Arizona News

Wooderson

2 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I'm glad to see a top Nebraska team actually travel and play someone. However, I'm afraid those Phoenix area schools are on another level compared to Millard South. Westside would've been a much better game. I hope they will be able to represent. 

I forgot that former Horizon/Desert Vista coach Ty Wisdom had moved back to Nebraska; he ended up at Millard South so that explains an otherwise random out of state matchup.

If Demond Williams wasn't graduating at Basha I'd call this a slam dunk for the Bears; regardless they should still be a heavy favorite but 2024 seems like the best time to get a crack at them (barring a transfer exodus they'll be a mother in '25 and '26). South's current sophomore class adds some intrigue to this.

13 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I forgot that former Horizon/Desert Vista coach Ty Wisdom had moved back to Nebraska; he ended up at Millard South so that explains an otherwise random out of state matchup.

If Demond Williams wasn't graduating at Basha I'd call this a slam dunk for the Bears; regardless they should still be a heavy favorite but 2024 seems like the best time to get a crack at them (barring a transfer exodus they'll be a mother in '25 and '26). South's current sophomore class adds some intrigue to this.

South is good for Nebraska, but Westside has been dominate the last few years here. Bellevue West usually has a decent team. West is located by a big Air Force base (Offutt). So, you never know who transfers in for that school. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Missed sharing this last weekend and am left pondering who asked for this:

Mountain Pointe, the artist formerly known as, vs IMG’s A or B squad?  

The only angle I can think of is IMG wanting to get closer to your young talented recruit.  😂   

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Mountain Pointe, the artist formerly known as, vs IMG’s A or B squad?  

The only angle I can think of is IMG wanting to get closer to your young talented recruit.  😂   

Mountain Pointe does have a lot of talent for a .500 program; just sent one two-way back to Texas this past season and has another kid coming up who's a four-star DB. Nevertheless peak-era Chandler got put over a barrel by IMG and MP ain't peak-era Chandler.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Ouch.  Any talent left there? 

Upcoming junior class has some skill/edge guys that pass the eye test and have a stray offer or two. Picked up the QB and WR from Chaparral that were featured in SI's expose on our prep scene couple years back, but in turn they've had a stud safety, third-string QB that played meaningful snaps last season, and an o-lineman transfer out (last one is important as they were thin in the trenches in 2023). I almost expect their second-string QB from this season to bolt if the Chaparral transfer lands the starting spot but that remains to be seen. I have to think between this and their principal's N-word email scandal that a lot of families are taking a wait-and-see approach between now and the summer.

With their enrollment they have razor-thin room for error. If they're able to get someone connected with Mohns that could convince some of the coaches that left the program they could circle the wagons a bit, otherwise they'll really need a home run to halt their descent to "formerly known as" status.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see all the shifting between ALA in Gilbert and QC which is a direct result from the fallout from the Gilbert Goonies 😂.

Detmer to ALA Gilbert N replacing Ricedorff and Edwards back to ALA QC. Shuffling the deck furniture on the Titanic for PR/ image purposes.😂

• Like 1

@Wooderson non football related subject re: Tempe

I saw this piece being discussed on cnbc this afternoon. 

Developers angled the roofs, so the walk towards transportation is more comfortable.  Summer heat will test this novelty game plan development.  

Probably best for singles, young couples w/out kids, dinks and retirees.  

Want to go into business together?  Let’s setup a refreshment stand located directly next to where the roof shade ends.  😂 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/a-new-rental-community-is-the-nation-s-first-designed-for-car-free-living-204237381887

4 hours ago, Cossacks said:

It will be interesting to see all the shifting between ALA in Gilbert and QC which is a direct result from the fallout from the Gilbert Goonies 😂.

Detmer to ALA Gilbert N replacing Ricedorff and Edwards back to ALA QC. Shuffling the deck furniture on the Titanic for PR/ image purposes.😂

Unfortunately I don't think the general public is tuned-in enough for this to have Titanic-esque consequences. Dare I say if the Open is still a thing in a decade half your field might be ALA schools. With the way they've expanded and our collective short memory why not?

Anyone who follows the prep scene at any depth KNOWS this is straight PR. But if Hamilton can survive a full-blown sex abuse scandal I'm skeptical that there will be any sort of organizational fallout.

29 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Unfortunately I don't think the general public is tuned-in enough for this to have Titanic-esque consequences. Dare I say if the Open is still a thing in a decade half your field might be ALA schools. With the way they've expanded and our collective short memory why not?

Anyone who follows the prep scene at any depth KNOWS this is straight PR. But if Hamilton can survive a full-blown sex abuse scandal I'm skeptical that there will be any sort of organizational fallout.

Two of my neighbors have pulled their kids out of ALA (elementary and JR. High age and not Gilbert) in the past month. Both said they believed there was some complicity and cover-up with ALA regarding the Preston Lord case, and said they won’t send their kids there again.

9 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Two of my neighbors have pulled their kids out of ALA (elementary and JR. High age and not Gilbert) in the past month. Both said they believed there was some complicity and cover-up with ALA regarding the Preston Lord case, and said they won’t send their kids there again.

You'll have those families. There were those families at the peak of the Hamilton saga that swore off the school. The challenge is there's a lot of families that are completely oblivious to how everything with the Goons ties in with the culture present at the schools and the greater community, and there's families that don't have high school kids who have a casual awareness of what's happening now but once their kids are old enough will assume that everything is sunshine and roses.

Maybe all it takes is lopping off a few heads to "fix" what's happening, but I'm cynical that my (our?) skepticism of the PR moves is going to permeate with the market in any lasting way. If there are more families out there like your neighbors I'll be happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

You'll have those families. There were those families at the peak of the Hamilton saga that swore off the school. The challenge is there's a lot of families that are completely oblivious to how everything with the Goons ties in with the culture present at the schools and the greater community, and there's families that don't have high school kids who have a casual awareness of what's happening now but once their kids are old enough will assume that everything is sunshine and roses.

Maybe all it takes is lopping off a few heads to "fix" what's happening, but I'm cynical that my (our?) skepticism of the PR moves is going to permeate with the market in any lasting way. If there are more families out there like your neighbors I'll be happy to be wrong.

Yeah, we shall see, but knowing what I know about the case, I think down the road some heads will roll and people will catch shrapnel. Won’t be surprised if a police chief or two loses their job (or retires early) and some school administrators and some church /cult members get caught up.

4 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

Unrelated question but how good will Liberty be next year? I know they graduated some key part to the state title team from last season 

Upcoming seniors seem to be more talented (i.e. getting the major offers the departing seniors didn't) and have gotten a couple key transfers (including heir apparent at QB). Early expert opinion is we're getting an all-Peoria rematch for the Open title. We'll see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Any time I see something hyped like this I assume it's Old Man Taylor finally retiring:

Alas, the actual news is that 5A runner-up Desert Edge is losing their top two quarterbacks to Clarke Central in Athens:

Perhaps a job change or transfer for a parent?  I checked the GA school and it’s not a football power.