Guess I should share this with the board...

Adam Kurkjian

Didn't know about it until this afternoon, but Springfield Central (Mass.) went down to scrimmage Paramus Catholic (N.J.) this past weekend. Almost a full game scrimmage. played game-like conditions, 1v1 for three quarters, JVs for the fourth.

After three, PC led, 14-6. It was 14-12 after the JVs played the fourth.

Not sure what to make of it other than that's a lot closer than what I would have expected, even in a scrimmage setting. The staffs hit it off pretty well and this will likely be an annual thing, although they want to try and hook up for a real home and home regular season series.

It's something to keep in mind going forward because Central is playing Bishop Sullivan on Sept. 9, the opener for up here. I'm going to try go see that one, but Springfield is about a two-hour drive from my house and I have to be at work by 5 p.m. that night. So we will see.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Didn't know about it until this afternoon, but Springfield Central (Mass.) went down to scrimmage Paramus Catholic (N.J.) this past weekend. Almost a full game scrimmage. played game-like conditions, 1v1 for three quarters, JVs for the fourth.

After three, PC led, 14-6. It was 14-12 after the JVs played the fourth.

Not sure what to make of it other than that's a lot closer than what I would have expected, even in a scrimmage setting. The staffs hit it off pretty well and this will likely be an annual thing, although they want to try and hook up for a real home and home regular season series.

It's something to keep in mind going forward because Central is playing Bishop Sullivan on Sept. 9, the opener for up here. I'm going to try go see that one, but Springfield is about a two-hour drive from my house and I have to be at work by 5 p.m. that night. So we will see.

Colquitt has played Norcross and Coffee Co. the past four seasons, in that type of scenario! And I can assure you it was FOR REAL! Norcross traveled down from the ATL that first season, on THURSDAY, for the Friday scrimmage! New Orleans Saints rookie RB Alvin Kamara won the scrimmage 33-32, on the last play!

Just now, Drummer61 said:

This could indicate a PC decline ??? By game five we will know...

I have no idea. I don't have as good a read on Springfield Central as I do most other teams in the state. I know some people out there but I don't see many of their games in person simply because there are usually games that are closer that I attend.

In this state, it's a pretty clear demarcation in terms of regions that Eastern Mass.>Central Mass.>Western Mass. Springfield Central has dominated Western Mass. lately but has had trouble getting past whatever Central Mass team it faces in the state semifinals. They "schedule up" non-league because they want to challenge their kids more than what they usually get in their part of the state. That's why you saw them take this scrimmage, the Bishop Sullivan game, etc. They played Everett several times but didn't knock them off.

I'd start pc last in bnu to start the year. Have a few studs (Clark, hardy) but lost a lot to graduation from state championship team.

PC had a very competitive scrimmage with Elizabeth. O line could be problem for pc .... Clark going to be keyed on and will have trouble finding room to run. 

I'll be shocked if pc beats A Wood Saturday. 

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

That game is a tough one. Not sure how much to read into their game against Oxbridge. It was closer than I thought. 

I don't think Oxbridge is a bad team. Not the very best in Florida but some talent and I think beat Carol City last year.

I had AW beating PC before I knew about this scrimmage but who knows...

Central has some nice pieces to work with. They haven't decided on a starting QB yet but their speed on the perimeter is pretty good.

Just now, Mickeybern said:

usually I would agree with you but I don't think AW will be able to hang with BC.. BC 42-14 is my prediction..They have too much offensive firepower

but do they have a defense that can stop the other team from putting points up on the board. that will always be the question i will have for BC

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

but do they have a defense that can stop the other team from putting points up on the board. that will always be the question i will have for BC

i look at the defense as being somewhat comparable to last years..not terrible but not great. Other teams will score but I guess I just feel the BC offense is better than it has been over the last several years. The O-line to me will be much improved. Probably the best offense Nunzio has had since 2012 with Germano.

i look at the defense as being somewhat comparable to last years..not terrible but not great. Other teams will score but I guess I just feel the BC offense is better than it has been over the last several years. The O-line to me will be much improved. Probably the best offense Nunzio has had since 2012 with Germano.

yep and in 2012 there was no state title. only a disappointing loss at Metlife. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

yep and in 2012 there was no state title. only a disappointing loss at Metlife. 

Fair enough..difficult game to lose since you beat the team 2 weeks prior by 3 scores but name another BNU team that has a Jabrill Peppers that can take over a game. Are there better defenses in the league? Yes! But right now, on paper of course, BC's offense is the most complete and dynamic. I also go back to my post on another thread, other than SJP last year I've never been that impressed with Philly football..just my opinion

Fair enough..difficult game to lose since you beat the team 2 weeks prior by 3 scores but name another BNU team that has a Jabrill Peppers that can take over a game. Are there better defenses in the league? Yes! But right now, on paper of course, BC's offense is the most complete and dynamic. I also go back to my post on another thread, other than SJP last year I've never been that impressed with Philly football..just my opinion

NJ has beat up on philly teams outside of La Salle College losing by 1 at BC because LSC decided to go for 2 for the win instead of tying up the game. The next year BC beat them up. Those i think are the only 2 philly schools to play a BNU school