New Polls (2017-10-02)

dntn31

• dntn31 pinned this topic
3 hours ago, dntn31 said:

Amazing the logic of USA Today poll.  Cincinnati StX was #19 in their poll last week.  Cleveland St Ed's was NR.

StX beats fellow GCLSouth rival Elder 14-6, but drops all the way out of the poll, and St Ed's replaces them.

Yes, St Eds beat Elder in Cleveland in game 2 of the season 41-7, but we cannot have 2 Ohio teams in their poll?

Undoubtedly, they have forgotten just how competitive they GCLSouth is.  Both belong in USAT Top 25.

1 hour ago, prepsbill65 said:

Amazing the logic of USA Today poll.  Cincinnati StX was #19 in their poll last week.  Cleveland St Ed's was NR.

StX beats fellow GCLSouth rival Elder 14-6, but drops all the way out of the poll, and St Ed's replaces them.

Yes, St Eds beat Elder in Cleveland in game 2 of the season 41-7, but we cannot have 2 Ohio teams in their poll?

Undoubtedly, they have forgotten just how competitive they GCLSouth is.  Both belong in USAT Top 25.

Don't know if Ed's and X should both be top 25 or neither but when you are in that rarified air, standards are higher

beating a 3-3 team by a TD that earlier lost by 5 TDs to an unranked team is a very justifiable drop 

everyone doesn't get the Grayson treatment of just winning and advancing 

4 hours ago, BigBobT said:

Lowndes makes their way into another national poll although its one this site apparently doesn't recognize.

http://www.prepforce.com/home/front-page/prep-force-national-high-school-football-rankings-–-week-7/

Shameless plug,  The prepgridiron forum poll had Lowndes #25 last week. 

Prepgridiron poll had OH covered last week.  

Posted Thursday at 07:37 PM
Week 6 Top 25 Rankings. Updated 9/28/2017. 

1. IMG Academy (FL) 3-0 defeated Miami Central; next up Miami Northwestern (FL)
2. Mater Dei (CA) (5) 5-0 defeated St. Mary's; next up Santa Margarita on 10/6
3. St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 3-0 defeated Stranahan; next up Centennial (AZ) 
4. St. John Bosco (CA) 3-1 defeated St. John's College (DC); next up Orange Lutheran on 10/6
5. Allen (TX) 3-0 bye; next up Boyd
6. Grayson (GA) 4-0 defeated International School of Broward (FL); next up Ramsay (AL)
7. Miami Central (FL) 3-1 lost to IMG Academy; next up Norland
8. Centennial (CA) 3-1 bye; next up Roosevelt on 10/6
9. American Heritage (FL) 3-0 defeated Chaminade-Madonna; next up Stranahan on 10/6
10. Bishop Gorman (NV)  3-2 defeated Bonanza; next up Spring Valley
11. St. Frances Academy (MD) 4-0 defeated Calvert Hall; next up Loyola Blakefield 
12. Bingham (UT) 6-0 defeated Westlake; next up Lone Peak
13. Ben Davis (IN) 6-0 defeated Lawrence North; next up Carmel
14. Converse Judson (TX) 4-0 defeated New Braunfels; next up Steele
15. Dematha (MD) 4-1 defeated Friendship Collegiate (DC); next up Gonzaga
16. Trinity (KY) 6-0 defeated Jeffersontown; next up St. Xavier
17. Miami Northwestern (FL) 3-0 defeated Booker T. Washington; next up IMG Academy
18. St. John's College (DC) 2-2 lost to St. John Bosco (CA); next up Our Lady of Good Counsel
19. St. Xavier (OH) 5-0 defeated Archbishop Moeller; next up Elder
20. DeSoto (TX) 3-0 bye; next up Cedar Hill
21. St. Edward (OH) 5-0 defeated Buchtel; next up Naperville Central (IL)
22. Katy (TX) 2-0 defeated Cinco Ranch; next up Katy Taylor
23. De La Salle (CA) 4-1 defeated Central; next up Bishop O'Dowd
24. South Pointe (SC) 5-0 defeated Shelby; next up Ridgeview
25. Lowndes (GA) 5-0 defeated Shiloh; next up Ware County
On the Bubble: Chaminade (CA), Union (OK), St. Joseph's Prep (PA), St. Peter's Prep (NJ) and St. Ignatius (OH)

As Echs showed in one recent post, it's hilarious how Freeman can tinker with state scaling and now GA is back in favor this season. 

Calpreps has 10 GA teams rated in the top 100 (FL 11 including IMG),  GA has 26 teams rated in the top 250 (FL 27 incl IMG).   PA was 12th last week.  This week 7th.   Still amused by Utah's avg. schedule strength.  

image.thumb.png.3210b25c9d3cc1eae3c7b605ee676882.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pops said:

Don't know if Ed's and X should both be top 25 or neither but when you are in that rarified air, standards are higher

beating a 3-3 team by a TD that earlier lost by 5 TDs to an unranked team is a very justifiable drop 

everyone doesn't get the Grayson treatment of just winning and advancing 

Then using your logic, StX should be ranked ahead of Lou. Trinity.  Trinity (at home) beat Moeller 38-30, while StX beat Moeller at Moeller

30-7.  Comparative scores are deceptive way to rank teams, especially in the highly competitive GCLS, IMO.  

Not saying StEd's should not be ranked, they should.  Along with St. Ignatius.  3 undefeated Ohio teams mentioned,sitting behind a couple of 2 loss teams. And yes, StX plays at St. Ignatius (week 9) and St. Ignatius plays St. Ed's (week 10). Comparative scores won't matter, only who wins.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Then using your logic, StX should be ranked ahead of Lou. Trinity.  Trinity (at home) beat Moeller 38-30, while StX beat Moeller at Moeller

30-7.  Comparative scores are deceptive way to rank teams, especially in the highly competitive GCLS, IMO.  

Not saying StEd's should not be ranked, they should.  Along with St. Ignatius.  3 undefeated Ohio teams mentioned,sitting behind a couple of 2 loss teams. And yes, StX plays at St. Ignatius (week 9) and St. Ignatius plays St. Ed's (week 10). Comparative scores won't matter, only who wins.

The X vs X last game of the season will be a big game 

• Like 1

Again -- I'm not suggesting where they ought to be ranked, I'm saying small movements in rankings get too big of scrutiny on here 

National hsfb ranking do not and should not behave as college Fb rankings where it seems everyone's sensitivity comes from

DLS went from 15th to 1st one year -- but they did it after beating the string #1 team and that only bumped them over 1/10th of 1% of ranked teams -- in FBS, that same move would jump them over about 13% of teams

12 minutes ago, Pops said:

Again -- I'm not suggesting where they ought to be ranked, I'm saying small movements in rankings get too big of scrutiny on here 

National hsfb ranking do not and should not behave as college Fb rankings where it seems everyone's sensitivity comes from

DLS went from 15th to 1st one year -- but they did it after beating the string #1 team and that only bumped them over 1/10th of 1% of ranked teams -- in FBS, that same move would jump them over about 13% of teams

I understand what you are saying.  Unfortunately, StX SOS is down with a couple of teams they (in past seasons) would not have played.

Tbh I think X deserved to drop. And to a lesser degree Eds too.

And I dropped them both a few spots as a result in my top 25. 

It wasn't just about the margin of victory....they didn't look good at all against Elder. Some of that you can chalk up to League familiarity/rivalry.....but honestly, Elder's secondary isnt good at all and with St. X having such a highly touted and capable offense, they should have looked much better......additionally Elder moved the ball fairly easily for 300+ on the highly totuted X D, they just couldn't come away with points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Tbh I think X deserved to drop. And to a lesser degree Eds too.

And I dropped them both a few spots as a result in my top 25. 

It wasn't just about the margin of victory....they didn't look good at all against Elder. Some of that you can chalk up to League familiarity/rivalry.....but honestly, Elder's secondary isnt good at all and with St. X having such a highly touted and capable offense, they should have looked much better......additionally Elder moved the ball fairly easily for 300+ on the highly totuted X D, they just couldn't come away with points.

Agree......StX got beat up front.  The O line, which had played so well and protected Wolf in the first 5 games, did not handle Elder's defensive scheme.  X was throwing quick east-west passes and really did not try to go down the field with any consistency.  Elder sustained several long drives which we had not seen against this X defense.  Elder was in the red zone 4-5 times....started inside the X10- 3 times, could only generate 2 Field Goals.  Remember X gave up only 1 TD in the 4 games prior to Elder, and 0 to Elder.  In two of those games (both with running clocks) the TD's were scored in the final minutes against backups.  The D played most of the game, as the offense was very inconsistent.  Hats off to Elder.... good wack up call for X.  Can not lose focus this week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

I wish St X (OH) would play Trinity and the winner could play Ben Davis! 

IMHO, Ben Davis is the best of both T and X...T's offense, and X's  defense...So I'd give BD the edge against both!!!

All three schools have played a good early season schedule, but BD has taken no prisoners, while T an X have had a WTF game or two!!!

B|

3 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Elder moved the ball fairly easily for 300+ on the highly totuted X D, they just couldn't come away with points

Respectfully, if you aren't scoring points it doesn't matter how well you move the ball and how many yards you gain.  Sometimes I think far too much emphasis is placed on yards when the score is what matters.  Just my $0.02 and your mileage will vary.

• dntn31 unpinned this topic