Final year for Gilman HC

sportsnut25

21 minutes ago, sportsnut25 said:

Per FootballScoop: Gilman School in Baltimore, MD seeks a new head football coach for the 2018 season. Current HC/AD Tim Holley will retire from coaching at the end of the current season.

Been a long and successful career....? What he been there 2 years as HC? 

47 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Been a long and successful career....? What he been there 2 years as HC? 

He's coached at the school for decades. He's probably going to remain the AD. Everyone in the area knew that Holley was just a sit in after Poggi left for U of Michigan/St. Frances. It was a total mess when Poggi left. Like, without getting too far into the story, it got racial. Holley has let everything settle and they are ready to move on with the program. Gonzaga just crushed them 38-0. 

3 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

He's coached at the school for decades. He's probably going to remain the AD. Everyone in the area knew that Holley was just a sit in after Poggi left for U of Michigan/St. Frances. It was a total mess when Poggi left. Like, without getting too far into the story, it got racial. Holley has let everything settle and they are ready to move on with the program. Gonzaga just crushed them 38-0. 

I realized that I was kidding. Racial problems? They picking on the polish kids?

13 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I realized that I was kidding. Racial problems? They picking on the polish kids?

Gilman football was a very weird situation. It's the best academic school in Baltimore. It's older than dirt and has a very blue blood feel to it. Huge endowment for a day school. Very low acceptance rate. So, with that being said, a lot of the typical Gilman crowd(donors, alums, board members,etc...) weren't happy that Johnny Legacy Jr. wasnt getting on the football field or even accepted to the school while watching these elite football players thrive. The HC Poggi was still fighting to get more non-traditional football players in to the school and it basically hit a boiling point. Poggi is actually a very good dude and wants to help get as many kids into college as possible. St. Frances is a better fit for his type of mission. 

The racial part was fake news being spread. Maryland is a weird football state. A large portion of the state does not like the top private schools(DeMatha, Good Counsel, Gilman, McDonogh, St. John's, etc...) because of the success and exposure that they receive. They love when they fail. Love when they lose OOS. It's an absolute joke how small time they act on the local forums. Long story short, the critics were screaming that the Gilman brass were racists. Not the case. It was a struggle between the board of trustees and the football program to make everything work. If anything it was a clash of socio-economic systems. Gilman needed a couple of years off. I'm sure they will hire someone very legit and make noise again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Gilman football was a very weird situation. It's the best academic school in Baltimore. It's older than dirt and has a very blue blood feel to it. Huge endowment for a day school. Very low acceptance rate. So, with that being said, a lot of the typical Gilman crowd(donors, alums, board members,etc...) weren't happy that Johnny Legacy Jr. wasnt getting on the football field or even accepted to the school while watching these elite football players thrive. The HC Poggi was still fighting to get more non-traditional football players in to the school and it basically hit a boiling point. Poggi is actually a very good dude and wants to help get as many kids into college as possible. St. Frances is a better fit for his type of mission. 

The racial part was fake news being spread. Maryland is a weird football state. A large portion of the state does not like the top private schools(DeMatha, Good Counsel, Gilman, McDonogh, St. John's, etc...) because of the success and exposure that they receive. They love when they fail. Love when they lose OOS. It's an absolute joke how small time they act on the local forums. Long story short, the critics were screaming that the Gilman brass were racists. Not the case. It was a struggle between the board of trustees and the football program to make everything work. If anything it was a clash of socio-economic systems. Gilman needed a couple of years off. I'm sure they will hire someone very legit and make noise again.

Good breakdown. I try and stay up on the Baltimore scene.