is a 4 loss Maryland team better than an undefeated TX power?

noonereal

St. John's MD vs San Angelo TX  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this hypothetical match up?

• St. John's
    • San Angelo

23 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

^^ You mentioned SoS. I was commenting on that part, not directly answering your question.

St. John's seems to be overwhelming in this category... keep in mind many are transfers...

2017 St. John offerees

3* DE Tyree Johnson - TAMU commit

5* OT Calvin Ashley - Auburn commit (Dr. Phillips FL transfer)

4* DT Cam Spence - Maryland commit (Gilman --> IMG --> St. Johns transfer)

4* QB Kasim Hill -  Maryland commit (Gilman MD transfer)

3* DE Kafi Wardlow - 8 FBS offers

2* OG Stanley Hubbard - 9 FBS offers

& St. Johns has a 5*  ILB in the 2019 class, Shane Lee.

Edit: I found 1 SR player with a couple offers from San Angelo Central

3* WR Aaron Wooten...

None in the 2018, or 2019 classes.

That's what we were seeking :D I knew you'd come through! 

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

trash analysis just looking at D1 talent alone. desoto beats St John talent wise and SAC even has a better win vs a common opponent than them.  talent doesnt trump strong team execution.

Whoa. Lol 

I simply wanted the facts to compare SOS, team talent,  and on resume execution. It's for fun. If talent was the tell all, be all, upsets would never happen. 

Im not foolish, Fly' 

It is tough for West Texas kids to get exposure.

San Angelo Central has a qb who will play D1 ball. He didn't play qb until SR year due to a 3 star move in last season. Limited his exposure but the offers are coming. QB is a dual threat who makes good decisions and doesn't get rattled.

The running back is a monster. 6'0" 205 with 4.4 speed. Averages 9ypc. One D2 offer and this one is the most baffling. He's extremely good. I'd take him over Allen's backs. He's fast, quick, patient, can juke you, has a good spin move, will run you over, and can pass block. The backup is 220 pound and good but doesn't play much because #34 is so good.

6'8" 220 WR with over 1,000 yds receiving. Harvard commit but has FBS offers. He's impossible to handle.

Also 6'5" and 6'4" starting receivers. 6'4" kid will be QB next year and will be big time. His dad was UT and NFL qb.

It's a big, sure handed receiving corps that can go up and get the ball.

Oline is good but not dominant. 2-3 who will play in college. Avg. 6'2.5" 283.

The offence is a balanced spread that is really good and gets all the pub.

The defense is better. 

Given up 20 total points in the second half the last 10 games.

Really good DL with 280+300lbs DTs who are can run and fast, disruptive DEs. 

MLB is a D1 player, 4 year starter at 235lbs. I think he was listed as a top 3/5 ILB in Texas by 247.

A safety and corner are also both D1 guys. The corner had no offers but is an elite talent. He was moved from WR to corner in the middle of his junior year and he's an unknown. He's 6'2" 190 with 6 picks. Both corners can cover 1 on 1.

They've held every opponent to their lowest offensive output of the season.

They have a plus 31 turnover margin. The offense has turned it over only 3 times.

They also have as good of a coaching staff as there is. Coaching advantage over almost every opponent. They prepare their kids better than anyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

This is just another in a long line of big games for Allen. Their composure will be the difference... Ill take the Eagles to beat SAC.

The thing is... this thread, and mainly the poll, is 2 days early. Wait til AFTER the Allen game to ask because nobody really knows exactly how good SAC is. Its all speculation based on how badly theyve beaten the teams they have up to this point. 

So again, ask this same question, on Saturday... after theyve played Allen & we get a better idea on them. We know your feelings NOR. People realize St. Johns has played better teams... we know more about how they perform vs the better teams than we do about SAC. But we will find out about SAC THIS week.

Good post, nice job.

I would say both Allen and SA are both unproven (unknown) though. 

It's the familiarity with past Allen teams we are attributing attributes to this one that don't seem quite right. (top 5 nationally)

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

Good post, nice job.

I would say both Allen and SA are both unproven (unknown) though. 

It's the familiarity with past Allen teams we are attributing attributes to this one that don't seem quite right. (top 5 nationally)

Of course they are unproven to you as you are uneducated about Allen and SAC.  You don't follow these teams nor have you seen them play.

truth be told you have no idea how this Allen team compares to previous ones.  What's different, what's better or worse?

your hypothetical matchup proves the very thing you are arguing about as most probably picked St John to win ONLY because they are familiar with the name and not because of some indepth knowledge of either team.

pure comic relief...LOL

5 minutes ago, Lamarfan said:

San Angelo would kick the crap out of any Maryland team.

Not with their defense LOLOL. 

Four drives, Four touchdowns for Allen in less than 15 minutes. Allen hasn't scored 28 in several games this year lol, let alone a half. 

Now we disect that SAC schedule more because they're making an inconsistent O look like the 2001 Rams 

Great thread which is deeply appreciated.  One relatively minor correction and a sincere apology for mentioning it:  St. John's is at 27th and Military road in Washington, D. C.  Majority of their players are from Maryland (or Florida and elsewhere) however.  FWIW when StJ played DeMatha there were more than 8,000 at the game which is a real number.  I realize this is a fraction of some Texas crowds but it spoke well for HS ball in the greater DC area.

• Like 1