Another Day at School in 21st Century America

DarterBlue

Just now, HSFBfan said:

It's been happening for the last 60+ years when the guy shot up university of texas. You had the federal government killing students at Kent state. It happens. Yea st some point this stuff shouldn't surprise you. Just like a car accident that ends in death doesnt surprise us. 

So remove all the resource officers and police at schools? Might as well stop spending the money right?

Maybe a big sign for @concha that says, "Come right on in and shoot!"?

Just now, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

So remove all the resource officers and police at schools? Might as well stop spending the money right?

Maybe a big sign for @concha that says, "Come right on in and shoot!"?

You could go that route. My school district and other are spending money to put more security and more SRO....will it matter. It may lower the number of hurt or dead but it wont stop shootings all together. You wanna stop shooting give all students laptops tell them stay home and you'll learn over a webcam and will keep all students apart. 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

You could go that route. My school district and other are spending money to put more security and more SRO....will it matter. It may lower the number of hurt or dead but it wont stop shootings all together. You wanna stop shooting give all students laptops tell them stay home and you'll learn over a webcam and will keep all students apart. 

So should the parents of these 17-19 year old white kids be held accountable? Would that help?

I don't see Asians, Hispanics, or Indians, shooting up schools.

So should the parents of these 17-19 year old white kids be held accountable? Would that help?

I don't see Asians, Hispanics, or Indians, shooting up schools.

The parents can be held civilly responsible ina court of law. That's up to the victims families to sue the family of the shooter. It could help but I'm not sure how much. This goes back to the car scenario. You can sue the parents of a driver who goes out and kills someone if they are on their parents insurance and yet everyday keys are handed over to their kids to drive. 

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

My question is why only in this country does it happen so much. Especially in the last couple years?

Because we aren’t raising our kids properly is my thoughts. Think about it, did  you ever think about shooting up the school when you were in hs? Kids who do this shit obviously have some type of mental issue, wasn’t taught right from wrong and or how to deal with shit. Maybe we should start keeping score in little league again and have winners and losers, not giving trophies out to last place teams. 

Having both parents working, having single family parents ( parent always working ) and not having the person at home to lead and guide kids into normal people that can function normally. 

Throw in violent video games and kids who can’t handle adversity and you get shit like this happening. 

Social media is a big part of problem also, bullying is easier. Peer pressure is much more prevalent in today’s youth society, etc 

Dunno if there’s a specific reason this is happening but those all may play into it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, concha said:

It's not just the last couple of years.

I'd point to a long trend involving a soup of the following:

• secularization and the degradation of moral values that accompanies it
  • the breakdown of the family unit
  • influence of mass media and social networking. interpersonal relationships are less important.
  • a steady diet of violence on our news, tv and video gaming making certain people de-sensitized
  • apparently potential issues with the drugs used to treat many mental health issues
  • at least in the Parkland case, if not others, failure of our law and mental health institutions

Responded before i read this but basically said same thing. I think this is spot on. 

Just now, NorCalRuss said:

Because we aren’t raising our kids properly is my thoughts. Think about it, did  you ever think about shooting up the school when you were in hs? Kids who do this shit obviously have some type of mental issue, wasn’t taught right from wrong and or how to deal with shit. Maybe we should start keeping score in little league again and have winners and losers, not giving trophies out to last place teams. 

Having both parents working, having single family parents ( parent always working ) and not having the person at home to lead and guide kids into normal people that can function normally. 

Throw in violent video games and kids who can’t handle adversity and you get shit like this happening. 

Social media is a big part of problem also, bullying is easier. Peer pressure is much more prevalent in today’s youth society, etc 

Dunno if there’s a specific reason this is happening but those all may play into it. 

Kids today dont know how to deal with anything because nobody will let them deal with anything. Take the bull situation. Kids have no idea how to deal with a so called bully. They go crying to teacher and mommy and daddy instead of fighting the kid. Mommy and daddy wont let the kids live. These kids can't even play without mommy and daddy saying it's ok. 

Again with the video game argument that doesnt work. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Kids today dont know how to deal with anything because nobody will let them deal with anything. Take the bull situation. Kids have no idea how to deal with a so called bully. They go crying to teacher and mommy and daddy instead of fighting the kid. Mommy and daddy wont let the kids live. These kids can't even play without mommy and daddy saying it's ok. 

Again with the video game argument that doesnt work. 

This video game very well may be a trigger for weak minded kids or those that haven’t “mental” issues. 

Me, you and millions or others played violent video games since We were kids and no harm done but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect someone else on the verge of going crazy and committing these acts. 

2 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

This video game very well may be a trigger for weak minded kids or those that haven’t “mental” issues. 

Me, you and millions or others played violent video games since We were kids and no harm done but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect someone else on the verge of going crazy and committing these acts. 

But again the actual video game is doing nothing. Just like a gun with nobody behind it does nothing.

Now I can get behind your comment of both parents have to work so there is less guidance in the country. That is absolutely valid 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Every group has their problems....remember an Asian kid shot up VT not too long ago. 

That was an anomaly. Almost all these shooters are 16-19 year old white males, from an upper middle class background.

Why don't we focus on this group?

This wouldn't even involve talking about guns which the far right would love. Go after the source right?

1 minute ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

That was an anomaly. Almost all these shooters are 16-19 year old white males, from an upper middle class background.

Why don't we focus on this group?

This wouldn't even involve talking about guns which the far right would love. Go after the source right?

But it happened. So even asians can commit this crime. Why dont we worry about ourselves and not jump into everything. Idk. There is nothing to talk about when it comes to guns. We have a right and millions of us will stand up to defend that right. 

Go look up the percentage of crime a school shooting consist of...I would say it's less than 10%

Just now, HSFBfan said:

But it happened. So even asians can commit this crime. Why dont we worry about ourselves and not jump into everything. Idk. There is nothing to talk about when it comes to guns. We have a right and millions of us will stand up to defend that right. 

Anyone can commit these crimes.

But not just anybody is doing it. There is a pattern.

Address the pattern. Fix the problem.

1 minute ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Anyone can commit these crimes.

But not just anybody is doing it. There is a pattern.

Address the pattern. Fix the problem.

Whatever you say man....this seems to bug you and other people alot more than myself. I'm tired of talking about it and debating it. Like I said an hour ago accept that crimes happen people get hurt or die everyday. It's the society that has been around forever. We are allowed to own guns and that is not going away anytime soon

7 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Fair assessment.

But these shooters are generally of the same age and demographic background. Shouldn't we hone in on THOSE parents?

Im assuming that’s because majority of people are of same demographic backgrounds? 

We should hone into all kids that are troubled. Bullets don’t see color! 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Whatever you say man....this seems to bug you and other people alot more than myself. I'm tired of talking about it and debating it. Like I said an hour ago accept that crimes happen people get hurt or die everyday. It's the society that has been around forever. We are allowed to own guns and that is not going away anytime soon

Nobody mentioned guns. I sure didn't. Except for the age requirement, to buy, which is law.

Nothing else has been said.

Nobody mentioned guns. I sure didn't. Except for the age requirement, to buy, which is law.

Nothing else has been said.

Right to buy.....not to operate. Big big difference. I can go out and buy a gun and teach a 10 year old to shoot. I shot my first rifle at 12.