Ohio Playoffs, 4th round (semifinals)

Coletrain06

Well, just got back from the game.....here's my takeaways.

• 2 very good teams. Pick Central is the real deal.
  • Both teams pretty evenly matched, but 5 Turnovers for Colerain in the 2nd half to 0 for Pick Central was the difference. All turnovers gave Pickerington Central short fields. 
  • Colerain's best player FB/LB Ivan Pace Jr. was injured on the first series, and spent the rest of the game limping. This was huge, especially on defense, and it probably had something to do with Pace's 2 consecutive fumbles in the 2nd half.
  • Pick Central dominated the LOS, with an all senior OLine that averaged over 300 lbs, and Colerain's DLine that averaged around 190. Pick Central's QB is a stud and one heck of a player. Also their 2 Michigan State recruits were incredible. 
  • Everytime Colerain had an opportunity to go up 2 scores/steal momentum they turned it over. 
  • Dan Bolden is one of the best LB's in the state. JJ Davis has really become an incredible back.

10 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Well, just got back from the game.....here's my takeaways.

• 2 very good teams. Pick Central is the real deal.
  • Both teams pretty evenly matched, but 5 Turnovers for Colerain in the 2nd half to 0 for Pick Central was the difference. All turnovers gave Pickerington Central short fields. 
  • Colerain's best player FB/LB Ivan Pace Jr. was injured on the first series, and spent the rest of the game limping. This was huge, especially on defense, and it probably had something to do with Pace's 2 consecutive fumbles in the 2nd half.
  • Pick Central dominated the LOS, with an all senior OLine that averaged over 300 lbs, and Colerain's DLine that averaged around 190. Pick Central's QB is a stud and one heck of a player. Also their 2 Michigan State recruits were incredible. 
  • Everytime Colerain had an opportunity to go up 2 scores/steal momentum they turned it over. 
  • Dan Bolden is one of the best LB's in the state. JJ Davis has really become an incredible back.

Here's my take :

PC dominated the game with out the exception of Davis for Colerain. 

Good D 

vanilla O says see you next year

2 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Here's my take :

PC dominated the game with out the exception of Davis for Colerain. 

Good D 

vanilla O says see you next year

seems like we watched different games

and that's a very bizarre thing to say. I could say Colerain dominated PC except for Crenshaw.

..........Colerain runs the triple option, and make the reads based on the defense......PC was taking away the FB and the pitch was open......you can't take away Colerain's most successful option. There's a reason he averages 15 yds per carry.

The offense wasn't the problem at all......they put up 411 yds and moved the ball well 

turnovers were simply the difference

Just now, Coletrain06 said:

seems like we watched different games

and that's a very bizarre thing to say. I could say Colerain dominated PC except for Crenshaw.

..........Colerain runs the triple option, and make the reads based on the defense......PC was taking away the FB and the pitch was open......you can't take away Colerain's most successful option. There's a reason he averages 15 yds per carry.

The offense wasn't the problem at all......they put up 411 yds and moved the ball well 

turnovers were simply the difference

That's what happens when you lose 

like last week Colerain did dominate but they were one play from losing that game 

this week , no first downs in the 1rst qtr 

Davis had  200 plus yards , take that away they get shut out

young team back next year stronger! 😀

23 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

That's what happens when you lose 

like last week Colerain did dominate but they were one play from losing that game 

this week , no first downs in the 1rst qtr 

Davis had  200 plus yards , take that away they get shut out

young team back next year stronger! 😀

Sorry my friend, but This statement makes no sense to me.

You can't take away 1 of the 3 options in a triple option.....That is exactly how Colerain's offense is supposed to work

11 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

It's tough losing I know 

but that's part of the game 

Oh, so it's the basic tenants of football you don't understand. I see. Let me see if I can lay this out for you. 

1st half - 0 turnovers - 6 pts on 2 FG for PC

2nd half - 5 turnovers on their own side of the field - 5 TD for PC 

The game came down to mistakes. Colerain made them, PC didn't. Just even the turnovers and Colerain wins by two scores. 

Return a ton next year. Should be back-to-back regional champions. 

-93CardinalsFan 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Oh, so it's the basic tenants of football you don't understand. I see. Let me see if I can lay this out for you. 

1st half - 0 turnovers - 6 pts on 2 FG for PC

2nd half - 5 turnovers on their own side of the field - 5 TD for PC 

The game came down to mistakes. Colerain made them, PC didn't. Just even the turnovers and Colerain wins by two scores. 

Return a ton next year. Should be back-to-back regional champions. 

-93CardinalsFan 

Anytime a triple option team is forced to go to the pitch option, then that offense becomes a very high risk offense.   Can't complain about turnovers when you run a high risk offense.  Comes with the territory

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Anytime a triple option team is forced to go to the pitch option, then that offense becomes a very high risk offense.   Can't complain about turnovers when you run a high risk offense.  Comes with the territory

Turnovers weren't on the pitch. 2 back to back turnovers on the FB dive inside the Colerain 30. Then after PC scored, Colerain fumbled the fair catch on the ensuing kickoff.....

Our pitchman had 244 yds on 9 carries. Pitch was working just fine

On 11/25/2017 at 12:34 AM, Coletrain06 said:

I think the 4 best teams in the state could be Pick Central, Colerain, Winton Woods, and Trotwood-Madison.

We'll see how Mentor does next week, but I would be very surprised if they beat Pick Central.

Definitely a year where it's tough to differentiate among the top tier of teams. Those could be the top four right now. Hoban is playing some great ball right now too. I still believe a healthy Ed's would be in Canton this weekend. On any given night, X, LaSalle, Ignatius, or Mentor could knock off any team in that group. Lot of good teams at the top in Ohio this year. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Definitely a year where it's tough to differentiate among the top tier of teams. Those could be the top four right now. Hoban is playing some great ball right now too. I still believe a healthy Ed's would be in Canton this weekend. On any given night, X, LaSalle, Ignatius, or Mentor could knock off any team in that group. Lot of good teams at the top in Ohio this year. 

Well Said...... turnovers, injuries, officiating, poor play selection (at least weather did not seem to be in the mix).  You also have to be LUCKY.... what works one week against a particular opponent, may not work next week.  Colerain had -0- turnovers against StX  and Won; 5 turnovers against Pick Central and lost.  

As stated above:

Turnovers KILL you,  injuries HURT you, poor officiating HURT you, poor play selection HURT you.... again -  Turnovers KILLLLLLLL.  As competitive as Ohio's D1 and D2 are, no team in the playoff can get away with several TO's and win.  

As for next year.... pre-season will have the Top 3 in Cincinnati as: Colerain, StX, Elder    (mark that down).

4 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Very true. I agree about healthy Eds.

Will probably do a post season rankings again this year, and it's really gonna be hard.......the Pick Central/Trotwood-Madison result is the hardest to get a read. Conventional wisdom says that undefeated T-M was better than PC and should be above them, but I'm just not sure.....

Hoban/Winton Woods will be incredible!

54 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Very true. I agree about healthy Eds.

Will probably do a post season rankings again this year, and it's really gonna be hard.......the Pick Central/Trotwood-Madison result is the hardest to get a read. Conventional wisdom says that undefeated T-M was better than PC and should be above them, but I'm just not sure.....

Hoban/Winton Woods will be incredible!

The winner of the Hoban/WW game should garner serious consideration for a number one Ohio ranking. I'm with you on the order of PC and T-M should they both win this weekend. T-M has the head-to-head back in week 3, but PC has by far the superior resume of wins. T-M's close wins over an average Wayne team and a good (but not great) TCC team are their next best two wins. 

It all comes down to are you ranking them based on resume or on where they finished the season.

To me, I don't care about what happened in week 3.  TM would have to blow the doors off their opponent this weekend to be considered in the same class as PC is RIGHT NOW.  My $0.02.  

And I also agree on Ed's.  Thought they had it all wrapped up but injuries can certainly derail a season.  That sucks.

-93CardinalsFan