week 15 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

18 hours ago, Pops said:

I knew you were a DLS guy — didn’t know the tenure — that’s impressive and seems like I ought to know you or of you (not too many were at all of those places)

are you one the spartanhood guys?  Outside of coaches, can’t imagine who went to UOP and Euless 16 years apart.  Got me curious.  

I was teasing a bit and obviously didn’t come across like that since Sammy also got bent out of joint (I assume you know Sammy is the Commisioner that I was complaining to)

I’ve been taking a shot at these tiers all year for reasons beyond DLS, which you may or may not know so I’ll excuse you the holier than thou “unlike you, I’m fair and impartial comment”.  I’ve probably got about 20 or 30 posts that say more or less the same thing you said — my only REAL issue with your positioning is I don’t think you have as good of a grasp of the competition when you suggest that DLS ought to drop if they don’t stay within 21 of MD.  Here’s my logic train:

— I think DLS is fairly ranked at 12th in the comp poll;  there is a very narrow band among all 5 comp polls (including CP which had DLS lower than humans until playoffs) — they are 11th to 15th in every poll.

— Sammy has 12 teams above DLS in his tiers, so he’s already out of line with conventional thinking to not have DLS in Tier3

– Sammy is clearly pandering to GA to gain acceptance of his “Tiers” — he’s not dumb and he knows where the clicks on this site come from.  North Gwinnett is Level 3, which you suggest DLS might attain by staying within 14 of the team SJB just lost to by 25.  North Gwinnett lost to Walton this year and, as you know, the only comparable team DLS lost to since 1991 is Clovis West in 2004 with their worst team since you became a fan in ‘89.  That team being already above DLS means to me that DLS is safe in Tier 4 even if they lose to MD in a similar fashion to the NJ state champ (Bergen Carholic who lost generously by 48 and also lost to Archbishop Wood).  CQ is in tier 4 and lost to Lowndes, Tift, and Brookwood.  SJC who DLS beat and is in tier 4 — their only other loss was to the team MD just beat by 25.  CC is in tier 4.  They were beaten by 28 by SJB the week before MD beat SJB by 25.  Where there are 13 if these teams in Tier 4 behind 12 teams in Tiers 1-3 and I think the only teams that can reasonably expect to stay within 21 if MD are IMG and SJB (which just failed to do so in 2nd attempt) — maybe I think more of MD than you?

this spartan team isn’t the ‘10-‘15 version or the ‘94 to ‘03 teams either or so I hear, but I think they’d stack up fine against the others despite the warts you mention, most of which I agree with

to summarize, I think they’ve fairly earned the rank they have in the comp (and all polls) of “mid-top 25” but that MD can name their score against whatever team(s) truly occupy those #10-15 slots.  Don’t you?

Pops, I admire your passion for the green and silver. You are like a European soccer fan when it comes to supporting his team. Yes, I have been a DLS fan for many years and have been fortunate enough to see many great games: breaking the the national record, the 100 straight game mark, both games against LBP and surviving against Bellermine, and seen some great players along the way like the Callen bros. DJ, the William bros. Simon, Landri, MJD, Bates, Kelly, Colvin, Wynn, Hooper, and Asiasi, etc. And yes been on the Spartanhood board for many years.

Contrary to what you may think about Sammy it's a little known fact that he goes to bed at night wearing his DLS Spartan pajamas. I think I have a pretty good grasp on the comp. DLS has had at least 4 weeks to prepare for MD. The last 2 weeks and ever since they rolled CV they knew that Pittsburg was not going to be much of a threat so they were also game planning for state. If everyone was healthy against Pittsburg that game would've been 42-7 instead of 24-7.

My first issue was with Gorman. They are 2-2 granted one loss is to MD but the other loss is to a team that has lost 4 games. Their quality win at home Dematha, has 5 losses. Credit to Gorman they proceed to blowout DLS after having played MD and Central the 2 previous weeks but with Gorman's pre-season resume I don't think they belong on the same level as an undefeated Allen, or SJB with DJ at the helm. And because of the blowout DLS does not belong on the same level as BG. I do agree about DLS 2004, that was a young team with little leadership and with all the srs. graduating the year before, Kelly being murdered, coach Lad. having a heart attack that was not a good year.

Moving on, I disagree. DLS is not safe at tier 4 if they get Bergened. Because then you start to wonder if their one quality win against St. Johns may have been a fluke. They need to fare much better than Bergen. A) Bergen had to travel cross country when they played MD, B) they played the week before. and C) Bergen was coming off a loss to Archbishop Wood. All those spelled a recipe for disaster for Bergen. So maybe Bergen does get kicked down to tier 5 after Sammy crunches all the #'s. But debating Bergen or Col's tier ranking is for another discussion. IMG would stay within 21 points of MD. IMG has the athletes on defense and have enough fire power on offense to keep this game close. Unfortunately DLS has the technique, conditioning and the heart, but it does not have the pure athletes on defense that can slow down a great passing attack and their one dimensional offense is going to hurt them against MD esp. if they get behind by several td's and the game clock forces them to pass which is out of their comfort zone. 

My final take, if DLS stays within 14 and the game is competitive they have improved to a top 10-12 team. They lose by 21 they are 15-20 team and they get Bergened they are just barely a top 25 team.     

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 1DayPGA said:

My final take, if DLS stays within 14 and the game is competitive they have improved to a top 10-12 team. They lose by 21 they are 15-20 team and they get Bergened they are just barely a top 25 team.     

I don’t disagree with much of anything

a couple of quibbles — 1). Is give them a bit more wiggle room against MD — they just beat SJB by 25, who just beat CC by 28 — I don’t think DLS ought time get bounced from top 25 if they lose by 28.....  and 2). I think you’re DLS evaluation is a little down because I think you’re a little harsh on BG — “losing to a 3-loss team” is not the full truth when all 3 losses are to a top 10 national team (not sure MC and not SJB isn’t the best 3-loss team in country).  BG is a top 10ish team to me.

do you use a different screen name for spartanhood and where do you play golf locally?

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

2009 connect the dots...  Manatee 28  STA 20,  Plant 14  Manatee 7,  Plant 20  Lakeland 0,   Lakeland 31  DLS  30

STA + 6 over DLS by my calculation Which is probably accurate for the time frame that DLS played lakeland

let me Add some more connected dots from 2009

DLS. 28. Monte Vista 21

DLS 44 Monte Vista 7

DLS improves by 30 points from early to late so would have lost to STA early but crushed them in playoffs

😇

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Come to FL or GA and DLS never knows the feeling of Top 25 because they are taking multiple losses every season.

Crenshaw, westlake, and Servite are “garbage” but in your very highly self-regarded opinion DLS takes multiple losses to Walton et al every year.

GA May have a few legit top 100 teams per year and occasionally a top 25 — DLS has only lost outside top 100 3x since i was in Hs in 1982

There has regrettably been too much in-breeding in GA to avoid the need to refute these sorts of non-sensical allegations  

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

STA + 6 over DLS by my calculation Which is probably accurate for the time frame that DLS played lakeland

DLS. 28. Monte Vista 21

DLS 44 Monte Vista 7

DLS improves by 30 points from early to late so would have lost to STA early but crushed them in playoffs

😇

Cooper City 21, STA 16

STA 27, Cooper City 10

STA improved by 22 points. So your later result is reversed.

Is that how it works?

1 minute ago, Guccifer said:

Cooper City 21, STA 16

STA 27, Cooper City 10

STA improved by 22 points. So your later result is reversed.

Is that how it works?

I was having fun with golf who I like

do you want to play?

btw, since Sta was +6, then DLS was +30, your 22 points leaves you a bit short 

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

GA May have a few legit top 100 teams per year and occasionally a top 25 — DLS has only lost outside top 100 3x since i was in Hs in 1982

calpreps has only been around since 2003.

#661 Clovis West

#175 Lakeland

#155 St. Thomas Aquinas

So what you're trying to tell us is that none of their losses from 1982-2002 were outside the top 100?

So Salesian, Miramonte, Skyline, Monte Vista, El Cerrito, St. Francis and Pittsburg were all top 100 teams?

On what authority?

19 minutes ago, Pops said:

DLS. 28. Monte Vista 21

DLS 44 Monte Vista 7

😇

:)   

Beat MD this week and DLS joins Cocoa 2012 as one of my favs of all time for the forum board.  

3 hours ago, Pops said:

I don’t disagree with much of anything

a couple of quibbles — 1). Is give them a bit more wiggle room against MD — they just beat SJB by 25, who just beat CC by 28 — I don’t think DLS ought time get bounced from top 25 if they lose by 28.....  and 2). I think you’re DLS evaluation is a little down because I think you’re a little harsh on BG — “losing to a 3-loss team” is not the full truth when all 3 losses are to a top 10 national team (not sure MC and not SJB isn’t the best 3-loss team in country).  BG is a top 10ish team to me.

do you use a different screen name for spartanhood and where do you play golf locally?

DLS has been prepping for state since before the Pitt. game whereas SJB had to play C.C. the week before MD. DLS will come prepared and focused lets hope they score on the opening drive and when scored upon no stupid throwback pass on the kickoff like last year. They s/b able to grind out some yards thus keeping the clock running and limiting MD's offense to get on the field . As for BG I do like them I think they are solid just not as good as the previous yrs. with Martell and company. On paper BG does not look impressive losing to a 4 loss team and beating a 5 loss Dematha team. You shouldn't count any of their reg. season wins. Blowing out DLS was impressive and if DLS can keep it close with MD it bodes well for BG. But basically BG's record is 2-2. Central losing to 3 top rated teams and to the same one twice just tells me that they are not in the same class as those teams. I applaud them for having a tough schedule. Big difference between them and Sammy's favorite team "The Devil" is how they schedule. I think BG is 10-12 even though their record doesn't show it. 

Yes, and I play all over. Wente, Poppyhills, Poppyridge, Lake Merced C.C. HMB, Cinnabar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1DayPGA said:

DLS has been prepping for state since before the Pitt. game whereas SJB had to play C.C. the week before MD. DLS will come prepared and focused lets hope they score on the opening drive and when scored upon no stupid throwback on the kickoff like last year. They s/b able to grind out some yards thus keeping the clock running and limiting MD's offense to get on the field . As for BG I do like them I think they are solid just not as good as the previous yrs. with Martell and company. On paper BG does not look impressive losing to a 4 loss team and beating a 5 loss Dematha team. You shouldn't count any of there reg. season wins. Blowing out DLS was impressive and if DLS can keep it close with MD it bodes well for BG. But basically BG's record is 2-2. Central losing to 3 top rated teams and to the same one twice just tells me that they are not in the same class as those teams. I applaud them for having a tough schedule. Big difference between them and Sammy's favorite team "The Devil" how they schedule. I think BG is 10-12 even though there record doesn't show it. 

Yes, and I play all over. Wente, Poppyhills, Poppyridge, Lake Merced, HMB, Cinnabar. 

MC only has 3 losses, not 4 and they are to CP #2, #10, and #10 — wouldn’t hold that loss against them too much anthe MD one hardly at all.  

Dematha May be biggest miss of preseason top 10 teams, but their schedule was top 10 so the losss

i was a member at Diablo and lived next door to clubhouse (but still a bogey golfer)

Losing 3 games even to top quality opponents is tough to keep them highly ranked when there are so many other teams that are undefeated or with 1 loss. Kinda like Curtis a few years back, undefeated with a soft schedule but doesn't mean that they would not have also beaten tougher comp. if they would've have the chance to play them.  

Living up in Diablo and being a member you have done well for yourself. :)

6 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

You just proved my point...

Colquitt also isnt gifted a spot in the top 15 every year no matter what they do. They play in one of the toughest Regions & especially playoff brackets in the country.

Their last 3 opponents were 34-2, and Colquitt beat them all on the road. And the 2 losses were to one of those 3 teams... They were all top 60 before Colquitt beat them, and for a GA team to get that high, even with the boost, at CP means they were damn good.

Their loss last year was by 3 points (after 3 missed FGs) to a Top 10 team... And Colquitt had 4 in-state losses.

They lost to Hoover in 2013 by 14 (a year later they beat Hoover by 21), and had 2 other instate losses.

In 2010... When they lost to the National Champions, South Panola, Colquitt was 5-5 in the regular season even losing to a GA 2A team the week before losing to SP... 

The whole point, is Colquitt has to actually PLAY good teams during the season. Where as DLS goes OOS, take their ass whipping, and goes back to CA and looks like a juggernaut... Because they play C-R-A-P. This has been established.

VM and IMG have exposed that Ga is the real crap. Colquitt your top team?  Please, enough with that Georgia nonsense !!

11 hours ago, Guccifer said:

The worst play of the game was when STA was up 20-13 with 5 minutes left.

STA ball at M30.

Max Lescano is given instructions, with the play call, not to throw to Tracy Howard's side under any circumstance. What does he do? Roll right and throw a jump ball that Tracy Howard picks in the end zone.

So instead of throwing it away and kicking an easy FG (for Nolan Bieck) to go up two scores, Miramar drives down and ties it at the end of regulation.

I blame the coaches for this, not the kid.   The QB evidently felt that he had (coaches) carte blanche to change the play, and/or try to make a play if he felt the opportunity presented itself.

The fact that STA coaches are blaming the kid is another reason why the STA coaching staff causes the team to regress as the season progresses.

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I blame the coaches for this, not the kid.   The QB evidently felt that he had (coaches) carte blanche to change the play, and/or try to make a play if he felt the opportunity presented itself.

The fact that STA coaches are blaming the kid is another reason why the STA coaching staff causes the team to regress as the season progresses.

Your attempts to sound knowledgeable on football are cute, sammy.

Ultimately pointless, but cute.