Ohio Playoffs: State Championships 2023

OdbCle

5 minutes ago, reggid said:

Judging by how this game went, one would think that it was played in a downpour or a hurricane or a blizzard, but the weather was actually decent.  Hate to say it about a high school game with kids playing hard and fighting to the end, but that was an atrocious game.

Those in Ohio -us thought a 17-14 type of game 

but 7-2 nah 

These were the best two defenses in the state. Passing game from both sides had miscues that could of ended up being big plays but there wasnt many passing attempts in the first place. Winning came down to discipline and turnovers.

Just curious who would be considered top 50ish?

St Eds was ranked like 10 or 11 when Massillon beat them.

St Johns(DC) was ranked mid 30s when they beat them.

Hoban was ranked 25 when they beat them.

Massillon had the most harbin points ever since like 2000. 16-0 against their schedule shouldnt be downplayed, also going 4-0 against out of state opponents. Obviously isnt as difficult as a more national schedule that Cali/Texas/Florida teams play.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 100_100 said:

Just curious who would be considered top 50ish?

St Eds was ranked like 10 or 11 when Massillon beat them.

St Johns(DC) was ranked mid 30s when they beat them.

Hoban was ranked 25 when they beat them.

St. John's was 5-5 and lost four games by 3+ scores. Calpreps has them #250 and Massey has them #231. Not close to 100 let alone top 50.

St. Ed's is #29/#32.

Hoban is #51/#82.

So two borderline cases and both were struggle busses.

Oh, and there's the small point that Massillon has no talent.

3 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

St. John's was 5-5 and lost four games by 3+ scores. Calpreps has them #250 and Massey has them #231. Not close to 100 let alone top 50.

St. Ed's is #29/#32.

Hoban is #51/#82.

So two borderline cases and both were struggle busses.

Oh, and there's the small point that Massillon has no talent.

I mean thats the current rankings, if they get beat obviously they will fall. Not saying St Johns was good this season, but when put on the schedule there was belief they are a traditionally strong DC private.

Yeh no talent, just going 16-0.....or do you only care about stars like the highly touted St Eds O-line, that got handled.

39 minutes ago, 100_100 said:

Massillon had the most harbin points ever since like 2000. 16-0 against their schedule shouldnt be downplayed, also going 4-0 against out of state opponents. Obviously isnt as difficult as a more national schedule that Cali/Texas/Florida teams play.

Harbin points are meaningless outside of their intended use which to qualify teams for and seed the playoffs.

By all means, celebrate 16-0. Just don't tell me that Ohio DII had two teams in the top 0.2% of the entire country. Because that's nonsense.

Also, two of the OOS opponents were terrible and two were decent. Not exactly a murderer's row.

12 minutes ago, 100_100 said:

I mean thats the current rankings, if they get beat obviously they will fall. Not saying St Johns was good this season, but when put on the schedule there was belief they are a traditionally strong DC private.

I'm not interested in your propaganda.

How good they *actually* are is the only thing that matters.

Three other teams beat St. John's as bad as Massillon did. Not much of an accomplishment.

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Harbin points are meaningless outside of their intended use which to qualify teams for and seed the playoffs.

By all means, celebrate 16-0. Just don't tell me that Ohio DII had two teams in the top 0.2% of the entire country. Because that's nonsense.

Also, two of the OOS opponents were terrible and two were decent. Not exactly a murderer's row.

I agree about two of them not being good. I wasn’t trying to hype that up but was more of mentioning they have beat out of state teams from variety aspect. Only reason Middletown was put on the schedule is cause they reached out and said they enjoyed the trip/experience for the kids from the prior year

I'm not interested in your propaganda.

How good they *actually* are is the only thing that matters.

Three other teams beat St. John's as bad as Massillon did. Not much of an accomplishment.

Propaganda…...lol

So if Massillon had BG on their schedule like they were supposed to in 2020. BG turned out to be dogshit that year, just throw it in the toilet at their attempt of scheduling a good team.

Records have nothing to do with talent. Massillon has none. Zero. Zip.

Yeah, they handled them alright. With that massive (checks notes) 2-point win.

Let me know what Massillon D has anything to do with what the offense did that day. Dunno why you seem so defensive, I only asked about the top 50 opponents. Never mentioned anything about some % that’s being thrown around. Just curious what allows a team with no talent to beat teams that do have talent though. Comparing them to schools near them in the composite ranking, it’s either private schools or public’s with much larger enrollment.

For the record, this thread is about the Ohio state title games, not some mythical, artificial, subjective, and sometimes sketchy and dubious “national rankings.”

At the end of the day, winning the state title is all that matters, and going 16-0 and winning a state title in Ohio is impressive regardless of how you get there.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 100_100 said:

Let me know what Massillon D has anything to do with what the offense did that day. Dunno why you seem so defensive, I only asked about the top 50 opponents. Never mentioned anything about some % that’s being thrown around. Just curious what allows a team with no talent to beat teams that do have talent though. Comparing them to schools near them in the composite ranking, it’s either private schools or public’s with much larger enrollment.

I would advise not entertaining this guy. It will end up in a long back-and-forth that will consist of about 100 posts berating you for having the audacity to rank a DII Ohio team that high. He is very defensive. Every team in my (or anyone else's for that matter) poll does not have the talent to be ranked in a top 50 or 100. I have repeatedly asked him to put out his own poll for years. He chickens out and uses a "I'm too busy to do that" excuse to not put one out. Deep down he knows that once he starts checking out all of these teams througout the country, he will come to the conclusion that all teams (with the exception of 5-10) would get blown out by the likes of MD, SJB, IMG, STA, for example. Those teams are in an extremely elite category. Then you are left with the hard decision of who should be ranked in the #10-100 range. All of these teams are in the the top 0.6% of all teams in the entire country. In his feeble mind he believes that only those top 5-10 teams deserve to be ranked. Simply put, he has no idea who those other teams should be......   

2 hours ago, 100_100 said:

So if Massillon had BG on their schedule like they were supposed to in 2020. BG turned out to be dogshit that year, just throw it in the toilet at their attempt of scheduling a good team.

So if they had a completely different team on their schedule in a completely different season then....what exactly? Who cares? What does this have to do with Massillon playing crappy OOS teams and not being a top 0.2% team in 2023?

2 hours ago, 100_100 said:

The lack of talent (which was the point) had everything to do with what their offense did. If they handled them in the trenches then why did they score 15 points? Because they have no skill talent.

I'm on the offensive. You're the one being defensive. I'm not sure you even know what those terms mean.

Who's to say that their opponents have talent? If they do (like St. John's) then a bunch of other teams with lesser talent beat them too. Doesn't seem like much of a mystery.

Massillon played two teams that seem worth a shit and scored 22 points. In 96 minutes of play.

Make of that what you will.