Aaron Hernandez had advanced CTE

Bormio

Great. Now everything is going to be blamed on CTE.

Maybe he was just a bad guy? He had been doing bad things well before he got into the NFL.

So now should every murderer's brain be examined for CTE, since they could have had multiple concussion over their lifespan from a myriad of different activities/accidents and it might explain their behaviour?

Enough already.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bones said:

I am not a CTE denier by any means, but this stuff is worthless until we have a control group at the very least.

And his problem seemed to simply be criminal behavior. I read a story about his situation that was riveting, wish I could find it. 

No doubt he was a criminal, and CTE was not the cause.  But the finding of advanced CTE so young is worrisome.  The incidence of CTE in football players appears to be much higher than in the general population.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Great. Now everything is going to be blamed on CTE.

Maybe he was just a bad guy? He had been doing bad things well before he got into the NFL.

So now should every murderer's brain be examined for CTE, since they could have had multiple concussion over their lifespan from a myriad of different activities/accidents and it might explain their behaviour?

Enough already.

I do not think many at all are blaming his criminal behavior on CTE.  But the fact is he had it, and stopped playing at 23.  That should be concerning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

No doubt he was a criminal, and CTE was not the cause.  But the finding of advanced CTE so young is worrisome.  The incidence of CTE in football players appears to be much higher than in the general population.

I agree that it is very concerning.  I don't remember ever getting one and I can't remember how many I don't remember having gotten.  Lol.  Seriously.  I think a lot of parents are thinking twice about letting their kids play.  

28 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I have to wonder how often and thoroughly non football players are being checked for CTE.    It just seems like NFL players are getting more attention than anyone else.   

I mean there are a lot of jobs that I'm sure have a very high rate of certain cancers and health issues that no one really cares about, AND they aren't even close to as high paying.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I have to wonder how often and thoroughly non football players are being checked for CTE.    It just seems like NFL players are getting more attention than anyone else.   

I mean there are a lot of jobs that I'm sure have a very high rate of certain cancers and health issues that no one really cares about, AND they aren't even close to as high paying.  

Unfortunately CTE is a pathological diagnosis, only made after death by looking at brain tissue.  Not many 27 year old NFL players die - so we don't have a good feel for understanding the timeline of the disease.  When does it start, when can you first see it, once present what is the typical course?  All good questions hard to approach.  Certainly is getting a lot of ink while other situations are ignored.  But parents and players have to make decisions on whether to play or not - and they want information.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

I do not think many at all are blaming his criminal behavior on CTE.  But the fact is he had it, and stopped playing at 23.  That should be concerning.

But what else had he done in his life? Could have been involved in numerous other activities that resulted in concussions, along with football. Could have been in lots of fights growing up. Maybe a few car accidents. Martial arts and/or boxing training. Or any other type of extreme sport. We have no idea. Just because he also played football doesn't mean it was the only cause of the early onset.

Girls soccer (youth) has one of the highest rates of concussions of any sport. Is anybody checking the brains of former players for CTE based upon behaviour later in life?

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I think a lot of parents are thinking twice about letting their kids play.  

And I think those same parents should then also think twice about letting their kids drive a car. Because far more youth are severely injured and killed every single day doing that activity, not to mention hurting others. I mean, if it's truly about protecting kids then that should be priority #1. But since driving makes parents lives easier and more convenient, its somehow an acceptable risk despite being far more dangerous.

That hypocrisy is what irritates me most. Its too dangerous for my kid to participate in football, even though there's really no evidence that playing youth through HS results in many CTE cases, but its somehow ok to allow them to drive a 4,000 pound projectile when they have little to no experience, are easily distracted by shiny objects, and can injure and kill more than just themselves. Go figure. I also don't see a ton of parents pulling their girls out of youth soccer despite the statistical data. Because the agenda seems to be solely focused on football and further driven by the media.

18 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

And I think those same parents should then also think twice about letting their kids drive a car. Because far more youth are severely injured and killed every single day doing that activity, not to mention hurting others. I mean, if it's truly about protecting kids then that should be priority #1. But since driving makes parents lives easier and more convenient, its somehow an acceptable risk despite being far more dangerous.

That hypocrisy is what irritates me most. Its too dangerous for my kid to participate in football, even though there's really no evidence that playing youth through HS results in many CTE cases, but its somehow ok to allow them to drive a 4,000 pound projectile when they have little to no experience, are easily distracted by shiny objects, and can injure and kill more than just themselves. Go figure. I also don't see a ton of parents pulling their girls out of youth soccer despite the statistical data. Because the agenda seems to be solely focused on football and further driven by the media.

I'm sure a lot of parents worry about their kids behind the wheel.  Especially if they drive like you suggest.  If I were a parent I would.  I would also teach them properly and would not let them drive until they could do so responsibly.  Anyway, not a great example of hypocrisy.

But back to football.  Until the research can answer the questions we have I can understand some not wanting to take an unnecessary risk.  As for girls soccer, they should study that equally I think.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a parent to consider the possibility that it may be a factor in causing CTE before the evidence is in.  But I don't have to make those decisions.  😊

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I'm sure a lot of parents worry about their kids behind the wheel.  Especially if they drive like you suggest.  If I were a parent I would.  I would also teach them properly and would not let them drive until they could do so responsibly.  Anyway, not a great example of hypocrisy.

It absolutely is. Driving is far more dangerous and deadly, yet millions of parents hand their kids keys to a car by age 16 and hope it turns out ok. The average teen drives most every day. While there are current restrictions in the law about who can ride with them and what time they can drive, the average parent often doesn't force their kids to abide. In the area I reside, there's been several recent teen deaths behind the wheel with friends in the vehicle and even occurring late in the evening.

If a parent chooses to restrict their kids from participating in football and also does the same with driving, I get it. But those that disallow football while allowing driving are being hypocritical and not really protecting their kids. And with the recent backlash against football, we're seeing more and more parents buy into it while not applying the same logic towards far more dangerous activities (statistically). It's not just the inexperienced and easily distracted teens you have to worry about, there's lots of reckless adult drivers out on the roads with them too. Sometimes under the influence.

The long and the short of it is that it's still a far more dangerous activity resulting in serious injury and death far more often -- even if the kid is responsible. How many kids do you know of or heard about that have suffered major injury or died behind the wheel (or while riding along with friends) versus those that have had the same thing occur playing football?

With regard to CTE, even Dr. Omalu's mentor, Julian Bailes, has stated that there's no evidence among those that participate in youth ball and believes it's safe enough.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/08/dr-julian-bailes-sees-little-risk-of-cte-from-youth-football/

https://thinkprogress.org/youth-football-concussion-crisis-f2fc701ca204/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/youth-football-concussion-symptoms-treatment-vary-by-age/

Many youth coaches don't know the signs/symptoms of a concussion. If they don't, chances are the player will be sent back into the game after having his bell rung.

And many youngsters don't know how to explain what they are feeling, or don't want to let their team down by coming out of the game.

11 minutes ago, Bones said:

Like I was saying earlier, until we know how the general non-playing public is in relation to CTE the whole discussion is worthless. We all may have CTE and not know it. These studies need to start with these control groups ASAP so we know whats really going on.

There has not been a rigorous study done - but the incidence of CTE in autopsies of the general public is well below that being reported in groups of NFL players. I agree the correlation between clinical symptoms and pathology findings needs to be better defined.

33 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I wonder if they "KNELT" during that prayer?  If you remember "kneeling" is a big part of their problem.

It seems like every politically correct sports outlet is saying it's not because of any boycott. Hmmm?  They may need to find out what to do next rather than what to blame it on.                                                                                                                    ________________________________________________________________

BOSTON (CBS) — Last season’s surprising decline in NFL TV ratings happened for a number of possible reasons. A new survey suggests that player-led national anthem protests, led by then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, were a bigger factor than many may have previously believed. In fact, they may have been the biggest.

As reported by ESPN’s Darren Rovell on Thursday, a new survey by J.D. Power polled 9,200 people who attended at least one football, basketball, or hockey game in 2016 and asked whether they had watched less than last year. Of those that watched fewer games, 26 percent cited the national anthem protests as the reason they watched less, while 24 percent cited either the NFL’s off-field problems with domestic violence or its issues with the pace of TV broadcasts.

10 minutes ago, LeftOnBase said:

I wonder if they "KNELT" during that prayer?  If you remember "kneeling" is a big part of their problem.

It seems like every politically correct sports outlet is saying it's not because of any boycott. Hmmm?  They may need to find out what to do next rather than what to blame it on.                                                                                                                    ________________________________________________________________

BOSTON (CBS) — Last season’s surprising decline in NFL TV ratings happened for a number of possible reasons. A new survey suggests that player-led national anthem protests, led by then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, were a bigger factor than many may have previously believed. In fact, they may have been the biggest.

As reported by ESPN’s Darren Rovell on Thursday, a new survey by J.D. Power polled 9,200 people who attended at least one football, basketball, or hockey game in 2016 and asked whether they had watched less than last year. Of those that watched fewer games, 26 percent cited the national anthem protests as the reason they watched less, while 24 percent cited either the NFL’s off-field problems with domestic violence or its issues with the pace of TV broadcasts.

The NFL is more concerned about who they are gonna offend then about the product on the field and with the constant commercials it is almost impossible to watch. Even last week instead of ignoring Lynch who sits during the national anthem the cameras had to show him and than talk about him. What about just showing the game and the players who are there respecting our country and not show the likes of Colin or Lynch or any of those guys. The NFL will keep losing views as we go forward and they should. I hope the networks lose billions on the account of the NFL