Lakeland vs Miami Central in Miami.

RedZone

11 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Dade had all-time teams in 1993 (Southridge), 1996-97 (Carol City) and 1998 (Northwestern) long before that time.

But let's be honest here: Lakeland didn't play them because of lack of "super" teams. We know that because at that time Lakeland did play *other* Dade County teams.

Here is a comprehensive list of the South Florida teams Lakeland played, all at home, during the last 30 years:

Lakeland purposefully played bad teams. The correct answer to the question of why didn't Lakeland play games like this in the past is easy: They didn't want to.

The facts in this area so strongly favor me that I'm inclined to let you regroup, review the facts and then wave the white flag. Dade has always had an abundance of great players, and often had teams good enough to win state titles, but never had super-stacked teams until MNW in 2006-07 and beyond. I will offer a tidbit to give some perspective:

In 1986, Lakeland won a state title in the largest classification. They won it in a road game at...Dunedin. Most/all would exclaim "Dunedin??! LOL". What isn't known is WHY it was Dunedin that Lakeland had to beat. The reason it was Dunedin is that Miami Carol City- which had beaten Northwestern and Columbus without yielding a single point in either game- lost to Dunedin. Lakeland didn't have to play Northwestern or Columbus or Carol City because it was Dunedin that came out of that side of the bracket. That sort of thing is unfathomable today. 

Those three teams you mentioned were nothing compared to the super teams of today. The 1996 Carol City team lost 31-19 to Sarasota Riverview. Dade and Broward teams getting blasted on the suncoast weren't uncommon in those days. 1998 Northwestern trailed Jackson 14-2 with just over two minutes to play before miraculously pulling out a 15-14 win. Compile the number of players on those teams with major college scholarships and compare them to what elite teams have today and it's not close.

10 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

They sought and played bad teams from 3+ hours away frequently. It was an explicit scheduling strategy.

What makes your routine here so funny is that this is all open record. It's not hard to find out this stuff. It's there for all to see.

It was a financial decision. Only piss poor programs destined to disappear don't make financial considerations in scheduling. 

9 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

1980: Edison, W 55-6

2002: Booker T. Washington, W 24-8

2016: Booker T. Washington, L 27-23

So, what you're saying is, come August, in this century STA will have played at Traz Powell twice and Lakeland once. The trip from Lakeland High to Traz powell is 4 hours. From STA, the trip is thirty minutes. Okie dokie!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

The facts in this area so strongly favor me that I'm inclined to let you regroup, review the facts and then wave the white flag.

I posted an entire list of slapdicks that Lakeland purposefully plucked from Dade/Broward Counties and yet you think that you have a trump card because you lied about the history of great teams in Dade County?

I won't let you regroup, ever, despite consistently nailing you to the wall on this schedules stuff.

A person of normal intelligence and/or dignity would've just admitted it and let it be. You, however, are determined to continue taking shellackings. 

• Haha 1

Dade has always had an abundance of great players, and often had teams good enough to win state titles, but never had super-stacked teams until MNW in 2006-07 and beyond. 

These are the kind of strawmen that you routinely erect.

Why would it need to be a super team? Lakeland lost to *Estero* at home in 1998. They lost to an STA team in 1997 that played 1.5 quarters with a defensive back playing quarterback. That was also at home. They lost by 34 points to Riverview in the first round of the 1993 playoffs.

Lakeland would've probably lost in the majority of the games I just mentioned.

Yet, badrouter dismisses these games as not serious because they weren't super teams.

A totally unserious person.

In 1986, Lakeland won a state title in the largest classification. They won it in a road game at...Dunedin. Most/all would exclaim "Dunedin??! LOL". What isn't known is WHY it was Dunedin that Lakeland had to beat. The reason it was Dunedin is that Miami Carol City- which had beaten Northwestern and Columbus without yielding a single point in either game- lost to Dunedin. Lakeland didn't have to play Northwestern or Columbus or Carol City because it was Dunedin that came out of that side of the bracket. That sort of thing is unfathomable today. 

And?

We went from talking about the 1990's to you changing the subject to 1986 for no other reason than you were cornered and check-mated in the actual topic.

You are such a dodgy little twit that you constantly have to do this stuff.

• Haha 1

Those three teams you mentioned were nothing compared to the super teams of today. The 1996 Carol City team lost 31-19 to Sarasota Riverview. Dade and Broward teams getting blasted on the suncoast weren't uncommon in those days. 1998 Northwestern trailed Jackson 14-2 with just over two minutes to play before miraculously pulling out a 15-14 win. Compile the number of players on those teams with major college scholarships and compare them to what elite teams have today and it's not close.

Again, and?

Definition and Examples of the Straw Man Fallacy

It was a financial decision. Only piss poor programs destined to disappear don't make financial considerations in scheduling. 

This is so pathetic that I'm embarrassed for you.

First, you claim that the "schedule stuff is overboard" and then when confronted with the simplest of evidence you concede and merely state that it was about money.

No shit.

Lakeland played purposefully bad schedules for 40 years because they wanted easy gates and easy wins.

So then why have you spent so much time, and shed so much dignity, trying to claim that it's not true?

So, what you're saying is, come August, in this century STA will have played at Traz Powell twice and Lakeland once. The trip from Lakeland High to Traz powell is 4 hours. From STA, the trip is thirty minutes. Okie dokie!

Everybody knew that when confronted with incontrovertible facts you would shift the subject to STA and try to pull some move like this.

As of the 2023 season, Lakeland has played *FORTY* straight regular games against Dade/Broward teams at home without making a single trip to South Florida.

With this exemplary record of dodgery, badrouter pathetically attempts to gain sympathy for Lakeland by.....saying that a third party program made a far more commensurate number of trips to *one* Dade County stadium vs. the number of home games they played?

Yes, he actually did just try that.

Pitiful for sure.

47 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The games I mentioned are on Youtube.

The 1998 Northwestern win over Jackson is one of the most shocking(ly bad) collapses in high school history: MNW-Jackson 1998

So 15-0 and national top 5 team Northwestern must bury their heads in collective shame for *winning* a huge playoff game against their biggest rival while 13-1 Lakeland, who lost to *Estero* at home, is able to just flippantly dismiss any such challenge.

I'd say that this is peak badrouter but I've see him be much, much worse and more groveling than this.

40 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I posted an entire list of slapdicks that Lakeland purposefully plucked from Dade/Broward Counties and yet you think that you have a trump card because you lied about the history of great teams in Dade County?

I won't let you regroup, ever, despite consistently nailing you to the wall on this schedules stuff.

A person of normal intelligence and/or dignity would've just admitted it and let it be. You, however, are determined to continue taking shellackings. 

Lost on the minds of casual observers is the fact that Lakeland is a four-hour drive from Miami. It's silly to make that trip, unless you're getting a check. And the broke Dade athletic departments weren't going to offer that to Lakeland. Oddly, an STA guy calls Lakeland out for not traveling four hours to play in Dade, while his own STA almost never plays in Dade. How many times has STA made the 30-minute drive to play at Central, MNW, BTW, Columbus etc? It's a number barely higher than Lakeland's...

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

These are the kind of strawmen that you routinely erect.

Why would it need to be a super team? Lakeland lost to *Estero* at home in 1998. They lost to an STA team in 1997 that played 1.5 quarters with a defensive back playing quarterback. That was also at home. They lost by 34 points to Riverview in the first round of the 1993 playoffs.

Lakeland would've probably lost in the majority of the games I just mentioned.

Yet, badrouter dismisses these games as not serious because they weren't super teams.

A totally unserious person.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 8.11.16 PM.png

34 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

So 15-0 and national top 5 team Northwestern must bury their heads in collective shame for *winning* a huge playoff game against their biggest rival while 13-1 Lakeland, who lost to *Estero* at home, is able to just flippantly dismiss any such challenge.

I'd say that this is peak badrouter but I've see him be much, much worse and more groveling than this.

I can't stop laughing. You said Northwestern was an "all-time team", and I showed they needed a miracle from a terribly coached Jackson team to win by a point at the buzzer.  i made no mention of 1998 Lakeland. But, of course your move is to go there because it's more fun to think about their loss where Houston North Shore's assistant coach was injured and out than to think about what happened the previous week. 

Now that we are talking 1998 Lakeland (thanks!), you ever get the film from STA's last playoff game that year at Brian Piccolo? I've still never seen that game :( 

16 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

CalPreps FL top 20 ratings from 2019 - 2023 (5 year period) 

Lakeland:   State of FL 10th 

Top 1000 rated opponent games 

19th out of 20  (25, 15-10)

SOS opponent rating 

17th out of 20  (30.3

IMG_8309.jpeg

And Venice is 5th. So, we can take calpreps with a grain of salt.

7 hours ago, badrouter said:

Lost on the minds of casual observers is the fact that Lakeland is a four-hour drive from Miami. It's silly to make that trip, unless you're getting a check. 

It's not lost at all since we mentioned that early on. Everybody knows what Lakeland is doing and why.

7 hours ago, badrouter said:

How many times has STA made the 30-minute drive to play at Central, MNW, BTW, Columbus etc? It's a number barely higher than Lakeland's...

We also haven't played *FORTY* regular season games against South Florida teams in the last 30 years and not made a single return trip. Which was, you know, the actual point.

It's also not lost on people how you consistently dance around the actual points while completely absolving Lakeland of any shame for using these tactics.