Best football state THIS year?

Big Bald Hairy Man

On 4/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, Omaha Vol said:

I think with CA it simply boils down to sheer numbers. Having a population of 40 million makes it a lot easier to field more good teams than all the other states. I’m not saying GA doesn’t have good football (being the 4th best state is still pretty damn respectable). Even the players that don’t make the cut for the Trinity League are still good athletes and go play on decent teams. 

NY is the only exception to the population rule. It’s still a head scratcher to me that they don’t have any powerhouse teams. I can only guess that it’s because they focus more on basketball than football. I could almost say the same for Illinois. 

Can't speak to much about NY. Maybe Adam K can elaborate relative to that area but as far as Illinois goes... they for he most part have had to adhere to a very restrictive "off season" set of regulations. Their OOS history has been dominated by early season games which has been a significant disadvantage for them. That will not change, at least in the near term until more and more states adopt the same or similar off season protocols which is now starting to happen. Here in Ca it is starting to gravitate in that direction with the more limited contact rules instituted a few years ago. Texas is also starting to do the same. 

When IL teams schedule OOS mid season or later like they started to do last year, they show to be very competitive. On any given year they, IMO, have quite a few programs that by season's end, belong in the top 100. If Chicago did not rape their public school system as much as they do ( addressed in an earlier post )... with the insane amount of talent in the area, they would be an elite state among the best.