week 15 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

3 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

As much as I dislike IMG I think they are a tier 1 team. If they played MD this year it would be a close game. I think BG s/b tier 4 they are basically 2-2 this year with their quality wins both being at home over a 6-5 Dematha and against DLS who hasn't won an OOS road game since Lincoln was in office. Ergo DLS s/b tier 5 unless they stay within 21 against the Stache. And if they stay within 14 I'd move them up to tier 3. Also, not so sure about Bingham at tier 2 they could've used a better oos game to gauge them. If they fare well against SFA then I would think tier 2 is reasonable but for now they're on the same level as SJB, Allen etc. 

This is all just stupid

i knew the “like” was sammy’s Before checking 

Dear Commish, I would like an IP address check to see if this isn’t one of sammy’s Pseudo-names 

14 minutes ago, Pops said:

This is all just stupid

Dear Commish, I would like an IP address check to see if this isn’t one of sammy’s Pseudo-names 

Pops.  Newsflash...There will be no hocus pocus hyper improvement story for DLS this year.  The ending will be a stomping.  The days of DLS winning state are O.V.E.R.

#TheGameHasChanged

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pops said:

This is all just stupid

No address check needed Pops. I am real, and I am a DLS fan. Unlike you I try to be fair and impartial. I'm sure I attend more Spartan games than you and have been following them a lot longer than you. I was in the stands pulling for the Spartans against MD at UOP in 99 and was also at the 2001 game and was in the stands in TX pulling for them against Trinity. First saw the Spartans at Owen Owen's field back in 89. I'd love to see them upset MD this year but it just doesn't look like that is possible. With a less than avg. QB a less than avg. secondary and banged up RB tier 4 ranking. is almost a stretch. God knows that coach Lad., Eidson, and now Alumbaugh always has them prepared for the State game but this year they are out manned at almost every position. The Spartans biggest weakness pass coverage is going against the Monarch's biggest strength, passing. And this year Daniels has no problem running with the ball as well. If they stay within 20 points that like a moral victory. 

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

No address check needed Pops. I am real, and I am a DLS fan. Unlike you I try to be fair and impartial. I'm sure I attend more Spartan games than you and have been following them a lot longer than you. I was in the stands pulling for the Spartans against MD at UOP in 99 and was also at the 2001 game and was in the stands in TX pulling for them against Trinity. First saw the Spartans at Owen Owen's field back in 89. I'd love to see them upset MD this year but it just doesn't look like that is possible. With a less than avg. QB a less than avg. secondary and banged up RB tier 4 ranking. is almost a stretch. God knows that coach Lad., Eidson, and now Alumbaugh always has them prepared for the State game but this year they are out manned at almost every position. The Spartans biggest weakness pass coverage is going against the Monarch's biggest strength, passing. And this year Daniels has no problem running with the ball as well. If they stay within 20 points that like a moral victory. 

I knew you were a DLS guy — didn’t know the tenure — that’s impressive and seems like I ought to know you or of you (not too many were at all of those places)

are you one the spartanhood guys?  Outside of coaches, can’t imagine who went to UOP and Euless 16 years apart.  Got me curious.  

I was teasing a bit and obviously didn’t come across like that since Sammy also got bent out of joint (I assume you know Sammy is the Commisioner that I was complaining to)

I’ve been taking a shot at these tiers all year for reasons beyond DLS, which you may or may not know so I’ll excuse you the holier than thou “unlike you, I’m fair and impartial comment”.  I’ve probably got about 20 or 30 posts that say more or less the same thing you said — my only REAL issue with your positioning is I don’t think you have as good of a grasp of the competition when you suggest that DLS ought to drop if they don’t stay within 21 of MD.  Here’s my logic train:

— I think DLS is fairly ranked at 12th in the comp poll;  there is a very narrow band among all 5 comp polls (including CP which had DLS lower than humans until playoffs) — they are 11th to 15th in every poll.

— Sammy has 12 teams above DLS in his tiers, so he’s already out of line with conventional thinking to not have DLS in Tier3

– Sammy is clearly pandering to GA to gain acceptance of his “Tiers” — he’s not dumb and he knows where the clicks on this site come from.  North Gwinnett is Level 3, which you suggest DLS might attain by staying within 14 of the team SJB just lost to by 25.  North Gwinnett lost to Walton this year and, as you know, the only comparable team DLS lost to since 1991 is Clovis West in 2004 with their worst team since you became a fan in ‘89.  That team being already above DLS means to me that DLS is safe in Tier 4 even if they lose to MD in a similar fashion to the NJ state champ (Bergen Carholic who lost generously by 48 and also lost to Archbishop Wood).  CQ is in tier 4 and lost to Lowndes, Tift, and Brookwood.  SJC who DLS beat and is in tier 4 — their only other loss was to the team MD just beat by 25.  CC is in tier 4.  They were beaten by 28 by SJB the week before MD beat SJB by 25.  Where there are 13 if these teams in Tier 4 behind 12 teams in Tiers 1-3 and I think the only teams that can reasonably expect to stay within 21 if MD are IMG and SJB (which just failed to do so in 2nd attempt) — maybe I think more of MD than you?

this spartan team isn’t the ‘10-‘15 version or the ‘94 to ‘03 teams either or so I hear, but I think they’d stack up fine against the others despite the warts you mention, most of which I agree with

to summarize, I think they’ve fairly earned the rank they have in the comp (and all polls) of “mid-top 25” but that MD can name their score against whatever team(s) truly occupy those #10-15 slots.  Don’t you?

@Pops so basically you agree that DLS is appropriately slated in Tier 4.  Your issue would be if DLS was dropped to Tier 5 via a blowout loss to The Stache.

2017 DLS has some major issues, the first being their QB stinks, and the second being their secondary stinks.  I cannot think of another year where both of those areas stunk at the same time rolling into a SBG.  If DLS played Colquitts schedule, they could very easily have 3 losses at this point and be well into basketball season.

Never the less, we can not ever count out a team as well coached as DLS, with a Running game as potent as the Spartans traditionally have. 

The Stache has not played a true Veer attack since 2001 and DLS may be able to pop some long gainers early before MD adjusts and throws 8 guys into the box, aka Servite in 2015 and 2016.

PS.  I have never been contacted by the Commissioner for abusing board privilege's, but would not be surprised if he bought me a beer if we ended up in the same sports bar.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

@Pops so basically you agree that DLS is appropriately slated in Tier 4.  Your issue would be if DLS was dropped to Tier 5 via a blowout loss to The Stache.

2017 DLS has some major issues, the first being their QB stinks, and the second being their secondary stinks.  I cannot think of another year where both of those areas stunk at the same time rolling into a SBG.  If DLS played Colquitts schedule, they could very easily have 3 losses at this point and be well into basketball season.

Never the less, we can not ever count out a team as well coached as DLS, with a Running game as potent as the Spartans traditionally have. 

The Stache has not played a true Veer attack since 2001 and DLS may be able to pop some long gainers early before MD adjusts and throws 8 guys into the box, aka Servite in 2015 and 2016.

PS.  I have never been contacted by the Commissioner for abusing board privilege's, but would not be surprised if he bought me a beer if we ended up in the same sports bar.

Didn’t really want to debate it

dont disagree with much other than you suggesting DLS would lose to Lowndes, Tift, and Brookwood this year — since 1991, the worst teams DLS lost to:

— 8-4 Clovis West ‘04 

– 13-1 Lakeland (FL) ‘09 (was top 25 prior to losing in FL semis)

— STA ‘11 (beat the #1 team in the country the week prior)

are you suggesting with a straight face that DLS loses to 3 worse teams than any they’ve lost to in 26 years, all this year?

38 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

^^ Not so sure 2016 East could have beaten 2 of the 3 you listed above. I actually very much doubt it.

Interesting challenge

i think we’d both agree they’d likely beat 8-4 Clovis West and unlikely to beat STA and the only difference is I’d give them at least a coin flip v Lakeland.  Close?

i think if I clarified my statement to be consensus opinion as expressed in available rankings/ opinions, then my statement is more defensible to your particular challenge

make sense?

either way, doesn’t really change my point — you’re objecting to the veracity of my supporting data and I’d say at worst it’s a small distinction to the point 

13 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

As much as I dislike IMG I think they are a tier 1 team. If they played MD this year it would be a close game. I think BG s/b tier 4 they are basically 2-2 this year with their quality wins both being at home over a 6-5 Dematha and against DLS who hasn't won an OOS road game since Lincoln was in office. Ergo DLS s/b tier 5 unless they stay within 21 against the Stache. And if they stay within 14 I'd move them up to tier 3. Also, not so sure about Bingham at tier 2 they could've used a better oos game to gauge them. If they fare well against SFA then I would think tier 2 is reasonable but for now they're on the same level as SJB, Allen etc. 

I agree that DLS should be at least one tier below BG.

But keep in mind that MD beat BG only by 14 points. So unless MD got a lot better or BG got a lot worse, MD isn't three tiers above BG, but only two. 

I also think that Central belongs on the same tier as BG.

Is MD about 30 points better than Central? I doubt it.

If not, then Central (and BG) should be tier 3.

But of course DLS lost by about 30 to BG. So they still might belong to tier 5 even if BG belongs to tier 3. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pops said:

you’re objecting to the veracity of my supporting data and I’d say at worst it’s a small distinction to the point 

I just think that a list of 'worst' teams DLS lost to should have East before STA or Lakeland. That's all. And yes, we agree that East was better than that Clovis West team.

55 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I just think that a list of 'worst' teams DLS lost to should have East before STA or Lakeland. That's all. And yes, we agree that East was better than that Clovis West team.

I don’t disagree from a betting perspective but east was clearly ranked higher and for valid reasons — sta imploded a bitblater and lost three games to inferior teams and Lakeland didn’t play anyone else of note until plant in post season who beat them 14-0.  If rankings reflect records and not performance, I’ll stick with what I said but I get your point and don’t disagree with the evaluation 

either way it’s a thin list for 26 years to suggest there’s be 3 worse this year in GA

10 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The odds are stacked on paper against this Spartan team for this game, no doubt. But, this has become, once again, a really really tough team come this time of year. Bragging that a hand picked recruited  all star team should beat  a rebuilding Spartan team  doesn't require much insight or degree of knowledge  about football.  There are maybe 3 or 4 teams in entire country that could possibly be considered to have a legitimate shot at winning against MD this season ( Overall a down year across country in my opinion ). Yes, the qb's for Dela stink. The secondary is lower  tier, for sure. With that said, Spartans should make it a competitive game, at least in part. They shouldn't be maligned for not having the all stars this time around, but we have seen this rebuild before,2004- 2007.  But I guess the hurt runs so deep for all the times Spartans have won in sbg' s, that  I guess it is your time to crow. I will enjoy the Spartans bringing it in game, and showing people what Spartan football is about. I think they have a chance to surprise people and show that they are a team to reckon with, even with a loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pops said:

Didn’t really want to debate it

dont disagree with much other than you suggesting DLS would lose to Lowndes, Tift, and Brookwood this year — since 1991, the worst teams DLS lost to:

— 8-4 Clovis West ‘04 

– 13-1 Lakeland (FL) ‘09 (was top 25 prior to losing in FL semis)

— STA ‘11 (beat the #1 team in the country the week prior)

are you suggesting with a straight face that DLS loses to 3 worse teams than any they’ve lost to in 26 years, all this year?

Youd also have to beat Walton, Archer, & Brookwood again... Of which youve never played that many good teams in a row.

Remember those teams were all rated much higher too before losing to Colquitt.

None of Lakeland, Clovis West (lol), nor STA were as good as any of Lowndes, Tift, Brookwood(x2), Walton, & Archer ... Now North Gwinnett... And youd be playing in a state where the run is actually defended.

Youre also using CalPreps. Coming to GA is a different ball game entirely than what youre use to.

Its not a coincidence you lose OOS.

Switch schedules with Colquitt over the last 10 years and Colquitt wins 7 MNCs... Being referred to now only as "GOAT". Unfortunately we cant all play SRVs every week.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Lowndes has rushed for over 300 yards against Colquitt two years in a row now.

Is it just Colquitt that doesn't defend the run?

To be honest...even since Lowndes made the move to a hybrid spread offense...they're a running team.  They're a former Wing T operation who can frigging run the ball.  Their all-everything QB...Mr. Barrett....just added to their capabilities.  BUT...when they found a REAL good deep threat at WR....you couldn't stack the deck against the run.  As I've said before a few times....

Lowndes would stomp a mudhole in most teams.

A MUDHOLE !!!!!

Rufus>>

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Colquitt is 1-3 against top-100 rated OOS teams.

Coincidence? 

You just proved my point...

Colquitt also isnt gifted a spot in the top 15 every year no matter what they do. They play in one of the toughest Regions & especially playoff brackets in the country.

Their last 3 opponents were 34-2, and Colquitt beat them all on the road. And the 2 losses were to one of those 3 teams... They were all top 60 before Colquitt beat them, and for a GA team to get that high, even with the boost, at CP means they were damn good.

Their loss last year was by 3 points (after 3 missed FGs) to a Top 10 team... And Colquitt had 4 in-state losses.

They lost to Hoover in 2013 by 14 (a year later they beat Hoover by 21), and had 2 other instate losses.

In 2010... When they lost to the National Champions, South Panola, Colquitt was 5-5 in the regular season even losing to a GA 2A team the week before losing to SP... 

The whole point, is Colquitt has to actually PLAY good teams during the season. Where as DLS goes OOS, take their ass whipping, and goes back to CA and looks like a juggernaut... Because they play C-R-A-P. This has been established.