this school wants to combine with their in district school and its no good. the board of education look like idiots in my opinion

It's not the BOE, but the WJFL officials and membership. The league voted 76-16 to not allow them to combine with South.

3 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

It's not the BOE, but the WJFL officials and membership. The league voted 76-16 to not allow them to combine with South.

thats what i meant 

they stated that they are worrying about them creating a super team. WWP is not asking to combine with name whatever good public school team out there. they are asking to combine with the other school in the district. It would be like Pascack Hills and Pascack Valley combining. I dont understand the big deal. This is one of the disadvantages to having multiple HS in your district. My district had 2 HS. Would have been more competitive if you have 1 HS and everyone goes for 1 team

Football will become a wounded animal much like boxing within the next15yrs.  I love the game and have either played or coached it my whole life.  The very 1st time i saw my nephew in the incubator i knew he'd be a football player and that is what he grew to be, however 20yrs later as a father to three boys i find myself accepting the fact that my boys will most likely not play football. Football teaches amazing life skills and lessons, but my job as a father is to protect my boys from harm. I could not live with myself knowing what i now know about concussions. As a lifer, if im considering this i know many others who are not as passionate about football as i am are definitely not letting their kids play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

Football will become a wounded animal much like boxing within the next15yrs.  I love the game and have either played or coached it my whole life.  The very 1st time i saw my nephew in the incubator i knew he'd be a football player and that is what he grew to be, however 20yrs later as a father to three boys i find myself accepting the fact that my boys will most likely not play football. Football teaches amazing life skills and lessons, but my job as a father is to protect my boys from harm. I could not live with myself knowing what i now know about concussions. As a lifer, if im considering this i know many others who are not as passionate about football as i am are definitely not letting their kids play.

Sounds like most people want their kids to be pansies.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

A delicate little pretty soft flower.............like some people.

So how does not playing football make you a delicate, little, pretty, soft, flower? Research has shown that each collision is like a car accident. Does that mean you're a pansie if you dont agree to play chicken with someone? I think that makes you pretty smart. The same person who chooses not to take part in high risk SPORTS could be the same dude that competes in strong man competitions, or triathlons. I never played football to prove i was tough. I played the game because it was fun. Many people sniffed coke and or smoked crack in the 80's because it was fun. Many people later foubd out that the fun was not worth the long term affect it would have on our lives. So again, i dont think playing football or not playing do to information about a 90% chance of CTE is an indictment on your toughness. Id be quicker to say its more of an indictment on what you value opposed to your toughness. You wanna impress me with toughness go into the octagon. 

Itll be interesting to see if there will be any sports in school when schools start to move away from brick and mortar buildings and just hand a laptop out to all kids. They can stay home log in and go to class through the webcam. There was a school in colorado a few years back that started doing this. 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

There ya go. Honestly it would be the best. Taxes could come tumbling down. Dont need any up keep on the buildings. 

I think there will always be buildings because it is a key component to children developing socially. Learning other cultures and how to exist in a multicultural America.  I mean with king orange attempting to "Make America Great Again" maybe America will not be as multicultural as once predicted to be in the future but you get the point. My kids were reading, writing, and spelling on third grade level before going to kindergarten because of kumon and home schooling. I remember the lady at kumon telling us that our second oldest would only need to attend school to develop socially. I think the social aspect of school is being overlooked. Many kids don't know how to hold a quality conversation because they spend their days sending 5 second text. Technology is destroying the social aspects of our lives. I watch couples glued to their phones while on a date. It's a slippery slope

Just now, SJR 04 said:

I think there will always be buildings because it is a key component to children developing socially. Learning other cultures and how to exist in a multicultural America.  I mean with king orange attempting to "Make America Great Again" maybe America will not be as multicultural as once predicted to be in the future but you get the point. My kids were reading, writing, and spelling on third grade level before going to kindergarten because of kumon and home schooling. I remember the lady at kumon telling us that our second oldest would only need to attend school to develop socially. I think the social aspect of school is being overlooked. Many kids don't know how to hold a quality conversation because they spend their days sending 5 second text. Technology is destroying the social aspects of our lives. I watch couples glued to their phones while on a date. It's a slippery slope

Social aspect is basically dead like you said. Kids walk in the hallways head down in their phones. While sitting in class they are on the phone. Why battle it. The phone and other media have basically won that battle. Might as well embrace it and just go full technology and just have kids sit home and learn through a webcam. You wont have to discipline them in schools or whatever they do now a days considering you cant even talk to a kid anymore without mommy or daddy breathing down your neck. I love what Trump is doing so im not even gonna start there. Ill leave it as the school part of it

20 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

I think there will always be buildings because it is a key component to children developing socially. Learning other cultures and how to exist in a multicultural America.  I mean with king orange attempting to "Make America Great Again" maybe America will not be as multicultural as once predicted to be in the future but you get the point. My kids were reading, writing, and spelling on third grade level before going to kindergarten because of kumon and home schooling. I remember the lady at kumon telling us that our second oldest would only need to attend school to develop socially. I think the social aspect of school is being overlooked. Many kids don't know how to hold a quality conversation because they spend their days sending 5 second text. Technology is destroying the social aspects of our lives. I watch couples glued to their phones while on a date. It's a slippery slope

Excellent point.  I agree on all of this and have seen whole families out to dinner and each one is on their phones and nobody talking.   While I agree that social development is vital to a healthy individual, there is no shortage of screw ups who have been to school and did not develop any meaningful social skills.  I think more attention is needed on social skills and tools that can help every kid with every possible learning style.  Maybe even treat the teachers and compensate them for the important job of teaching the future.  Anyway, good post. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SJR 04 said:

Great post. I agree 100%. These kids are just getting bigger and stronger, the collisions are getting more violent. At this point I really don't think there is anything can be done other then doing away with turf. Even that isn't enough anymore.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Great post. I agree 100%. These kids are just getting bigger and stronger, the collisions are getting more violent. At this point I really don't think there is anything can be done other then doing away with turf. Even that isn't enough anymore.  

or how about society just accept that football is a and always will be a rough sport and always will be. Just like life its rough. Football has life lessons and a lot of good things involved in it. Should parents stop letting their kids drive their car because they can get hurt. Or how about we dont let kids experience anything and as long as they never move from the couch they will live in this bubble forever and be protected. But then we hear from people that kids arent social anymore and they dont move and we have an obesity problem.

8 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Limiting practice impact can't hurt.  Still have to teach technique, but limit the collisions in practice.  Practice... we talking about practice? :) 

• Like 1