Calpreps has officially "jumped the shark."

Las Vegas_JC

58 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Ok some fuel to the fire here...

JSerra ranked #25

BG ranked #52

Ouch! 

Here’s the thing

1). CP probably juices socal and other areas a bit by giving teams credit for playing great SOS AND underweights very talented teams that play no one

2). We (all of us) collectively assess that BG ought to be around #10 and JSerra #50 — that’s not that different in relative rankings — CP and humans identified both as in the upper 0.4% of all teams.  When we’re having these Ranking debates referencing SOS, that variance is more than acceptable — a full 1.0% is about 150 teams which is a very narrow range when comparing 14k+ teams 

6 hours ago, Pops said:

Here’s the thing

1). CP probably juices socal and other areas a bit by giving teams credit for playing great SOS AND underweights very talented teams that play no one

2). We (all of us) collectively assess that BG ought to be around #10 and JSerra #50 — that’s not that different in relative rankings — CP and humans identified both as in the upper 0.4% of all teams.  When we’re having these Ranking debates referencing SOS, that variance is more than acceptable — a full 1.0% is about 150 teams which is a very narrow range when comparing 14k+ teams 

My problem is there isn't the due punishment for losses OOS or out of region for the Cali teams.   Does Cpreps know SJB changed their QB?   They are 8-2 with a loss to a down STA.   No way they should be #3 in a computer poll.  

Socal isn't just weighted highly, it's weighted through the roof.  Which is crazy.  

• Like 1

Lets forget Cali for a second (sort of)

Bartram Trail (7-3)  State rank 17   National  148

STA (7-2)      state rank  19  national  152

Here it looks as though STA gets no credit for beating SJB.   Just as SJB gets no penalty for losing.   Who has Bartram trail beat other than a down Mainland?

47 minutes ago, Pops said:

Here’s the thing

That's fine.   Now if the results were completely random and we had random inconsistencies every year it wouldn't be an issue.   The variance may be acceptable, but the ratings are consistently skewed too far in one direction.   

If I flip a coin 10 times and get heads 7 times that's fine.   If I repeat that test 10-15 times and I get heads at least 7/10 each time then there's something wrong with that coin's weight.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

Socal isn't just weighted highly, it's weighted through the roof.  Which is crazy.  

SJB is probably still a top 10 team so why scratch your eyes at if they’re #3 — they played MD closer than anyone, beat a bunch of excellent teams, and lost in OT in game one in Brian Piccolo.  I don’t think their #3, but i could see how their resume is evaluated that way (ditto thinking JC was t #152 in ‘12).  I think the guys that have the most issue with CP also take it the most literally

Ok so a recap on Calpreps as of now...

#1 MD  (10-0)

#3 SJB  (8-2)    This is a big surprise for me honestly.     

#5 Cen10 (8-1)

#10 Mission Viejo (10-0)

#11 Chaminade  (9-1)

#14 Santa Margarita (7-3)

#17 Folsom (10-0)

#19 DLS (9-1)

#25 JSerra (7-3)

This is way over the top.

AGreed.

After Cen10 all the rest should drop 20+ spots and the devil should not be in there at all

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

Ok so a recap on Calpreps as of now...

#1 MD  (10-0)  2

#3 SJB  (8-2)    This is a big surprise for m honestly.     

#5 Cen10 (8-1)

#10 Mission Viejo (10-0)

#11 Chaminade  (9-1)

#14 Santa Margarita (7-3)

#17 Folsom (10-0)

#19 DLS (9-1)

#25 JSerra (7-3)

This is way over the top.

hqdefault.jpg

I may have 6 in this week for Cali.   Been rolling with 5 for some time.   

• Haha 2

That's fine.   Now if the results were completely random and we had random inconsistencies every year it wouldn't be an issue.   The variance may be acceptable, but the ratings are consistently skewed too far in one direction.   

If I flip a coin 10 times and get heads 7 times that's fine.   If I repeat that test 10-15 times and I get heads at least 7/10 each time then there's something wrong with that coin's weight.  

I truly understand where you’re coming from as it's a NorCal/ socal debate every year with NorCal playing the role of FL

Relatice to human perceptions CP probably overweights CP but then remember it’s a rating system. Not rankings

Jc in ‘12 was better than #152 but their resume wasn’t 

16 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

AGreed.

After Cen10 all the rest should drop 20+ spots and the devil should not be in there at all

Drop SJB 10

the other socal teams (besides MD and CC) 20

leave NorCal alone — CP has DLS lower than any other poll and should be kept away from your horse trading/ sacrificing if some socal teams in order to prop up others

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

Drop SJB 10

the other socal teams (besides MD and CC) 20

leave NorCal alone — CP has DLS lower than any other poll and should be kept away from your horse trading/ sacrificing if some socal teams in order to prop up others

the devil's best wins are Oak Ridge and Coor d'lane.  Gimme a break.

They would have 3+ losses playing JSerra Schedule

4 hours ago, 954gator said:

I understand how CP works. 

My complaints are 1) that it obviously does not weigh the on field results properly. 2) Some states such as California are over valued. Making it easier for Cali teams to float to the top of the CP rating system. 3) People who thump CP as the gospel. 

47 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

the devil's best wins are Oak Ridge and Coor d'lane.  Gimme a break.

They would have 3+ losses playing JSerra Schedule

I️ understand — have known you for almost 10 years

right around this time every year you picknon teams with weak SOS that are highly ranked and always say how many losses they’d have with some 4-6 loss irrelevant trinity league teams achedule

i agree and have supported you many times 

you just need to work a bit harder to find more appropriate teams than knew jerking to Folsom who has more quality wins than 1/3 of top 25 (in uninflates sos)

8 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

So then why is the Calpreps algorithm updated every other year. Most recently last year. If it is such a great program then there is no need to tweak it. 

You don’t think there’s more of a need to tweak human polls that move a team that plays tough September schedule to #1 and then keeps them there without question for 3 months if nobodies?

what a surprise

the only reason the humans don’t tweak is they don’t acknowledge their mistakes 

2 hours ago, Pops said:

SJB is probably still a top 10 team so why scratch your eyes at if they’re #3 — they played MD closer than anyone, beat a bunch of excellent teams, and lost in OT in game one in Brian Piccolo.  I don’t think their #3, but i could see how their resume is evaluated that way (ditto thinking JC was t #152 in ‘12).  I think the guys that have the most issue with CP also take it the most literally

The fact that this SoCal bumps helps the teams feed off each other.

Are you still too 'tarded to understand theres no real way to scale states against each other reliably? He even says so. This will never be a great product because of that.. the states are weighed the way he wants then weighed... the actual results matter less state vs state than do his scaling of them. Bc no matter what, these overrated teams will keep themselves overrated by feeding off themselves... always getting higher PRs than they should.

2 hours ago, Pops said:

It's not about where I think they actually stand.  I think SJB is a damn good team, it's more about what the results show.   An algorithm shouldn't take into account what we see in the eye test.   I absolutely think SJB is top 10, I just don't think that they should be rated that high on CP at least not yet.    

On 11/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, Pops said:

I’ve always liked you and regret you are stepping between LV and me — we don’t like each other much

am just responding to last part as If that was directed at me, I don’t think I went there — I’ve had issues with the sanchez’s For years so it doesn’t have anything to do with W or L and I don’t believe in my many beefs with them I jumped on the aggravated assault bandwagon (even when in the news)

I just think that’s out of bounds unlike your buddy LV who takes every opportunity to denigrate DLS by making the institution repos sink for the alleged misbehavior of one boy

Yea, you did go there.

On 11/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, Pops said:

I wouldn’t want my kid playing for a guy that beats up women......

I have given up on trying to argue CalPreps & as I've said people use which rankings support their claims.  Done with this topic and have to get over to address BG's in state record post ;)

@Gridiron Godfather

On Sunday he posted this:

On 11/5/2017 at 8:15 AM, Pops said:

I am soooooooooo glad DLS has its coaches and BG has Sanchez — I wouldn’t want my kid playing for a guy that beats up women......

Then on  Monday he posted this:

On 11/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, Pops said:

.......am just responding to last part as If that was directed at me, I don’t think I went there — I’ve had issues with the sanchez’s For years so it doesn’t have anything to do with W or L and I don’t believe in my many beefs with them I jumped on the aggravated assault bandwagon (even when in the news)

I just think that’s out of bounds unlike your buddy LV who takes every opportunity to denigrate DLS by making the institution repos sink for the alleged misbehavior of one boy

16 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

@Gridiron Godfather

On Sunday he posted this:

Then on  Monday he posted this:

I'm telling you it's not worth the headache to argue about DLS or CalPreps.  I've tried it in the past..lol

I just look at it as a homer fan, much like myself, will fight tooth and nail for their team and use whatever evidence they can dig up to support their claims.  I've spent countless hours researching & typing away trying to make a point before, just to fall on deaf ears.  Best to just move on & just engage in a little playful banter.  Plus we get to beat them at their place next year ;)

Are you going to the game tonight?

• Like 2