It was ugly but I'll take the win - Grayson 12 McEachern 7

Fred

2 hours ago, 5036 Tigers said:

I truly hope that doesn't happen here in GA.  It seems more fun to see neighborhood (for the most part) kids go at it every Fall Friday.  When  kids migrate to any schoo, that is not private, it appears to take the rivalry aspect from the games themselves.

I'm with you on this, but, it does sort of seem like that ship sailed, mainly with the metro-ATL flavor of the year schools, whichever one or two it is each year.

There seems to be so little recourse against team stacking up there that one to three or so teams do it annually. It's not always the same team either, but it does happen. I can't really see a way that it can be stopped. The GHSA, even if they had the absolute will to stop it, leaves so many loopholes in the bylaws that the rules are easily skirted and teams end up full of "stars" who promptly thumb their noses at the GHSA and all of the member schools. 

I think we will have to learn to accept it, and/or benefit from the lack of will to stop it ourselves. 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, 5036 Tigers said:

I truly hope that doesn't happen here in GA.  It seems more fun to see neighborhood (for the most part) kids go at it every Fall Friday.  When  kids migrate to any schoo, that is not private, it appears to take the rivalry aspect from the games themselves.

But are you fine with the DOJ determining your childrens choice of schools? Through forced busing  (no  longer needed, costly nonetheless), gerrymandered school zones? And the rivalries appear to be, and will remain intact, whenever the communities make the committment to be the best. Just do me, ( and our fair state) a small favor. Please don't try to claim our (for the most part) neighborhood school teams are going to consistently beat any of the 2 or 3 Broward, Dade or Maricopa County All Star teams. Or BNU, Trinity League,  AAU type programs, because they re not going to very often. Open it up. Let kids go where they want. Not just for athletics. Some schools in every metro area have a Fine Arts department that stands out.Let the kid in Berrian or Mitchell, with 1st chair potential  pay a transfer fee, and be better served at Colquitt. Who has a great music program.  Stronger college prep emphasis.A kid should have the option to go where better served.And in Georgia, kids do not have that option statewide, at this time. Regardless which part of the county, or state they reside in, a kid should be allowed to transfer . And for whatever reason.That is how most of the Lower 48 roll. And half of the schools in Georgia fielding a team shouldn't bother. Almost as many teams as Florida, and 40% the number of teams as California. So in spite of the higher than average % of great players, Georgia rarely fields elite teams.A lot of damn good high school teams, but not like whay we see elsewhere, and will here, and sooner than later. Smaller schools, court mandated school zones, and no open enrollment,(the handful of city school systems) except in the circumstances I've laid out in other posts over the years. Grayson was crafty last year in their player acquisition. Though if the gloves were off, Grayson would have had 15 more linemen in the 6'4-6'7, 300+ range last year. And an all D-1 backfield.So would a dozen other schools. One each in Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Savannah and 6 or 8 super teams in the Metro-Atl.And bigger traditional schools like Lowndes, Valdosta, Thomasville,  and Colquitt, would raid adjacent counties, and  in Augusta, Columbus and Savannah's case,schools could pilfer adjacent states to fill in their needs. Just like our BNU friends. Nothing to keep South Georgia programs out of north Florida either ;-)