Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gunned down while giving speech.

SeaShells21

https://abcn.ws/3bYLuay

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was shot and killed during a campaign speech in western Japan on Friday, hospital officials said.

Abe, 67, was just minutes into his speech on a street in Nara when he was shot from behind. He was airlifted to Nara Medical University Hospital for emergency treatment, but his heart had already stopped and he had no vital signs. He was later pronounced dead, hospital officials said at a press conference Friday.

Abe sustained two gunshot wounds to the right side of his neck. Doctors tried to stop the bleeding but the bullet had traveled to Abe's heart and they could not resuscitate him. Abe's wife was by his side at the hospital when he died, according to hospital officials.

17B2971D-A8B5-4084-A342-DF658E437246.jpeg.f8a2c5396b0c276b9eca9070da3a57ca.jpeg

prefectural police arrested the alleged gunman -- identified as 41-year-old Tetsuya Yamagami -- and recovered a weapon -- described as a handmade shotgun -- at the scene of the attack on Friday, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK, a partner of ABC News.

3451DF40-4221-4249-B636-ACAECDB6DA9F.jpeg.9347d0f1d6a1f7baad1b6a262e3fd5ff.jpeg

Citing Japanese defense sources, NHK reported that Yamagami served in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force for three years in the 2000s.

The attack and a motive remains under investigation, but police said the suspect told investigators that he was dissatisfied with the former prime minister and intended to kill him, according to NHK.

Abe was in Nara stumping for his party's candidates in the upcoming elections for the upper house of Japan's bicameral legislature when he was gunned down. Despite no longer being Japan's prime minister, Abe wheeled great influence on national security and economic policies and is the longest-serving premier in the country's history. 

6524723F-31A1-4716-886E-3FD052D409AD.jpeg.caccae7390827167ca4e19530f1060e0.jpeg

U.S. President Joe Biden released a statement Friday, saying he was "stunned, outraged, and deeply saddened by the news that my friend Abe Shinzo, former Prime Minister of Japan, was shot and killed while campaigning."

This is a tragedy for Japan and for all who knew him," Biden said. "I had the privilege to work closely with Prime Minister Abe. As Vice President, I visited him in Tokyo and welcomed him to Washington. He was a champion of the Alliance between our nations and the friendship between our people. The longest serving Japanese Prime Minister, his vision of a free and open Indo-Pacific will endure."

"Above all, he cared deeply about the Japanese people and dedicated his life to their service," Biden added. "Even at the moment he was attacked, he was engaged in the work of democracy. While there are many details that we do not yet know, we know that violent attacks are never acceptable and that gun violence always leaves a deep scar on the communities that are affected by it. The United States stands with Japan in this moment of grief. I send my deepest condolences to his family."

B63C8EAA-BCCB-43AA-9D6B-A96EF0376CF6.jpeg.c9e716ff4835af27d3e5fefcf7ae7d07.jpeg

265B6297-E31B-4EE1-A9A2-2C5F25D5D085.jpeg.a73e28c4d2c9331d1870c797d6269ae0.jpeg

The deadly shooting shocked many in Japan, which is one of the world's safest countries and has some of the strictest gun control laws.

In an emotional speech from Tokyo on Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said he was "lost for words" upon learning of Abe's death. He said Abe had led the country "with great leadership" was his "personal friend," someone he has "spent a lot of time with."

"I have great respect for the legacy Shinzo Abe left behind and I pay the deepest condolences to him," Kishida said.

The prime minister called Abe's killing a "heinous act."

"It is barbaric and malicious and it cannot be tolerated," he added. "We will do everything we can, and I would like to use the most extreme words available to condemn this act."

Former President Donald Trump offered his prayers to the former Prime Minister and his family following the tragic news,

"Absolutely devastating news that former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan, a truly great man and leader, has been shot, and is in very serious condition. He was a true friend of mine and, much more importantly, America. This is a tremendous blow to the wonderful people of Japan, who loved and admired him so much. We are all praying for Shinzo and his beautiful family!" Trump wrote in a statement.

AB390619-6B8B-4AA8-80A2-534337612778.jpeg.3d3aced5baea5f724d237bfdfacffc86.jpeg

3A9408F2-1E50-4411-BA26-CFF00CC8E749.thumb.jpeg.c3e5508f8999e122a99d95f248d48e69.jpeg

05610541-BD85-45D4-9D23-6DEE0D0944FB.thumb.jpeg.29f9e02172f1b13b81bfe80e3dc2336d.jpeg

Former President Barack Obama, in a statement, said, "I am shocked and saddened by the assassination of my friend and longtime partner Shinzo Abe in Japan. Former Prime Minister Abe was devoted to both the country he served and the extraordinary alliance between the United States and Japan. I will always remember the work we did to strengthen our alliance, the moving experience of traveling to Hiroshima and Pearl Harbor together, and the grace he and his wife Akie Abe showed to me and Michelle. Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to the people of Japan who are very much in our thoughts at this painful moment."

2893E1EA-7D9D-4273-91A4-B9017B4EF39B.thumb.jpeg.b69f71ab92f16ee5e27ea1bf7e7e4128.jpeg

CE25A42B-C33D-436D-A161-6A0D2518FADC.thumb.jpeg.4d9bf7db8bb6cb70761e5ee1f59d6e87.jpeg

09C5AAE6-C7DC-4475-9446-EF4D77F70F2D.jpeg.5c601d533a7810d879e58c6fbae8db74.jpeg

Former President George W. Bush offered his condolences to the former Prime Minister and his family.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the senseless assassination of former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. I had the privilege of getting to know him during his first time as Prime Minister in 2006 and found him to be a decent and caring man. Shinzo Abe was a patriot of his country who wanted to continue serving it. Laura and I send our heartfelt condolences to Akie Abe, their family, and the people of Japan during this difficult time."

28C31956-1EEB-463C-8C61-34F8B387D527.thumb.jpeg.af7c8601ea948a77b063b1a3b29ccd63.jpeg

3D5C0C16-D46A-4AA0-8501-B282BFBB6A01.png.eb24dfd8176918e6136beb17df55bda2.png

98B31EB0-E225-4693-AF0E-BC675AACB610.jpeg.d858332c8f25e5594762ee6f2e5eba76.jpeg

E8D9103F-00BE-4167-B547-86354E5DFA55.thumb.jpeg.eb05fc49d5a934097d33ae9642912a61.jpeg

World Leaders Mourn The Loss Of Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe:

Jacinda Ardern

Writing on Twitter, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern remembered Ade showing her kindness when she came to power in 2017:

So deeply shocked to hear about the past PM of Japan-Shinzo Abe. He was one of the first leaders I met when I became PM. He was deeply committed to his role but also generous & kind. My thoughts are with his wife and the people of Japan. Events like this shake us all to the core.

Boris Johnson

Outgoing British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the news was "incredibly sad":

Incredibly sad news about Shinzo Abe. His global leadership through unchartered times will be remembered by many. My thoughts are with his family, friends and the Japanese people. The UK stands with you at this dark and sad time.

Emmanuel Macron

President Emmanuel Macron sent condolences on behalf of the French people:

On behalf of the French people, I send my condolences to the Japanese authorities and people after the assassination of Shinzo Abe. Japan is losing a great prime minister who dedicated his life to his country and worked to bring balance to the world.

António Guterres

António Guterres, the secretary general of the United Nations, said the killing was "horrific":

I’m deeply saddened by the horrific killing of Shinzo Abe, former Prime Minister of Japan.I had the privilege of knowing him for years & will always remember his collegiality & commitment to multilateralism.My condolences to his family, and the people & Government of Japan.

IMG_4171.webp

Narendra Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was "saddened beyond words" at the death of one of his dearest friends. He also declared a national day of mourning:

I am shocked and saddened beyond words at the tragic demise of one of my dearest friends, Shinzo Abe. He was a towering global statesman, an outstanding leader, and a remarkable administrator. He dedicated his life to make Japan and the world a better place. My association with Mr. Abe goes back many years. I had got to know him during my tenure as Gujarat CM and our friendship continued after I became PM. His sharp insights on economy and global affairs always made a deep impression on me. During my recent visit to Japan, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Abe again and discuss many issues. He was witty and insightful as always. Little did I know that this would be our last meeting. My heartfelt condolences to his family and the Japanese people. Mr. Abe made an immense contribution to elevating India-Japan relations to the level of a Special Strategic and Global Partnership. Today, whole India mourns with Japan and we stand in solidarity with our Japanese brothers and sisters in this difficult moment. As a mark of our deepest respect for former Prime Minister Abe Shinzo, a one day national mourning shall be observed on 9 July 2022.

Justin Trudeau

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote on Twitter that his country had lost "a great friend":

The assassination of @AbeShinzo is incredibly shocking – and I’m deeply saddened. The world has lost a great man of vision, and Canada has lost a close friend. My thoughts are with his wife, Akie, and the people of Japan as they mourn this loss. You’ll be missed, my friend.

Pedro Sánchez

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez sent his best wishes to Abe’s family and “our forthright condemnation of this cowardly attack. “Spain stands together with the people of Japan in these difficult times,” he tweeted.

Annalena Baerbock

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock wrote on Twitter that she was “shocked by the news that Shinzo Abe was shot. My thoughts are with him and his family.”

Baerbock is due to visit Japan at the weekend to attend a memorial ceremony for the U.S. nuclear attack on Nagasaki and meet with her Japanese counterpart in Tokyo. 

Jacinda Ardern

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was visiting her Australian counterpart Anthony Albaneseon Friday in Sydney when they learned the news.

Ardern said she was “deeply shocked.”

“He was one of the first leaders I formally met when I became Prime Minister. He was deeply committed to his role, and also generous and kind. I recall him asking after the recent loss of our pet when I met him, a small gesture but one that speaks to the kind of person he is,” Ardern said. “My thoughts are with his wife and the people of Japan. Events like this shake us all to the core.”

Albanese echoed the sentiments in a tweet: “Shocking news from Japan that former PM Shinzo Abe has been shot. Our thoughts are with his family and the people of Japan at this time.”

Narendra Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted, “Deeply distressed by the attack on my dear friend Abe Shinzo. Our thoughts and prayers are with him, his family, and the people of Japan.”

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian

We are shocked by the shooting of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. During his tenure, former Prime Minister Abe contributed to the improvement and development of Sino-Japanese relations. We express our condolences on his passing away and extend our condolences to his family.

Lee Hsien Loong 

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong slammed it as a “senseless act of violence.”

“Mr. Abe is a good friend of Singapore. I had just hosted him to lunch in May, on my visit to Tokyo. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Abe and his family,” Lee said on Facebook.

Enrique Manalo

Philippine Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo said he learned the news with great shock and dismay. “I extend my deep sympathy and pray for his early recovery,” he said.

Retno Marsudi 

Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi, who is in Bali as president of the G-20, conveyed the G-20 foreign ministers’ “deepest sympathies and our prayers for the speedy recovery” of Abe.

Saifuddin Abdullah

Malaysian Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said he was saddened and shocked. “The government and people of Malaysia are praying for his speedy recovery and for his family to be given strength to endure this tragedy,” he tweeted.

Queen Elizabeth II

“My family and I were deeply saddened to hear the news of the sudden and tragic death of former Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe. I have fond memories of meeting Mr Abe and his wife during their visit to the United Kingdom in 2016. His love for Japan, and his desire to forge ever-closer bonds with the United Kingdom, were clear. I wish to convey my deepest sympathy and condolences to his family and to the people of Japan at this difficult time.”

Volodymyr Zelenskyy

“Horrible news of a brutal assassination of former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe. I am extending my deepest condolences to his family and the people of Japan at this difficult time. This heinous act of violence has no excuse.”

Jeppe Kofod

“My condolences to his family and the Japanese people. I know Japan as a peaceful, democratic country. This is also an attack on our fundamental values of free speech and democracy!” tweeted Jeppe Kofod, Denmark’s ministry of foreign affairs.

Vladimir Putin

Putin stated that a "criminal has claimed the life of a prominent statesman" who headed the Japanese government for a long time. Shinzo Abe did a lot to enhance good-neighbourly ties between Japan and Russia.

Putin said that he had regular contact with former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe in which he demonstrated his "personal and professional qualities." He emphasized that the "bright memory" of Shinzo Abe will continue to remain in the hearts of the people who knew the former Japanese Prime Minister. He wished that his family members and people get the strength and courage to face the "irretrievable loss

6CEC66F9-B2E8-4F2E-B3AA-A49661DA96EA.jpeg

104F8135-8F28-46F1-81E4-EBC96D3BFF30.jpeg

270A7CC9-5105-4E29-8921-3064775CDBF9.jpeg

F2140FDA-82B8-47D4-8CE2-A49BF1A02393.jpeg

E901CB97-8771-42A4-8955-752DB453A25D.jpeg

4AEC85E9-80A6-46CC-97A5-5F1D7A5144D9.jpeg

946EAAEC-8F54-4685-AA78-E481BF5F332B.webp

24 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

So what makes Japan so great again, how do you stop this shooting, tougher gun laws?

An unfortunate and sad isolated incident in a country where gun issues are rare. 

Vs. 

A Fucking Murder Spree 2/3 times a week at a public event or shooting up a school on a weekly basis.... 

Sadly what you just said and your response is about what I and many others expect in this country.  

But just because I expect it doesnt make it any less sad... 

Always the Whataboutism... 

Anything to escape away from whats plaguing our country... 

Japan has a different set of problems... dont think anybody ever said it was perfect. 

But again this incident doesnt put their extremely low level  gun problem on par with our absolutely Unfathomable high level gun problem... 

You can run 

You can hide 

You can offer prayers all day because I pray too... 

But ignoring it and misdirection aint gonna fix our problem... 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

An unfortunate and sad isolated incident in a country where gun issues are rare. 

Vs. 

A Fucking Murder Spree 2/3 times a week at a public event or shooting up a school on a weekly basis.... 

Sadly what you just said and your response is about what I and many others expect in this country.  

But just because I expect it doesnt make it any less sad... 

Always the Whataboutism... 

Anything to escape away from whats plaguing our country... 

Japan has a different set of problems... dont think anybody ever said it was perfect. 

But again this incident doesnt put their extremely low level  gun problem on par with our absolutely Unfathomable high level gun problem... 

You can run 

You can hide 

You can offer prayers all day because I pray too... 

But ignoring it and misdirection aint gonna fix our problem... 

You do realize Japan leads world in serial stabbings??

what’s difference between murdering people with a knife 🔪 and murdering someone with a bullet?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

You do realize Japan leads world in serial stabbings??

what’s difference between murdering people with a knife 🔪 and murdering someone with a bullet?

And cue the classic 

"Do we ban cars?","Do we ban knives" etc etc etc.... 

Anything to do nothing and continue with the willful ignorance... though at this point its just sheer dumbfuckery

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FreeBird said:

I’m saying y’all seem to be experts on this shot so I’m asking how do you stop people from making homemade ghost guns and killing people 

I didn’t come on here this morning to argue about guns our their laws. I’m frankly tired of that.

This is a tragedy that happened this morning and no amount of arguing is going to do anything to fix the crazed path our world is going down.

11 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

And cue the classic 

"Do we ban cars?","Do we ban knives" etc etc etc.... 

Anything to do nothing and continue with the willful ignorance... though at this point its just sheer dumbfuckery

Cameron says it best

People get shot everyday B it’ll be aight

Just now, SeaShells21 said:

I didn’t come on here this morning to argue about guns our their laws. I’m frankly tired of that.

This is a tragedy that happened this morning and no amount of arguing is going to do anything to fix the crazed path our world is going down.

I send my thoughts and prayers, hopes that fixes everything 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

https://abcn.ws/3bYLuay

FullSizeRender.MOVUnavailable

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was shot and killed during a campaign speech in western Japan on Friday, hospital officials said.

Abe, 67, was just minutes into his speech on a street in Nara when he was shot from behind. He was airlifted to Nara Medical University Hospital for emergency treatment, but his heart had already stopped and he had no vital signs. He was later pronounced dead, hospital officials said at a press conference Friday.

Abe sustained two gunshot wounds to the right side of his neck. Doctors tried to stop the bleeding but the bullet had traveled to Abe's heart and they could not resuscitate him. Abe's wife was by his side at the hospital when he died, according to hospital officials.

17B2971D-A8B5-4084-A342-DF658E437246.jpeg.f8a2c5396b0c276b9eca9070da3a57ca.jpeg

prefectural police arrested the alleged gunman -- identified as 41-year-old Tetsuya Yamagami -- and recovered a weapon -- described as a handmade shotgun -- at the scene of the attack on Friday, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK, a partner of ABC News.

3451DF40-4221-4249-B636-ACAECDB6DA9F.jpeg.9347d0f1d6a1f7baad1b6a262e3fd5ff.jpeg

Citing Japanese defense sources, NHK reported that Yamagami served in the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force for three years in the 2000s.

The attack and a motive remains under investigation, but police said the suspect told investigators that he was dissatisfied with the former prime minister and intended to kill him, according to NHK.

Abe was in Nara stumping for his party's candidates in the upcoming elections for the upper house of Japan's bicameral legislature when he was gunned down. Despite no longer being Japan's prime minister, Abe wheeled great influence on national security and economic policies and is the longest-serving premier in the country's history. 

6524723F-31A1-4716-886E-3FD052D409AD.jpeg.caccae7390827167ca4e19530f1060e0.jpeg

U.S. President Joe Biden released a statement Friday, saying he was "stunned, outraged, and deeply saddened by the news that my friend Abe Shinzo, former Prime Minister of Japan, was shot and killed while campaigning."

This is a tragedy for Japan and for all who knew him," Biden said. "I had the privilege to work closely with Prime Minister Abe. As Vice President, I visited him in Tokyo and welcomed him to Washington. He was a champion of the Alliance between our nations and the friendship between our people. The longest serving Japanese Prime Minister, his vision of a free and open Indo-Pacific will endure."

"Above all, he cared deeply about the Japanese people and dedicated his life to their service," Biden added. "Even at the moment he was attacked, he was engaged in the work of democracy. While there are many details that we do not yet know, we know that violent attacks are never acceptable and that gun violence always leaves a deep scar on the communities that are affected by it. The United States stands with Japan in this moment of grief. I send my deepest condolences to his family."

B63C8EAA-BCCB-43AA-9D6B-A96EF0376CF6.jpeg.c9e716ff4835af27d3e5fefcf7ae7d07.jpeg

265B6297-E31B-4EE1-A9A2-2C5F25D5D085.jpeg.a73e28c4d2c9331d1870c797d6269ae0.jpeg

The deadly shooting shocked many in Japan, which is one of the world's safest countries and has some of the strictest gun control laws.

In an emotional speech from Tokyo on Friday, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said he was "lost for words" upon learning of Abe's death. He said Abe had led the country "with great leadership" was his "personal friend," someone he has "spent a lot of time with."

"I have great respect for the legacy Shinzo Abe left behind and I pay the deepest condolences to him," Kishida said.

The prime minister called Abe's killing a "heinous act."

"It is barbaric and malicious and it cannot be tolerated," he added. "We will do everything we can, and I would like to use the most extreme words available to condemn this act."

Former President Donald Trump offered his prayers to the former Prime Minister and his family following the tragic news,

"Absolutely devastating news that former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan, a truly great man and leader, has been shot, and is in very serious condition. He was a true friend of mine and, much more importantly, America. This is a tremendous blow to the wonderful people of Japan, who loved and admired him so much. We are all praying for Shinzo and his beautiful family!" Trump wrote in a statement.

AB390619-6B8B-4AA8-80A2-534337612778.jpeg.3d3aced5baea5f724d237bfdfacffc86.jpeg

3A9408F2-1E50-4411-BA26-CFF00CC8E749.thumb.jpeg.c3e5508f8999e122a99d95f248d48e69.jpeg

05610541-BD85-45D4-9D23-6DEE0D0944FB.thumb.jpeg.29f9e02172f1b13b81bfe80e3dc2336d.jpeg

Former President Barack Obama, in a statement, said, "I am shocked and saddened by the assassination of my friend and longtime partner Shinzo Abe in Japan. Former Prime Minister Abe was devoted to both the country he served and the extraordinary alliance between the United States and Japan. I will always remember the work we did to strengthen our alliance, the moving experience of traveling to Hiroshima and Pearl Harbor together, and the grace he and his wife Akie Abe showed to me and Michelle. Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to the people of Japan who are very much in our thoughts at this painful moment."

2893E1EA-7D9D-4273-91A4-B9017B4EF39B.thumb.jpeg.b69f71ab92f16ee5e27ea1bf7e7e4128.jpeg

CE25A42B-C33D-436D-A161-6A0D2518FADC.thumb.jpeg.4d9bf7db8bb6cb70761e5ee1f59d6e87.jpeg

09C5AAE6-C7DC-4475-9446-EF4D77F70F2D.jpeg.5c601d533a7810d879e58c6fbae8db74.jpeg

Former President George W. Bush offered his condolences to the former Prime Minister and his family.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the senseless assassination of former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. I had the privilege of getting to know him during his first time as Prime Minister in 2006 and found him to be a decent and caring man. Shinzo Abe was a patriot of his country who wanted to continue serving it. Laura and I send our heartfelt condolences to Akie Abe, their family, and the people of Japan during this difficult time."

28C31956-1EEB-463C-8C61-34F8B387D527.thumb.jpeg.af7c8601ea948a77b063b1a3b29ccd63.jpeg

3D5C0C16-D46A-4AA0-8501-B282BFBB6A01.png.eb24dfd8176918e6136beb17df55bda2.png

98B31EB0-E225-4693-AF0E-BC675AACB610.jpeg.d858332c8f25e5594762ee6f2e5eba76.jpeg

E8D9103F-00BE-4167-B547-86354E5DFA55.thumb.jpeg.eb05fc49d5a934097d33ae9642912a61.jpeg

World Leaders Mourn The Loss Of Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe:

Jacinda Ardern

Writing on Twitter, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern remembered Ade showing her kindness when she came to power in 2017:

So deeply shocked to hear about the past PM of Japan-Shinzo Abe. He was one of the first leaders I met when I became PM. He was deeply committed to his role but also generous & kind. My thoughts are with his wife and the people of Japan. Events like this shake us all to the core.

Boris Johnson

Outgoing British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the news was "incredibly sad":

Incredibly sad news about Shinzo Abe. His global leadership through unchartered times will be remembered by many. My thoughts are with his family, friends and the Japanese people. The UK stands with you at this dark and sad time.

Emmanuel Macron

President Emmanuel Macron sent condolences on behalf of the French people:

On behalf of the French people, I send my condolences to the Japanese authorities and people after the assassination of Shinzo Abe. Japan is losing a great prime minister who dedicated his life to his country and worked to bring balance to the world.

António Guterres

António Guterres, the secretary general of the United Nations, said the killing was "horrific":

I’m deeply saddened by the horrific killing of Shinzo Abe, former Prime Minister of Japan.I had the privilege of knowing him for years & will always remember his collegiality & commitment to multilateralism.My condolences to his family, and the people & Government of Japan.

IMG_4171.webp

Narendra Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he was "saddened beyond words" at the death of one of his dearest friends. He also declared a national day of mourning:

I am shocked and saddened beyond words at the tragic demise of one of my dearest friends, Shinzo Abe. He was a towering global statesman, an outstanding leader, and a remarkable administrator. He dedicated his life to make Japan and the world a better place. My association with Mr. Abe goes back many years. I had got to know him during my tenure as Gujarat CM and our friendship continued after I became PM. His sharp insights on economy and global affairs always made a deep impression on me. During my recent visit to Japan, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Abe again and discuss many issues. He was witty and insightful as always. Little did I know that this would be our last meeting. My heartfelt condolences to his family and the Japanese people. Mr. Abe made an immense contribution to elevating India-Japan relations to the level of a Special Strategic and Global Partnership. Today, whole India mourns with Japan and we stand in solidarity with our Japanese brothers and sisters in this difficult moment. As a mark of our deepest respect for former Prime Minister Abe Shinzo, a one day national mourning shall be observed on 9 July 2022.

Justin Trudeau

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote on Twitter that his country had lost "a great friend":

The assassination of @AbeShinzo is incredibly shocking – and I’m deeply saddened. The world has lost a great man of vision, and Canada has lost a close friend. My thoughts are with his wife, Akie, and the people of Japan as they mourn this loss. You’ll be missed, my friend.

Pedro Sánchez

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez sent his best wishes to Abe’s family and “our forthright condemnation of this cowardly attack. “Spain stands together with the people of Japan in these difficult times,” he tweeted.

Annalena Baerbock

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock wrote on Twitter that she was “shocked by the news that Shinzo Abe was shot. My thoughts are with him and his family.”

Baerbock is due to visit Japan at the weekend to attend a memorial ceremony for the U.S. nuclear attack on Nagasaki and meet with her Japanese counterpart in Tokyo. 

Jacinda Ardern

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was visiting her Australian counterpart Anthony Albaneseon Friday in Sydney when they learned the news.

Ardern said she was “deeply shocked.”

“He was one of the first leaders I formally met when I became Prime Minister. He was deeply committed to his role, and also generous and kind. I recall him asking after the recent loss of our pet when I met him, a small gesture but one that speaks to the kind of person he is,” Ardern said. “My thoughts are with his wife and the people of Japan. Events like this shake us all to the core.”

Albanese echoed the sentiments in a tweet: “Shocking news from Japan that former PM Shinzo Abe has been shot. Our thoughts are with his family and the people of Japan at this time.”

Narendra Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted, “Deeply distressed by the attack on my dear friend Abe Shinzo. Our thoughts and prayers are with him, his family, and the people of Japan.”

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian

We are shocked by the shooting of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. During his tenure, former Prime Minister Abe contributed to the improvement and development of Sino-Japanese relations. We express our condolences on his passing away and extend our condolences to his family.

Lee Hsien Loong 

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong slammed it as a “senseless act of violence.”

“Mr. Abe is a good friend of Singapore. I had just hosted him to lunch in May, on my visit to Tokyo. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Abe and his family,” Lee said on Facebook.

Enrique Manalo

Philippine Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo said he learned the news with great shock and dismay. “I extend my deep sympathy and pray for his early recovery,” he said.

Retno Marsudi 

Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi, who is in Bali as president of the G-20, conveyed the G-20 foreign ministers’ “deepest sympathies and our prayers for the speedy recovery” of Abe.

Saifuddin Abdullah

Malaysian Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said he was saddened and shocked. “The government and people of Malaysia are praying for his speedy recovery and for his family to be given strength to endure this tragedy,” he tweeted.

Queen Elizabeth II

“My family and I were deeply saddened to hear the news of the sudden and tragic death of former Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe. I have fond memories of meeting Mr Abe and his wife during their visit to the United Kingdom in 2016. His love for Japan, and his desire to forge ever-closer bonds with the United Kingdom, were clear. I wish to convey my deepest sympathy and condolences to his family and to the people of Japan at this difficult time.”

Volodymyr Zelenskyy

“Horrible news of a brutal assassination of former Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe. I am extending my deepest condolences to his family and the people of Japan at this difficult time. This heinous act of violence has no excuse.”

Jeppe Kofod

“My condolences to his family and the Japanese people. I know Japan as a peaceful, democratic country. This is also an attack on our fundamental values of free speech and democracy!” tweeted Jeppe Kofod, Denmark’s ministry of foreign affairs.

Vladimir Putin

Putin stated that a "criminal has claimed the life of a prominent statesman" who headed the Japanese government for a long time. Shinzo Abe did a lot to enhance good-neighbourly ties between Japan and Russia.

Putin said that he had regular contact with former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe in which he demonstrated his "personal and professional qualities." He emphasized that the "bright memory" of Shinzo Abe will continue to remain in the hearts of the people who knew the former Japanese Prime Minister. He wished that his family members and people get the strength and courage to face the "irretrievable loss

6CEC66F9-B2E8-4F2E-B3AA-A49661DA96EA.jpeg

104F8135-8F28-46F1-81E4-EBC96D3BFF30.jpeg

270A7CC9-5105-4E29-8921-3064775CDBF9.jpeg

F2140FDA-82B8-47D4-8CE2-A49BF1A02393.jpeg

E901CB97-8771-42A4-8955-752DB453A25D.jpeg

4AEC85E9-80A6-46CC-97A5-5F1D7A5144D9.jpeg

946EAAEC-8F54-4685-AA78-E481BF5F332B.webp 56.46 kB · 0 downloads

Allow me to add my condolences to the people of Japan, and to the family of the honorable Shinzo Abe. I always liked him, and it's hard for me to imagine why anyone would want to harm him. I pray that those who love him will somehow find peace, and have their sorrow fade away as quickly as possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ngl... 

Id rather fight Putin than China... 

Call me what you want but thats some smoke i dont want...

Like the Great Wall, China’s patience and memory is formidably extensive.  They’re playing the long game and for now are content to observe.  The time isn’t right yet.  
But, when it is, it really won’t be much of a war.  Not many lives will be expended after the first couple of aircraft carriers head down to Davey’s Locker and the futility of resistance is acknowledged. 

40 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Like the Great Wall, China’s patience and memory is formidably extensive.  They’re playing the long game and for now are content to observe.  The time isn’t right yet.  
But, when it is, it really won’t be much of a war.  Not many lives will be expended after the first couple of aircraft carriers head down to Davey’s Locker and the futility of resistance is acknowledged. 

One of my uncles said something a while back.... 

I had asked him what country would America not want to war with... 

And his reply was and I qoute "as a veteran I'd fight  Russia  to my last breath  Fuck them... but China... China could beat us without a bullet if need be" 

And the scary part is I know what he means and he's not wrong... 

China contrils so much trade influence... 

I cant name one thing in my home thats not china made...  outside of the TV and the Playstation... both of those are Japanese.... 

But the Fridge is Chinese

The stove is made in China

Parts in my car are probably made in China  

My girlfriend is Chinese ... 

Shit man... 

If China pulls the plug with the USA... 

Y I K E S

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

One of my uncles said something a while back.... 

I had asked him what country would America not want to war with... 

And his reply was and I qoute "as a veteran I'd fight  Russia  to my last breath  Fuck them... but China... China could beat us without a bullet if need be" 

China has been continually investing in the infrastructure of companies all over the world and it’s very early in that process.  Those relationships will be enduring and collaborative.   It’s hard for people to visualize what the long term impact will be.  It’s a little unsettling that they own as much US land as they do as well. Unlike many other foreign investors they aren’t looking to turn it around to make a quick buck. 

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Ngl... 

Id rather fight Putin than China... 

Call me what you want but thats some smoke i dont want...

Fuck that I’ll fight a chinaman any day of the week, ever get in a fight with a Ivan or Vlad that works at a valet  company, motherfuckers huge

1 minute ago, FreeBird said:

Fuck that I’ll fight a chinaman any day of the week, ever get in a fight with a Ivan or Vlad that works at a valley company, motherfuckers huge

And that mentality right there is why Id fight Russia... 

Its easy to fight braun with braun... 

But like @On2whls said... China's in it for the long haul... eventually Russias gonna have another big power shift (As history has shown us) and Putin's time is running out real quick... I wouldnt be surprised if Putin's end is met from within...