USC being out muscled against finesse Stanford

FolsomPrisonBlues

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Just because you are a hater and want Ohio/the Midwest/Big10 to be the best, doesnt mean the SEC hype isnt warranted. The SEC rules college football, despite your objections or denials.

Um, i hate Ohio State, Michigan and pretty much everyone except for Notre Dame.  I remember when they hype had Mississippi St ranked 1 in the country.  How did that turn out?

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

They have up 45 in regulation. Technically OU scored 2 TDs in the 2nd half... 1 was the scoop and score off of the Sony Michel fumble.

My point was once GA had a chance to see what OUs O was about, OU scored a single TD on O in the 2nd half AND 2 Overtimes... quoting me total points doesnt tell anything about the whole game. It was a tale of 2 halves.

It tells me that If you have to face high octane offense every week you are going to give up a lot of points.  

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Alabama didnt get torched last year. Chad Kelly beat them when he was at ole miss. But at the end of the day the sec has owned college football in the last decade 

One team's success doesn't equate to the whole conference.  That's the same as saying the AFC east has owned the NFL since Tom Brady has been there.

3 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

One team's success doesn't equate to the whole conference.  That's the same as saying the AFC east has owned the NFL since Tom Brady has been there.

I agree, but only on the surface. I'll provide you with a few different data points to consider.

Since 2007, the beginning of Saban's dominance at Bama, 14 out of the 20 losses they've had were to other SEC opponents (UGA, Miss St., LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, S. Carolina, Florida, and TAMU).

Also, how many other conferences can claim more national championship appearances and trophies than the SEC in the past 20 years? I'll start with the BCS, and later add the CFP results.

From 1998-2013 (the BCS era), only 16 different teams played for the national championship. The SEC is the only conference with double digit appearances and wins. No other conference has more than 3 reps except the SEC (5). All other conferences have combined for 1 win against the SEC rep in the National Championship.

SEC: Alabama (3), LSU (3), Auburn (2), Florida (2), Tennessee (1)

Combined NC appearances: 11

Combined Record: 9-2 (two teams played each other in 2012)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Big 12: Oklahoma (4), Texas (2), Nebraska (1)

Combined NC appearances: 7

Combined Record: 2-5 (0-3 vs SEC)

**ACC: FSU (4)

Combined NC appearances: 4

Combined Record: 2-2 (1-1 vs SEC)

** Miami and VT were not in the ACC the years they made NC appearances. They will be included in the Big East totals in this exercise.**

Big East: Miami (2), VT (1)

Combined NC appearances: 3

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-0 vs SEC)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pac-10: USC (2), Oregon (1)

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-1 vs SEC)

Big 10: Ohio State (3)

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-2 vs SEC)

Independent: Notre Dame (1)

Combined NC appearances: 1

Combined Record: 0-1 (0-1 vs SEC)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I agree, but only on the surface. I'll provide you with a few different data points to consider.

Since 2007, the beginning of Saban's dominance at Bama, 14 out of the 20 losses they've had were to other SEC opponents (UGA, Miss St., LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, S. Carolina, Florida, and TAMU).

Also, how many other conferences can claim more national championship appearances and trophies than the SEC in the past 20 years? I'll start with the BCS, and later add the CFP results.

From 1998-2013 (the BCS era), only 16 different teams played for the national championship. The SEC is the only conference with double digit appearances and wins. No other conference has more than 3 reps except the SEC (5). All other conferences have combined for 1 win against the SEC rep in the National Championship.

SEC: Alabama (3), LSU (3), Auburn (2), Florida (2), Tennessee (1)

Combined NC appearances: 11

Combined Record: 9-2 (two teams played each other in 2012)

Big 12: Oklahoma (4), Texas (2), Nebraska (1)

Combined NC appearances: 7

Combined Record: 2-5 (0-3 vs SEC)

**ACC: FSU (4)

Combined NC appearances: 4

Combined Record: 2-2 (1-1 vs SEC)

** Miami and VT were not in the ACC the years they made NC appearances. They will be included in the Big East totals in this exercise.**

Big East: Miami (2), VT (1)

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-0 vs SEC)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pac-10: USC (2), Oregon (1)

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-1 vs SEC)

Big 10: Ohio State (3)

Combined Record: 1-2 (0-2 vs SEC)

Independent: Notre Dame (1)

Combined NC appearances: 1

Combined Record: 0-1 (0-1 vs SEC)

LSU lost to Kentucky in one of their national championship years.  That tells you everything you need to know about the BCS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nptb17 said:

SEC defense's get exposed against good offenses.  SEC offense are better than they get credit for.  OU shredded the Georgia defense.  Georgia and Alabama wasn't a defensive struggle.

I see your points here - I was surprised how OU shredded them in the first half.  That said, Mayfield was one hell of college QB and what impressed me more than anything were the adjustments made by GA at the half.  I did notice that the 1st half gauging was more about Georgia being  in the wrong sets, assignments, etc than it was OU beating them athletically.  In contrast, I could see the GA oline getting the better of OU right from the first whistle so I thought GA would come back and make it a game at the half (not going to lie and say I thought they'd win lol)   That was a great game and you make valid points about what can happen with the SEC defenses vs some of the higher profile offenses when you don't see them in conference.   However, I'll bet on more of  a  smash mouth type of team  and the ability of the SEC to make defensive adjustments when needed and come out the winner the huge majority of the time vs any other conference.  

I also think players are developed best for the NFL in the SEC due to the style of play.....they have a significant (about 30% more) amount of players in the NFL than the next closest conference which is the Big 10 (the ACC and Pac 12 are right behind them)  

Just now, GrecoRoman said:

I see your points here - I was surprised how OU shredded them in the first half.  That said, Mayfield was one hell of college QB and what impressed me more than anything were the adjustments made by GA at the half.  I did notice that the 1st half gauging was more about Georgia being  in the wrong sets, assignments, etc than it was OU beating them athletically.  In contrast, I could see the GA oline getting the better of OU right from the first whistle so I thought GA would come back and make it a game at the half (not going to lie and say I thought they'd win lol)   That was a great game and you make valid points about what can happen with the SEC defenses vs some of the higher profile offenses when you don't see them in conference.   However, I'll bet on more of  a  smash mouth type of team  and the ability of the SEC to make defensive adjustments when needed and come out the winner the huge majority of the time vs any other conference.  

I also think players are developed best for the NFL in the SEC due to the style of play.....they have a significant (about 30% more) amount of players in the NFL than the next closest conference which is the Big 10 (the ACC and Pac 12 are right behind them)  

There are a lot of SEC bust in the NFL because people hype them up to be more than what they really are.  

10 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

LSU lost to Kentucky in one of their national championship years.  That tells you everything you need to know about the BCS.

Thanks for further strengthing the argument for the SEC.

They also lost to Arkansas. Both were triple OT games.

It's a shame that Ohio State (the Big 10 Champ) couldn't get the job done as well.

1 minute ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Thanks for further strengthing the argument for the SEC.

They also lost to Arkansas. Both were triple OT games.

It's a shame that Ohio State (the Big 10 Champ) couldn't get the job done as well.

The point is that they shouldn't have even been in the game.  LSU got to play Alabama in a rematch game when OKie State should have been there.  ESPN had too much of a hand in the BCS.

24 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

The point is that they shouldn't have even been in the game.  LSU got to play Alabama in a rematch game when OKie State should have been there.  ESPN had too much of a hand in the BCS.

It's interesting that you think Oklahoma State should have been selected after losing to unranked Iowa State.

If a one loss team was going to make it, it makes sense to choose the team that had a 3 point loss to the #1 team going into the game.

Alabama, Boise State, and Oklahoma State were the only one loss teams at selection time. Alabama was the best choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

It's interesting that you think Oklahoma State should have been selected after losing to unranked Iowa State.

If a one loss team was going to make it, it makes sense to choose the team that had a 3 point loss to the #1 team going into the game.

It didn't make sense in 2006.

17 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

It didn't make sense in 2006.

What didn't make sense?

Excluding undefeated Boise State?

In defense of the BCS, they made a bigger mistake by putting Ohio State in that game. I assume your hinting that Florida didn't belong, but that 41-14 ass kicking of the previously undefeated Ohio State says otherwise.

7 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

What didn't make sense?

In defense of the BCS, they made a bigger mistake by putting Ohio State in that game. I assume your hinting that Florida didn't belong, but that 41-14 ass kicking of the previously undefeated Ohio State says otherwise.

Well Michigan and OSU who were 1 and 2 played an all time classic game.  Most of the Country wanted to see a rematch.  Florida who lost to an unranked Ole Miss was awarded a spot in the ship.  

7 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

What didn't make sense?

Florida got gifted that spot... 

It should've been a OSU-Michigan rematch

4 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Well Michigan and OSU who were 1 and 2 played an all time classic game.  Most of the Country wanted to see a rematch.  Florida who lost to an unranked Ole Miss was awarded a spot in the ship.  

Most of the country? That's bullshit.

It's pretty obvious that Ohio State was not the best team in the country. You just need to face the reality that the Big 10 is never going to get the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure this NC game helped in shaping that perception.

Despite what anyone says, the SEC Champion has proven worthy of a NC bid. From 1998 to 2013 only one team outside of the SEC was good enough to beat the SEC Champs in the NC game. If those results were different, I'd imagine we would not be having this debate. The SEC has earned it on the field, you can't deny that.

• Like 1