Congrats to DLS

FolsomPrisonBlues

6 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

So close. You were only 31 points off 

Unlike some long time posters, whose team loses, and the guy vanishes for half a season, he had the balls to come on and take the heat, with a dish of crow on the side. Unlike a certain flipdick in Wilton Manor. Or another success story, the dudette from Moultrie/Thomson/Gray, Ga.

Folsom played hard. And very smooth at times. But the turnovers were killers.DLS is a shell of their former self.Nonetheless, talent slide, coaching downgrade included, DLS is still a tough, aggressive, and opportunistic team. Even for an elite team. And especially  a public school with defined boundries, you have to finish drives. And avoid playing dropsy with the ball.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

Unlike some long time posters, whose team loses, and the guy vanishes for half a season, he had the balls to come on and take the heat, with a dish of crow on the side. Unlike a certain flipdick in Wilton Manor. Or another success story, the dudette from Moultrie/Thomson/Gray, Ga.

Folsom played hard. And very smooth at times. But the turnovers were killers.DLS is a shell of their former self.Nonetheless, talent slide, coaching downgrade included, DLS is still a tough, aggressive, and opportunistic team. Even for an elite team. And especially  a public school with defined boundries, you have to finish drives. And avoid playing dropsy with the ball.

I agree, Block manned up, accepted the 'L' and stood his ground... faithful fan.

Regards,

BGW

• Like 2

Not sure what to take away from this game. It would be better if these two could match up mid season or later... or even again in the playoffs if their respective regular seasons justify it even though the CIF regs currently don't allow it.

Unless DLS can create an offense that goes beyond the veer, It may be difficult for them to handle BG or anyone beyond the level of their regular season schedule. Getting into the season can help them address that.

Anyone who watched the game is aware Folsom lost on the scoreboard but were not outplayed. They showed stuff in the first half and essentially beat themselves. We all saw the turnovers so there is not need to explain. The most surprising thing was how well Folsom matched up in the trenches... I for one did not expect that. Its too bad that Folsom would not schedule up beyond this game as if they get their stuff toge

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Anyone who watched the game is aware Folsom lost on the scoreboard but were not outplayed. They showed stuff in the first half and essentially beat themselves. We all saw the turnovers so there is not need to explain. The most surprising thing was how well Folsom matched up in the trenches... I for one did not expect that. Its too bad that Folsom would not schedule up beyond this game as if they get their stuff toge

A to the mennnnnnnnn

25 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

Not sure what to take away from this game. It would be better if these two could match up mid season or later... or even again in the playoffs if their respective regular seasons justify it even though the CIF regs currently don't allow it.

Unless DLS can create an offense that goes beyond the veer, It may be difficult for them to handle BG or anyone beyond the level of their regular season schedule. Getting into the season can help them address that.

Folsom did matchup in the trenches with DLS, which was surprising. However, it is more indicative of DLS than it is Folsom.

This by far the least physical line play I've ever seen from a Spartan team. That goes for both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Folsom did matchup in the trenches with DLS, which was surprising. However, it is more indicative of DLS than it is Folsom.

This by far the least physical line play I've ever seen from a Spartan team. That goes for both sides of the ball.

This is probably their best defense in the past 10 years. Their O-line I won’t argue. 

You just don’t respect Folsom is all. 

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

You are right about that and I'm not sure why. The talent while not like years ago, is still somewhat there.

4 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Time will tell, obviously.  Folsom does have athletes all over the field, so their defense might be better than advertised.  Their coach was quoted as saying they learned from previous DLS losses and they changed everything (to basically mirror DLS); this includes physicality.  Bellevue and other programs also did it.  The DLS line might not have appeared as physical as in the past because they were matched up against someone equally as tough.  Or maybe not.  Everyone always says that DLS is at their most vulnerable in their first game.  We'll soon see if that is the case this year or if De La Salle is not as good as first thought.

• Like 1

Just now, Rippers said:

Time will tell, obviously.  Folsom does have athletes all over the field, so their defense might be better than advertised.  Their coach was quoted as saying they learned from previous DLS losses and they changed everything (to basically mirror DLS); this includes physicality.  Bellevue and other programs also did it.  The DLS line might not have appeared as physical as in the past because they were matched up against someone equally as tough.  Or maybe not.  Everyone always says that DLS is at their most vulnerable in their first game.  We'll soon see if that is the case this year or if De La Salle is not as good as first thought.

All they had to do was sellout on the run. That DLS QB isn't going to beat any decent team with his arm. That's just the honest truth.

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

That DLS QB isn't going to beat any decent team with his arm. That's just the honest truth.

He does not have to.  He just has to throw enough to keep the defense honest.  Plus it was the sophomores first start, he looked better the second half.  Again, first game.  Let's see what happens the next couple of weeks.

Another potential piece of intrigue--the Gorman game is week 5.  When is the senior transfer eligible to play?  Wouldn't that be interesting if it is that week (although I suspect it will be the following) and DLS trots him out for that game?

The board would have the meltdown that Block was predicting....

6 minutes ago, Rippers said:

He does not have to.  He just has to throw enough to keep the defense honest.  Plus it was the sophomores first start, he looked better the second half.  Again, first game.  Let's see what happens the next couple of weeks.

Another potential piece of intrigue--the Gorman game is week 5.  When is the senior transfer eligible to play?  Wouldn't that be interesting if it is that week (although I suspect it will be the following) and DLS trots him out for that game?

The board would have the meltdown that Block was predicting....

I'm not saying he will never be good, but DLS is going to have to beat teams throwing the ball.

DLS is not a complete team and lacked the physicality they've been known to have.

Fortunately they only have 2 more opponents (if they make the open) that will exploit their weaknesses.

As for Folsom, they have no more challengers the rest of the way and you guys are going to think they're awesome.

I'd put them both fringe Top 50 until further notice. No way they should be ranked in anyone's Top 25 right now.

19 minutes ago, Gospeeder said:

You are right about that and I'm not sure why. The talent while not like years ago, is still somewhat there.

Their preparation sets them apart.Even though they are not as gifted as they were 15 years ago. Plus the confidence that comes with being part of a team whose  history is probably worth a few points their way in any game. Was reading the Bee this morning, and several DLS players and coaches acknowledged they had put in a lot of preperation for this game. Dissecting every scrap of film from nearly every game y'all have played since 2012. One DLS kid said, " We knew everything they were doing." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

Good post. Many NorCal teams have tried this approach to beating DLS. Only a few have made any serious ground. Folsom, Jesuit, Serra, Cal (a few years ago), and a others. I think Folsom was just tough along the LOS and equaled DLS’s physicality....which I certainly didn’t see coming. Rask, Tagaloa, Ingram, and Puckett, and Foskey (TE) all have schollies. These guys played both ways most of the night and dominated on the defensive side. The physicality was there. Folsom just equaled it. And as I said in another thread...these two teams had 6 months to scout and analyze each other by top notch coaches. Not surprising, in retrospect, that it was a tough close game. That said, I think both teams need a little more depth.

• Like 2