China fires back, announcing tariffs on US planes, cars and soybeans

RedZone

32 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

@DarterBlue 600 point swing

If you recall this morning you said you could not see it going up today. I said, essentially, I was not sure as the bulls and bears were in a big struggle for ascendancy.  Well, as of now, the bulls are the clear winner and the major indices have all held support. 

I am going to do my homework and determine whether I close all my positions tomorrow. While I am not convinced that this downward trend is over, I think the market will continue to rally off the support over the coming days. It may make sense to go to cash and see how this plays out.

Just now, DarterBlue said:

If you recall this morning you said you could not see it going up today. I said, essentially, I was not sure as the bulls and bears were in a big struggle for ascendancy.  Well, as of now, the bulls are the clear winner and the major indices have all held support. 

I am going to do my homework and determine whether I close all my positions tomorrow. While I am not convinced that this downward trend is over, I think the market will continue to rally off the support over the coming days. It may make sense to go to cash and see how this plays out.

yes I didnt think the Dow was going to come back from -400+. I was wrong and the bulls dance on. 

13 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

yes I didnt think the Dow was going to come back from -400+. I was wrong and the bulls dance on. 

Day traders compute a statistic called the average daily range of the index or stock they are trading. It is a moving average of the sum of past opens minus past closes (sum of open minus closes divided by the number of days). The do so because they need to know what represents a safe entrance and exit during the day. In smooth sailing bull markets, a 20 day moving average is the standard. However, in volatile markets that seem at an inflection point, you generally use a shorter period, say 10 days. If you did one of these for the DOW, it would have been pretty clear that closing positive was a very possible outcome. 

I am impressed, but not surprised that the market was able to rally so strongly assuming it holds or adds to its gains into the close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

it depends on what part of investing your in. If your looking to retire soon yea your watching whats happening closely and doing the research like you said. If your a young investor who has 30 years to go than today means very little. 

Does this mean you are going to invest in the stock market? Or just post about it?

Alls I'm sayin' is that a few short months ago, a few wild Trumpers on here were all, 30k DOW here we come. 

I could picture them dancing a little jig while posting that mess. 

Today... same dudes are sat in a corner indian style sucking a sour apple ring pop. 

That's alls I'm sayin'. 

xD

• Haha 1

No market goes up forever.  It ran up hard and a correction often follows that.  We are down about 10% - a typical correction.  Economic fundamentals are very good.  And heck, the WSJ ran an editorial today saying no one has challenged China like this before.  Polls are showing increasing optimism in the country - face it, people are not paying attention to the daily BS.

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Alls I'm sayin' is that a few short months ago, a few wild Trumpers on here were all, 30k DOW here we come. 

if not for his mouth I would not have doubted it

He induced wild euphoria on wall street with his promises than delivery of free lunches.  

Just now, Bormio said:

How do you know - I think the market was looking to correct and seized on the tariff as a reason to do so.

because you want to believe that

I am not "invested" in Trump as are you so I may well have a clearer vantage point. (I also don't speak of murder to fellow posters, so we are different in several ways)

Better it corrects now, less ways to fall than had it hit 30,000.

I think it worked out for the best. 

55 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Impressed

What on earth is impressive? The ridiculous of it? 

Then we agree.

I too am impressed. 

Noon, the hardest lesson to learn from the markets is that they don't always react to the news the way one would expect. I am impressed with the fact that the market was able to turnaround from a near 2% to above 2% declines in the major indices and reverse to close significantly higher. Failure to heed this kind of behavior leads to large losses. When you are a trader, your primary job is to pay attention to the technical condition of the market. Does that mean you totally ignore the fundamental backdrop? No, but it is secondary and subservient to the technical conditions of the market.

On Monday, the NYSE and S&P 500 both violated major support. The other indices bounced off or closed at support. On Tuesday, all the averages closed up and regained a position of at least about a percent above major support. Well this morning we again violated the support at the open but immediately reversed higher, to end up more than 2% above the support levels. The only thing missing from today's action was volume. But at the end of the day, price spoke loud and clear, and that needs to be heeded. 

I will post an update on my short positions and the overall market this evening as I may liquidate them tomorrow. 

30 minutes ago, noonereal said:

which would not have yet occurred without Agent Orange creating doubts and chaos 

Not true. Agent Orange has been baying at the moon his whole Presidency. The market has finally started to react to the baying. But nothing has really changed. 

In the short run, don't pay or let the news of the day sway you where the market is concerned. Just observe the market's response. This is a lesson few ever learn. Most of us always need a story ... just saying. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Noon, the hardest lesson to learn from the markets is that they don't always react to the news the way one would expect.

ROTFLMAO! ya think?

lol

You want to intellectualize a "game" where heavy betters have say on odds. 

Go ahead, enjoy. 

I know the true odds of my bets. 

220px-Craps.jpg