Herm Edwards new ASU coach

aZjimbo

Just curious what your opinion on this is? I personally don't get it. He has not coached since 2009 (been at ESPN). Was never successful in the pros. Last coached college many years ago. ASU should be an attractive job but they never seem to be able to get over the hump to become a solid big time program. Huge university, great weather, tons of beautiful girls, more and more good players coming from Az. as the state grows, California and Texas close by for recruiting, improved facilities etc.................. 

54 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Just curious what your opinion on this is? I personally don't get it. He has not coached since 2009 (been at ESPN). Was never successful in the pros. Last coached college many years ago. ASU should be an attractive job but they never seem to be able to get over the hump to become a solid big time program. Huge university, great weather, tons of beautiful girls, more and more good players coming from Az. as the state grows, California and Texas close by for recruiting, improved facilities etc.................. 

ASU grad here, and the idea of the Sun Devils as a sleeping giant has 1) long lost it's usefulness; and 2) has very little root in anything tangible related to the program.  Historically you have to call back 40 years ago to reference ASU's greatest period of success, and that was an era where the Devils played in a second-tier conference and the Phoenix metro area had all of one professional sports franchise.  Fast-forward to now and it's a vastly different landscape-ASU plays in the same division as USC, is dependent upon recruits from areas where there is no shortage of programs of similar stature/visibility than what's present at ASU (and also a good share of programs that are clearly superior in numerous ways), misses out on the local talent on an annual basis as well, and has to share donor dollars with a host of professional franchises.  It's a program (and in some respects fan base) that refuses to come to terms (or is in denial) about those realities and how that skews the product on the field.

Todd Graham may not be the most ballyhooed coach in the land but it's hard to argue with much of what he achieved during his time here-ASU went from being the most penalized team in the nation under Dennis Erickson to annually being one of the least penalized teams, saw significant in-roads being made related to in-state recruiting, became the first ASU coach in the Pac 10/12 era to have multiple 10-win seasons, and is behind only Frank Kush and Bruce Snyder (both of which had significantly longer stays in Tempe than Graham) in wins at the school.  Short of grasping to an unrealistic expectation that ASU should be a national powerhouse based on massive enrollment and hot chicks (not intended as a shot at the original post, just commenting on one of the common lines cited for why the program should be more successful), Todd Graham's time at ASU was a success, yet a decision was made to blow-up that progress to go with a guy that has a losing record as a head coach and hasn't walked the sidelines in a decade.  

Those that run the athletic programs at ASU have tried for nearly two decades to elevate the football program with a series of stop-gap coaches and it has not worked.  I fail to see how this next attempt is going to turn out any differently.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Those that run the athletic programs at ASU have tried for nearly two decades to elevate the football program with a series of stop-gap coaches and it has not worked.  I fail to see how this next attempt is going to turn out any differently.

I agree. I think changing their school colors would be step in the right direction, though. Hot chicks, ugly unis.

3 hours ago, legendsofthefall said:

Herm coaches to win games. The preacher man is back. Coming from a Jets fan, good luck ASU, you're gonna need it!

PS Make sure you hire a clock management guy too.

Being a Jets fan been there, done that. DO not understand this hire.

3 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Right now TODAY .... Herm Edwards is NOT a better college football coach than Todd Graham. Coaching real games in the PAC 12 is a little different than being that fun substitute teacher for a week at HS Under Armour all star games. 

Can not disagree at all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

this a bad move....should have gone up and coming MAC coach or Merphis HC ...coordinator out west etc...or ....wish him luck as ASU rocks some awesome uni's.......

5 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

Personally I think this guy is full of crap. Fired from 2 different pro teams. A 42% winning %. Hasn't ever been a head coach in college. Last coached in college nearly 30 years ago.   

My response to the "you don't forget how to coach" quote is "when did you learn how to coach?".