YouTube, Facebook and Google

noonereal

YouTube, Facebook and Google are being dragged through the mud for not policing what appears on their feeds. They are spreading "Fake News."

What am I missing here? 

How do we go after these companies, who don't even write the "fake news" themselves when our PRESIDENT creates fake news all day long?

It's just mind blowing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, noonereal said:

YouTube, Facebook and Google are being dragged through the mud for not policing what appears on their feeds. They are spreading "Fake News."

What am I missing here? 

How do we go after these companies, who don't even write the "fake news" themselves when our PRESIDENT creates fake news all day long?

It's just mind blowing.  

I NEVER spread Fake News.  I only spread The Gospel.

(Smile)

Rufus>>

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noonereal said:

What am I missing here? 

It's just mind blowing.  

I know this isn't what you are fishing for, but, since this subject has been on my mind of late...

This is the thing. These platforms are being used to proliferate some of the fakest and shittiest stuff ever typed out by one human being about another. There is really absolutely no way to police that by these huge companies. Their best tool is a report feature where an offended user reports some content for their review. 

I've been at sites where if a user reports content, it is automatically hidden from the view of others until it is reviewed and either reinstated or permanently removed from the platform. Of course, then the problem lies in there has to eventually be a judgement call by some person as to whether to allow or disallow the material at that point. I like the idea of the content being hidden by the system until it's reviewed as it's tough to cover the entire platform all the time without a lot of people working to do so.  Of course, I witnessed misuse of those systems as well, but after a few misuses that can be solved with the user that is misusing the report feature.

I think after really pondering over trying to fact check or disallowing flagrantly lying and/or slanderous material, the best thing to do is just let pigs wallow in their own shit if they want. If someone wants to risk slandering or violating libel laws or whatever so that they can bask in the glory of wallowing in the ignorance and shit, then have at it. No sense in a website trying to protect someone from their own ignorance anyway. Unless someone is reporting the crap as offensive, the website probably doesn't "have to" do anything if it's not otherwise violating their guidelines or terms of service. 

In south Georgia, we've seen first hand that the cops will come and get you for lying, slandering and threatening others using message boards and other similar platforms as a user on the old Georgia boards got locked up for just that. All it takes is that one person to report the mess to the proper authorities and the cops show up with shovels to clean up the shit that one may wallow in and the wallower is probably taken out with the shit as well. 

10 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Fake news = slanted towards agenda.

Is it possible to just report the news free of bias and agenda.

Asking for a friend, who I barely like.

I'm afraid not. It's up to you as the receiver of the news to cut through the bullshit opinion and get the brass tacks out of the story. 

Every human being is going to read a report and either shake their head, smile or show some type of emotion depending on what they are reading and how they are receiving the story themselves. There is no way around that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I know this isn't what you are fishing for, but, since this subject has been on my mind of late...

This is the thing. These platforms are being used to proliferate some of the fakest and shittiest stuff ever typed out by one human being about another. There is really absolutely no way to police that by these huge companies. Their best tool is a report feature where an offended user reports some content for their review. 

I've been at sites where if a user reports content, it is automatically hidden from the view of others until it is reviewed and either reinstated or permanently removed from the platform. Of course, then the problem lies in there has to eventually be a judgement call by some person as to whether to allow or disallow the material at that point. I like the idea of the content being hidden by the system until it's reviewed as it's tough to cover the entire platform all the time without a lot of people working to do so.  Of course, I witnessed misuse of those systems as well, but after a few misuses that can be solved with the user that is misusing the report feature.

I think after really pondering over trying to fact check or disallowing flagrantly lying and/or slanderous material, the best thing to do is just let pigs wallow in their own shit if they want. If someone wants to risk slandering or violating libel laws or whatever so that they can bask in the glory of wallowing in the ignorance and shit, then have at it. No sense in a website trying to protect someone from their own ignorance anyway. Unless someone is reporting the crap as offensive, the website probably doesn't "have to" do anything if it's not otherwise violating their guidelines or terms of service. 

In south Georgia, we've seen first hand that the cops will come and get you for lying, slandering and threatening others using message boards and other similar platforms as a user on the old Georgia boards got locked up for just that. All it takes is that one person to report the mess to the proper authorities and the cops show up with shovels to clean up the shit that one may wallow in and the wallower is probably taken out with the shit as well. 

Please give us the story on the guy who got locked up. Asking for a friend who barely likes me.

Just now, AztecPadre said:

Please give us the story on the guy who got locked up. Asking for a friend who barely likes me.

He was arrested for aggravated stalking, but, the message board mess was what led to the authorities going after him.

I think we covered it on here already in the past. Locked up is a pretty far stretch for the type of stuff we have seen on here, but lawsuits for libel are probably not out of the question on some things that I've seen here. 

Aggravated stalking charge includes 'quite vulgar' website posts

THOMASVILLE — A case that began with a restraining order issued by a Superior Court judge in a marital situation eventually involved into derogatory website posts about local school officials.

The suspect, James Hunter Poole, 26, 1017 Lake Circle, is charged with aggravated stalking.

Poole was posting derogatory remarks about local school officials and their families on a statewide sports website, said Sgt. Pascal Autrey, Thomas County Sheriff's Office investigator.

Poole and his wife are legally separated in conjunction with the restraining order, said Tim Watkins, sheriff's office chief investigator. Website posts about people associated with the estranged wife are in violation of the restraining order.

"As part of that, he's not to have any contact with her, whatsoever," Watkins said. 

Autrey said some of the posts were accusatory of sexual preferences, and some were "quite vulgar in nature."

"He was doing it because she works at a local school system," Watkins said.

Posts were explicit, Autrey said.

"He was being Donald Trump on steroids, except it wasn't Twitter," said Watkins.

Poole was denied bond and remains in the Thomas County Jail.

In reference to bond denial, Watkins said, "You've demonstrated you cannot follow the rules."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

He was arrested for aggravated stalking, but, the message board mess was what led to the authorities going after him.

I think we covered it on here already in the past. Locked up is a pretty far stretch for the type of stuff we have seen on here, but lawsuits for libel are probably not out of the question on some things that I've seen here. 

THOMASVILLE — A case that began with a restraining order issued by a Superior Court judge in a marital situation eventually involved into derogatory website posts about local school officials.

The suspect, James Hunter Poole, 26, 1017 Lake Circle, is charged with aggravated stalking.

Poole was posting derogatory remarks about local school officials and their families on a statewide sports website, said Sgt. Pascal Autrey, Thomas County Sheriff's Office investigator.

Poole and his wife are legally separated in conjunction with the restraining order, said Tim Watkins, sheriff's office chief investigator. Website posts about people associated with the estranged wife are in violation of the restraining order.

"As part of that, he's not to have any contact with her, whatsoever," Watkins said. 

Autrey said some of the posts were accusatory of sexual preferences, and some were "quite vulgar in nature."

"He was doing it because she works at a local school system," Watkins said.

Posts were explicit, Autrey said.

"He was being Donald Trump on steroids, except it wasn't Twitter," said Watkins.

Poole was denied bond and remains in the Thomas County Jail.

In reference to bond denial, Watkins said, "You've demonstrated you cannot follow the rules."

Wild stuff, he was on GAVS

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm afraid not. It's up to you as the receiver of the news to cut through the bullshit opinion and get the brass tacks out of the story. 

Every human being is going to read a report and either shake their head, smile or show some type of emotion depending on what they are reading and how they are receiving the story themselves. There is no way around that. 

Yup, basically a whole hobby sifting through it all.