Less than 8 Days Away

ATLien12x

Georgia High School football kicks off next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with the annual Corky Kell Classic held in Atlanta, Georgia. While the Thursday matchups leave a lot to be desired with a national audience, at least full contact regulated football is back in business. 

Turner Field, the Braves former stadium for my entire lifetime, has been transitioned into Georgia State's new NCAA football stadium. They'll play host to the Corky Kell this year.   

Some of the key matchups: 

Colquitt (7A) vs Norcross (7A)

Buford (5A) vs Hillgrove (7A) 

McEachern (7A) vs Mill Creek (7A) 

Tucker (6A) vs Kell (6A)

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

2 hours ago, ATLien12x said:

Georgia High School football kicks off next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with the annual Corky Kell Classic held in Atlanta, Georgia. While the Thursday matchups leave a lot to be desired with a national audience, at least full contact regulated football is back in business. 

Turner Field, the Braves former stadium for my entire lifetime, has been transitioned into Georgia State's new NCAA football stadium. They'll play host to the Corky Kell this year.   

Some of the key matchups: 

Colquitt (7A) vs Norcross (7A)

Buford (5A) vs Hillgrove (7A) 

McEachern (7A) vs Mill Creek (7A) 

Tucker (6A) vs Kell (6A)

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

Not a bad high school stadium.  Maybe not as big or nice as some of them in Texas...but it ain't bad for October football.

Rufus>>

14 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

So you don't know Atlanta_Fulton County Stadium?

I was 4 when Turner Field opened. Yes I've been to Fulton county stadium and any time you go to a Braves game you still see the Fulton County blue wall , I'm just saying I grew up on Turner Field as did most people my age. 

51 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

I was 4 when Turner Field opened. Yes I've been to Fulton county stadium and any time you go to a Braves game you still see the Fulton County blue wall , I'm just saying I grew up on Turner Field as did most people my age. 

The company I worked for...built the Olympic Stadium...and converted it to Turner Field.  My son and I went to the opening ceremonies and several of the events.  And YES....we were there for the bombing in Centennial Park.

Rufus>>

Just now, Sportsnut said:

You have got to be kidding me. You are a fool for thinking that these Georgia schools can't play with these so called power houses. That is why I say you don't know Georgia. On any given day, any team in Georgia can beat any team in the land. 

Youth has not served you well. 

I think some of those teams can play with or beat a lot of the teams that get talked about more on here. I had trouble like you are having now in the beginning of my stint in the national discussion. 

The problem is these teams aren't stepping out and playing OOS teams to give national fans a weight with which to judge them by. Some get in the mention at times through daisy chaining with other teams that do play some OOS powers. 

He's not really downing the Lee and Houston Counties of the world by saying they aren't nationally relevant. They choose to not be nationally relevant on their own by not stepping up to the plate so-to-speak is all. I really don't think it's meant to be a slight coming from Atlien... Now if it was LOS saying that, then it could be easier to consider it as a diss, although I would only think he was being honest, as honest as his own belief system is anyway as well. 

Colquitt has been playing oos games for as long as I was old enough to know something about Packer Football. Now, not sure what type of power houses those schools were back in those days, but teams from Carrabelle, Florida and Aiken, South Carolina played home/home contracts with the Packers and the underclass teams often made those trips and played those schools underclassmen also. I mention those specifically because I remember them right off the top of my head from like 25 or 30 years ago. 

I guess if all it took to be nationally relevant was to play OOS, Colquitt should have been relevant for at least that long. xD Maybe Atlien has a good point in his last post as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Now, not sure what type of power houses those schools were back in those days, but teams from Carrabelle, Florida and Aiken, South Carolina played home/home contracts with the Packers and the underclass teams often made those trips and played those schools underclassmen also.

Wait, y'all took underclassmen?  I thought teams were only allowed to travel with the seniors and maybe a few juniors.  At least that's what some here will lead you to believe!  xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2