Ohio Week 2 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Colerain @ St. Xavier - Colerain 17 St. X 14

Colerain came out and completely dominated their neighborhood rival La Salle 23-0, and the score could have been at least 30-0 if not for 3 bad snaps on 2 FG's and an XP attempt. Colerain has a very good kicker, but need to find a reliable longsnapper. The story of the game was how dominant the Colerain Defense was. La Salle had only 1 First down and very minimal yards outside of the final drive of the game, when the outcome was already decided. The new Colerain DLine wreaked havoc. Sophomore Dontay "The Godfather" Corleone was very impressive, as was Sophomore LB Mike Bess. ALso 6'4 280 LB/DL Eric Phillips made throwing around/over him incredibly difficult with his length.....On the other side of the ball, the Colerain offense looked pretty good for week 1, but definitely need a lot of work. They benefitted from 2 short fields on 2 La Salle turnovers. Considering how good La Salle's defense is, the Colerain offense looked pretty solid. The QB DSM2, and the other 3 returning RB's will be very difficult to stop once they get clicking.  

St. X beat up on Lakota West 34-0. Not sure how much to take from this game as Lakota West is breaking in a new coach and are expected by many to have a rough year.....St. X had to replace Chase Wolf, and they've found a game QB in Wyatt Hudepohl, though they sometimes run WR Kreimer at QB. The St. X defense appears to be very solid as always.

This neighborhood rivalry is among thee best in HSFB, and it seems every game is very close. They have played each other 20 times since 2005 and 4 of the last 6 meetings have gone to OT. The last time they met was last year in the regional finals and Colerain handled X, despite the 21-14 final score. Colerain returns most of the offense and defense from that team. X has to replace more, but also bring back some good pieces..............Colerain has had some of the best defenses in the state/nation the last 4 years, but their one weakness was that they were small on the DLine. That's not the -case this year, as the DLine should be a highlight of this Defense. Add that to one of the best LB corps in Ohio, and one of the best secondaries in Ohio, and you have a scary defense. I really don't know what to make of X yet this year, but I think this is a game Colerain should win as they long as they take care of the ball.

Mentor @ St. Ignatius - Mentor 35 Iggy 28

Mentor opened the season very strong with a 42-39 win against St. Eds. Neither defense showed up for this game. Sophomore QB Ian Kipp for Mentor looked fantastic making great decisions and rushing for 170+ yards. The Mentor OLine is pretty solid. Mentor definitely figured something out with the St. Ed's defense because they kept gaining huge yards with similar plays throughout, and the St. Ed's defense never adjusted. A missed St. ED XP opened the door for Mentor to create distance from Ed's in what was a score for score game......The Mentor defense looked like a typical Mentor defense.

Iggy played Hoban and came up short 21-14. Both teams defenses played very well. Both offenses looked like week 1 offenses. Both QB's looked solid at times, and not so good at other times. In the 2nd half Hoban was able to tire out the Iggy defense by just running straight ahead.    

It's hard to judge Iggy's offensive capabilites based on their week 1 game against Hoban's D. They should be going a much more porous defense this week against Mentor. Mentor has a lot of offensive possibilites and options, and looked much more comfortable on offense than Iggy did last week. I can see Iggy putting up some points, but not sure they can put up more points than they give up. I'll take Mentor in a close one.

St. Edward vs. Cass Tech MI - Ed's 28 Cass Tech 24

St. Edward went score for score with Mentor, but ultimately a missed XP and the subsequent failed 2 pt attempts kept the game just out of reach. I really like Ed's QB Dzuro, and they have  nice RB in Castleberry. Ed's offense looked very solid. Ed's defense however looked awful.....I'm not sure if it was just the scheme that Mentor was exploiting, but Mentor's QB was running through huge holes and up and down the middle of the field with nobody around him. Was expecting an adjustment by Ed's that never came. 

Cass Tech is ranked 3rd in Michigan by most of the local Michigan media. They also have quite a bit of star players as usual. Otherwise I don't know a whole lot about Cass Tech this year. 

If Ed's makes some adjustments to the defense, I think they should win this game. If their defense comes out and plays like they did against Mentor, I think they will be in serious trouble because Cass Tech has some very good RB's. I will put my faith in Ed's coaching staff figuring out that defense. 

Elder @ Indianapolis Cathedral IN - Elder 28 Cathedral 14

Elder is getting a lot of hype this year. They brought back a great QB in Bittner. They beat Gahanna Lincoln 31-0 last week. Their defense played very well also, which is a good sign for Elder.

Cathedral is awlays a tough, scrappy team, but lost last week to Brownsburg. This may not be one of Cathedral's better teams, but they are never an easy game. 

This is the perfect type of team to see where Elder stands. I think Elder gets it done on the road.

Moeller vs. Trinity KY - Trinity 24 Moeller 7

Moeller beat team Canada last week 27-14. This Moeller team struggled to move the ball in scrimmages, and seems like that will be a legit concern for them this year. Their defense should be pretty solid.

Trinity has had a rough start to the season, losing to Carmel and Warren Central in close games. This doesn't seem to be one of Trinity's better teams, but the same is even more true for Moeller. I don't see any way Moeller outscores Trinity

Trotwood Madison vs. Simeon IL - Trotwood 20 Simeon 14

Trotwood-Madison beat Winton Woods 13-3 in week 1.

Pick Central vs. Canada - Pick Central 49 Canada 7

Pick Central looked very dangerous at times winning 49-18 against Phillips IL, but there were also many times that Phillips sustained drives on the Pick Central defense. The Pick Central offense looked great behind Demeatric Crenshaw, but to be honest Phillip's D looked nowhere near strategically ready for Pick Central's offensive attack. Regardless Pick Central will be tough to stop this year.....This will be a good tune-up week.

Hoban @ Cardinal Mooney - Hoban 35 Mooney 3

Hoban finally got over the top D1 hump and took out Iggy 21-14. Hoban had to start Mick at QB in place of Hamm. Mick did a great job. Behind their massive OLine, and 2 outstanding RB's Hoban was able to grind out the win. Their defense was fantastic. 

Hoban will be facing small school power Cardinal Mooney this week. Hoban is just too big and talented for Mooney. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

I'm thinking that Mentor will beat Iggy as well.  The DLine of Iggy is suspect, and Mentor had a good rushing attack against EDs.  Also, the Iggy QB and receiver don't look to be in sync. Too many dropped passes.  We'll see if Chuck Kyle can come up with a good game plan to remedy their weaknesses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ohio said:

I'm thinking that Mentor will beat Iggy as well.  The DLine of Iggy is suspect, and Mentor had a good rushing attack against EDs.  Also, the Iggy QB and receiver don't look to be in sync. Too many dropped passes.  We'll see if Chuck Kyle can come up with a good game plan to remedy their weaknesses.

Yea....Week 2 is always one of the most interesting, because most teams have seen some of their glaring weaknesses, and will now try to remedy them. They say the biggest improvement comes between week 1 and week 2

33 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Trinity has had a rough start to the season, losing to Carmel and Warren Central in close games. This doesn't seem to be one of Trinity's better teams, but the same is even more true for Moeller. I don't see any way Moeller outscores Trinity

I wouldn’t say Trinity is down just for losing those two games. WC and Carmel are, probably, the top two teams in IN this year (Avon might make some noise as well). The Rocks should’ve beaten WC. They let that one slip away. 

54 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Colerain came out and completely dominated their neighborhood rival La Salle 23-0, and the score could have been at least 30-0 if not for 3 bad snaps on 2 FG's and an XP attempt. Colerain has a very good kicker, but need to find a reliable longsnapper. The story of the game was how dominant the Colerain Defense was. La Salle had only 1 First down and very minimal yards outside of the final drive of the game, when the outcome was already decided. The new Colerain DLine wreaked havoc. Sophomore Dontay "The Godfather" Corleone was very impressive, as was Sophomore LB Mike Bess. ALso 6'4 280 LB/DL Eric Phillips made throwing around/over him incredibly difficult with his length.....On the other side of the ball, the Colerain offense looked pretty good for week 1, but definitely need a lot of work. They benefitted from 2 short fields on 2 La Salle turnovers. Considering how good La Salle's defense is, the Colerain offense looked pretty solid. The QB DSM2, and the other 3 returning RB's will be very difficult to stop once they get clicking.  

St. X beat up on Lakota West 34-0. Not sure how much to take from this game as Lakota West is breaking in a new coach and are expected by many to have a rough year.....St. X had to replace Chase Wolf, and they've found a game QB in Wyatt Hudepohl, though they sometimes run WR Kreimer at QB. The St. X defense appears to be very solid as always.

This neighborhood rivalry is among thee best in HSFB, and it seems every game is very close. They have played each other 20 times since 2005 and 4 of the last 6 meetings have gone to OT. The last time they met was last year in the regional finals and Colerain handled X, despite the 21-14 final score. Colerain returns most of the offense and defense from that team. X has to replace more, but also bring back some good pieces..............Colerain has had some of the best defenses in the state/nation the last 4 years, but their one weakness was that they were small on the DLine. That's not the -case this year, as the DLine should be a highlight of this Defense. Add that to one of the best LB corps in Ohio, and one of the best secondaries in Ohio, and you have a scary defense. I really don't know what to make of X yet this year, but I think this is a game Colerain should win as they long as they take care of the ball.

Mentor opened the season very strong with a 42-39 win against St. Eds. Neither defense showed up for this game. Sophomore QB Ian Kipp for Mentor looked fantastic making great decisions and rushing for 170+ yards. The Mentor OLine is pretty solid. Mentor definitely figured something out with the St. Ed's defense because they kept gaining huge yards with similar plays throughout, and the St. Ed's defense never adjusted. A missed St. ED XP opened the door for Mentor to create distance from Ed's in what was a score for score game......The Mentor defense looked like a typical Mentor defense.

Iggy played Hoban and came up short 21-14. Both teams defenses played very well. Both offenses looked like week 1 offenses. Both QB's looked solid at times, and not so good at other times. In the 2nd half Hoban was able to tire out the Iggy defense by just running straight ahead.    

It's hard to judge Iggy's offensive capabilites based on their week 1 game against Hoban's D. They should be going a much more porous defense this week against Mentor. Mentor has a lot of offensive possibilites and options, and looked much more comfortable on offense than Iggy did last week. I can see Iggy putting up some points, but not sure they can put up more points than they give up. I'll take Mentor in a close one.

St. Edward went score for score with Mentor, but ultimately a missed XP and the subsequent failed 2 pt attempts kept the game just out of reach. I really like Ed's QB Dzuro, and they have  nice RB in Castleberry. Ed's offense looked very solid. Ed's defense however looked awful.....I'm not sure if it was just the scheme that Mentor was exploiting, but Mentor's QB was running through huge holes and up and down the middle of the field with nobody around him. Was expecting an adjustment by Ed's that never came. 

Cass Tech is ranked 3rd in Michigan by most of the local Michigan media. They also have quite a bit of star players as usual. Otherwise I don't know a whole lot about Cass Tech this year. 

If Ed's makes some adjustments to the defense, I think they should win this game. If their defense comes out and plays like they did against Mentor, I think they will be in serious trouble because Cass Tech has some very good RB's. I will put my faith in Ed's coaching staff figuring out that defense. 

Elder is getting a lot of hype this year. They brought back a great QB in Bittner. They beat Gahanna Lincoln 31-0 last week. Their defense played very well also, which is a good sign for Elder.

Cathedral is awlays a tough, scrappy team, but lost last week to Brownsburg. This may not be one of Cathedral's better teams, but they are never an easy game. 

This is the perfect type of team to see where Elder stands. I think Elder gets it done on the road.

Moeller beat team Canada last week 27-14. This Moeller team struggled to move the ball in scrimmages, and seems like that will be a legit concern for them this year. Their defense should be pretty solid.

Pick Central looked very dangerous at times winning 49-18 against Phillips IL, but there were also many times that Phillips sustained drives on the Pick Central defense. The Pick Central offense looked great behind Demeatric Crenshaw, but to be honest Phillip's D looked nowhere near strategically ready for Pick Central's offensive attack. Regardless Pick Central will be tough to stop this year.....This will be a good tune-up week.

Hoban finally got over the top D1 hump and took out Iggy 21-14. Hoban had to start Mick at QB in place of Hamm. Mick did a great job. Behind their massive OLine, and 2 outstanding RB's Hoban was able to grind out the win. Their defense was fantastic. 

Hoban will be facing small school power Cardinal Mooney this week. Hoban is just too big and talented for Mooney. 

I'm with you on every pick.

• Like 1

Coletrain06,

You think the Trotwood-Madison / Simeon game will be close?  I don`t see that.......Simeon won last week over a decent Naperville North team...30-20. Simeon actually led 30-0 at the half, but they have the same problem as Phillips...can`t kick extra points or make 2 pt.conversions. They actually scored 5 TD`s but missed all the pts. after. They have a very athletic QB and good size but they will probably implode like Phillips did against PC last week. T-M `s def should be able to contain Simeon......I see a 28-6 game for TM.

Tell me about this Trotwood Madison team. I think I have a little more confidence in Simeon than @abbatt but probably agree that TM wins. They won't have a Bama commit, but will have a better QB, probably equally athletic, better coaching, and more depth.

They've been down the past three years coinciding with Phillips rise which is probably related.

Trotwood-Madison is the defending Div.3 champ. Finished 15-0 last year including a 28-19 win over Pickerington Central. Their lines are huge....300-345lbs. and a 6`7 245 lb TE with a lot of offers. They are rated 8th in Ohio by Maxpreps.this year after finishing 2nd rated last year. To solid of a program for Simeon. Simeon is always loaded with athletes and size,speed..but they mostly seem to fall short of expectations. I saw them in person several years ago when they played a first- round play0off game at Glenbrook North. They were way bigger...but they didn`t seem to be any faster .GBN stuffed the run and chased the QB all night. They beat Simeon 17-7. The following week GBN got pounded at Willowbrook..49-21. Then Willowbrook got smeared by ESL 60-27 the next week. ESL went on to win the state.

I don`t see better coaching......Yes a better QB....but not any more depth. We will see what happens.

28 minutes ago, abbatt said:

Trotwood-Madison is the defending Div.3 champ. Finished 15-0 last year including a 28-19 win over Pickerington Central. Their lines are huge....300-345lbs. and a 6`7 245 lb TE with a lot of offers. They are rated 8th in Ohio by Maxpreps.this year after finishing 2nd rated last year. To solid of a program for Simeon. Simeon is always loaded with athletes and size,speed..but they mostly seem to fall short of expectations. I saw them in person several years ago when they played a first- round play0off game at Glenbrook North. They were way bigger...but they didn`t seem to be any faster .GBN stuffed the run and chased the QB all night. They beat Simeon 17-7. The following week GBN got pounded at Willowbrook..49-21. Then Willowbrook got smeared by ESL 60-27 the next week. ESL went on to win the state.

I don`t see better coaching......Yes a better QB....but not any more depth. We will see what happens.

You won't see Simeon with the blown coverages that Phillips had. Simeon is accustomed to playing equally talented teams. However I didn't know TM beat PC last year, that's impressive. The Simeon teams I've seen didn't have everyone going both ways and we're especially deep at WR and DB. They'd be even better had their RB not transferred to us last year. End of the day I don't think they get 49-18'd but I could be wrong.

Bones,

The biggest dis- advantage I see is the difference in the level of coaching. GBN totally game planned Simeon to the point where Simeon was taken completely out of their flow. i expect the same thing here. I was really surprised that Simeon stayed with Cass tech last year...only losing 17-12...but this is a different animal.I really wish that LWE or Loyola were playing these Ohio teams instead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abbatt said:

Bones,

The biggest dis- advantage I see is the difference in the level of coaching. GBN totally game planned Simeon to the point where Simeon was taken completely out of their flow. i expect the same thing here. I was really surprised that Simeon stayed with Cass tech last year...only losing 17-12...but this is a different animal.I really wish that LWE or Loyola were playing these Ohio teams instead.

Class Tech was legit last season and I would have picked them over Trotwood.  I know nothing about Simeon but I feel like this game will be very close.  I picked against Trotwood last week and thought they would get blown out, but they stepped up and shut down a talented Winton Woods squad.

13 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Dontay Corleone is the best GMC football name since CJ Stalker. :D

• Like 1

Great write-up, as always Coletrain06.

Couldn't agree more on your Colerain comments.  The defense looked nasty but I'm just not sure what to make of that LaSalle OL.  They looked green and poor Horton was clearly having flashbacks to his days of getting chased around by Cardinals while wearing his Lakota West uniform! LOL  Lots of build up for Cam Porter and he mustered....6 yards on 7 carries...YIKES!

The offense...ugh...not pretty, IMO.  DSM2.0 looked good, not great.  He will gain confidence knowing the job is his and as the weeks go by.  After X, they get a rejuvenated Vikings squad from Princeton and then a break as the next three are Middletown/Sycamore/Hamilton.  One thing is for sure...we can't have JJ and Syncere nursing injuries through the first month.  If they ARE hurt, and who knows if they are, they need to get their rest and be ready for the end of the year.  We have plenty of TB depth with Freddie Johnson (So.) and others that can fill in admirably if they need time off.

Didn't watch the Pickerington Central game yet.  I think I DVR'd it.  May watch that this weekend.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

In Ohio only home teams can stream live video, so Colerain stream will be audio only

But St. X usually streams all their home games....and it's usually pretty good quality.

Darn

but I will be at the Ed’s game since last weeks stream sucked a big Wally!

well wait a second , Eds streams all their regular season games, last week was at Mentor

I call foul Cole😀

14 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Darn

but I will be at the Ed’s game since last weeks stream sucked a big Wally!

well wait a second , Eds streams all their regular season games, last week was at Mentor

I call foul Cole😀

Im debating going to the game myself, because of how horrid St. X's parking situation and traffic is.......2 years ago, had to park like half a mile away from the stadium, and took around an hour in stand still traffic to just  get away from the campus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Class Tech was legit last season and I would have picked them over Trotwood.  I know nothing about Simeon but I feel like this game will be very close.  I picked against Trotwood last week and thought they would get blown out, but they stepped up and shut down a talented Winton Woods squad.

Simeon / TM could possibly be a better game than we think but this scenario is completely the same as Phillips / PC. It was evident that Phillips could play with PC and as a team they may be just as good... but as a program?... absolutely no way... and that's the difference.