STA-DeMatha

golfaddict1

22 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

All I know is that SFA was speaking with STA and IMG. I'll have to check as they were scheduling those games on their own. Stay tuned. 

Is SFA the new Beast of the East? Will they be a dominant program for 5-10 years? I do miss the preseason write ups that DJ had on schools. 

Bosco is down. STA is also trending down even with a boatload of FBS prospects. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Is SFA the new Beast of the East? Will they be a dominant program for 5-10 years? I do miss the preseason write ups that DJ had on schools. 

Bosco is down. STA is also trending down even with a boatload of FBS prospects. 

SFA is loaded. They should start #1 in the east. SJC is a very close #2. DeMatha #3. I don’t see anyone on the east coast(not the south) that have a case to be ahead of those three knowing what type of talent they have coming in. All three programs have multiple 4* transfers coming in. Luckily they all play each other in 2018 with SJC vs SFA the obvious exception. 

30 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

SFA is loaded. They should start #1 in the east. SJC is a very close #2. DeMatha #3. I don’t see anyone on the east coast(not the south) that have a case to be ahead of those three knowing what type of talent they have coming in. All three programs have multiple 4* transfers coming in. Luckily they all play each other in 2018 with SJC vs SFA the obvious exception. 

Who do you think, Najarian or the youngster transfer Cammas at the helm for DeMatha vs. STA?   

As for STA, it will either be Casteel (who struggled last year) or MI Brother Rice transfer QB Mariano Valenti.   Spring ball will be interesting.  Valenti certainly adds more physicality and dual threat options for STA and he likely memorized the playbook of last year on the flight from Michigan to FL, with audibles... before the flight attendant served a snack and a beverage.  

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6172917/59cd888e47976435142ad4ed    (Valenti)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Great article on SFA after concluding the 2017 season. 

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/st-frances-academy-football-baltimore/

Baltimore High School Football Team With No Field Caps Off Undefeated Season

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– They don’t even have a home football field and their school is located in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Baltimore. Yet this year their football team went undefeated en route to two championships.

On East Chase Street, in the shadows of the state penitentiary and vacant row homes is St. Frances Academy.”

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Who do you think, Najarian or the youngster transfer Cammas at the helm for DeMatha vs. STA?   

As for STA, it will either be Casteel (who struggled last year) or MI Brother Rice transfer QB Mariano Valenti.   Spring ball will be interesting.  Valenti certainly adds more physicality and dual threat options for STA and he likely memorized the playbook of last year on the flight from Michigan to FL, with audibles... before the flight attendant served a snack and a beverage.  

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6172917/59cd888e47976435142ad4ed    (Valenti)

Wow. You know your stuff. For DeMatha, I think the plan is for Cammas to take over. He’s had hype since the youth leagues. When that is, I have no clue. Najarian played a bunch last year and has size at 6’4 210. I’d be fine with Najarian starting. He showed flashes last season with a broken offense. DM will be pretty big at WR this year with two 4* WR’s in DeMarcco Hellams and Curtis Jacobs. They also have the 4* RB Marshawn Lloyd. Whatever QB gets the nod, won’t have a problem with skill around him.

This is where the no spring football thing really hurts teams up here. There will be a learning curve for Cammas as a transfer, so anything would help. 

If DM vs STA gets played week 1, the QB position for both squads is going to be critical. I may make my way down for the game. I missed the DM vs AHP game a few years ago down there and regret it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

BALTIMORE (WJZ)– They don’t even have a home football field and their school is located in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Baltimore. Yet this year their football team went undefeated en route to two championships.

On East Chase Street, in the shadows of the state penitentiary and vacant row homes is St. Frances Academy.”

They put an absolute beatdown on bingham. 

18 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Yes, the football team has revitalized that school in a way. Still, most of those players don’t come from the area. The QB signed with Florida is from Richmond VA. It’s a hot topic locally. I don’t like to get into the politics of it though. On the field, the team is about as legit as it gets.....

On 4/16/2018 at 1:57 PM, Las Vegas_JC said:

DeMatha played Gorman very well in 2017. As I understand it the Stags had an injury plagued roster which was decimated weekly. 

Yeah they started strong, but the BG QB and WRs had a great game after the first couple quarters.   Once the Dematha RB went down their offense hit the wall.   They were grinding BG on the ground in the first half though.   

On 4/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, golfaddict1 said:

I'm hoping the reason STA's schedule isn't listed yet is due to a road OOS game being worked out and/or a good local OOD matchup.  Supposedly Cardinal Gibbons has an open week (no clue which) left.   Are they are on your PGL Xmas Cards list?   If so, maybe you can find out which week and see what's out there for them (preferably a quality local team and STA would be nice).  

A little update on the SFA vs STA situation. I guess they were supposed to play week #1, but something fell through financially. Enter DeMatha. The game week #1 is now DM vs. STA. I have no clue if SFA is trying to play STA in another week this season. It would make sense that they are though. It’s been frustrating watching all the schedules release and programs like Aquinas, St. Frances, and DeMatha without a peep. I’m guessing the reason for the late release has been figuring this week #1 game out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

A little update on the SFA vs STA situation. I guess they were supposed to play week #1, but something fell through financially. Enter DeMatha. The game week #1 is now DM vs. STA. I have no clue if SFA is trying to play STA in another week this season. It would make sense that they are though. It’s been frustrating watching all the schedules release and programs like Aquinas, St. Frances, and DeMatha without a peep. I’m guessing the reason for the late release has been figuring this week #1 game out. 

Thx for info.  Strange to hear a financial issue with those two schools.  

SFA likely preseason top 5, so that’s the only bummer in my view, nothing against DeMatha.  STA doesn’t have that many quality games annually, so a top 5 gig would have been ideal.  

Maybe we’ll be nicely surprised, who knows.  I’m hoping for another OOS and/or OOD of quality added to the STA schedule and I’m sure SFA will have a stout schedule.  

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Thx for info.  Strange to hear a financial issue with those two schools.  

SFA likely preseason top 5, so that’s the only bummer in my view, nothing against DeMatha.  STA doesn’t have that many quality games annually, so a top 5 gig would have been ideal.  

Maybe we’ll be nicely surprised, who knows.  I’m hoping for another OOS and/or OOD of quality added to the STA schedule and I’m sure SFA will have a stout schedule.  

No offense taken, I get it. I think you’ll be happy with how DeMatha looks next season, but SFA will have a much larger target on their chest in the top 5. Right now, I’d have DM around Top 50-75 to start things off. 

Just now, Mjd33 said:

Haha I know that ... 

just saying SFA is loaded. 

It’s Not often STA enters a fight with the smaller gun. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=2537

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=2537

Smaller gun?  When has St. Frances ever been more talented than STA?   Now whether they're better is another thing entirely. 

17 minutes ago, 954gator said:

SFA is only as talented or more since poggi got there.... 

my point was if SFA played STA that’s probably one of very few times the raiders were at a talent deficit. 

How often has STA played somebody who had more D1 guys? 

38 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

SFA is only as talented or more since poggi got there.... 

my point was if SFA played STA that’s probably one of very few times the raiders were at a talent deficit. 

How often has STA played somebody who had more D1 guys? 

Probably never, but I don't think that says much.   Who's had more d1 players than STA besides maybe IMG?    Not really anyone.     Again, doesn't mean there weren't teams that would beat them. 

Happy to report (no offense or defense in this case lol to the recruit) that STA has lost a senior football season only transfer.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Lafrance-46038911   (no clue how many schools attended, but he transferred to STA in January and is now at Deerfield Beach in spring ball).  

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=False&Recruitment.Enabled=True&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=1414&RecruitInterests.Offered=True   (18 current '19 class recruits excluding LaFrance with fbs offer) 

Like with the Grayson '19 class, a good number of these recruits we've been following for years and starting to verbal and should be a good senior season for these recruits and for both schools.   Too bad these schools didn't hook up in recent years.