Using tungsten to craft a dumbbell

ChimpGrip

6 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Hey that’s why I said it’s cool by me! I’m all in. Of course I’d probably get some Thai “shim” boytoy doing the “tuck” as it gives me the treatment. 

Now you're speaking my language.

I like to go to Thailand about once per year, just to visit the ladyboy bars.

We'll have to exchange PMs. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Now you're speaking my language.

I like to go to Thailand about once per year, just to visit the ladyboy bars.

We'll have to exchange PMs. 

Ha ha ha....

Three years ago, just after my divorce, I went to Bangkok as well.  I swear, there were ladyboys everywhere, the thing that sucks is that you can't really tell which one is a lady hooker or a ladyboy.  Next time I go there I might have to use the Crocodile Dundee test.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, ChimpGrip said:

Does anyone here have experience with metal works? This board is a fairly diverse group of experience, talents, etc.

I want build a one-piece globe dumbbell that will have a 3" thick handle and weigh 600 pounds. It will be a test of grip and posterior chain strength. 

I want it to look just like the Thomas Inch dumbbell

Assuming you already know the secret as you have probably studied the Inch dumbbell....

My take...A nice dimple by the seam to one of the balls, and a matching tire stud on the thumb side of your grip glove, is all that is needed to stop the  gyroscopics…😉

The size of the Nail Hole on Inch's bell was ridiculous....😵

15 minutes ago, Troll said:

Assuming you already know the secret as you have probably studied the Inch dumbbell....

My take...A nice dimple by the seam to one of the balls, and a matching tire stud on the thumb side of your grip glove, is all that is needed to stop the  gyroscopics…😉

The size of the Nail Hole on Inch's bell was ridiculous....😵

How about lateral raises with an inch dumbbell in each hand? Or flat dumbbell bench press with a millennium dumbbell in each hand? That's ancient creature strength.

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

How about lateral raises with an inch dumbbell in each hand? Or flat dumbbell bench press with a millennium dumbbell in each hand? That's ancient creature strength.

I like your original idea of your own inch bell better.  It's a super cool parlor trick that shows strength is not the only factor in achieving a physical task.  Once you include the mind, a smaller opponent can easily top strength alone.  Having one at the gym would be a neat competitive test. 👍

I'm thinking maybe could do it out of solid soft lead, easy to shape yourself, and with that handle thickness (and the softness) would think the only risk would be bending it.  Remembering the gyroscopic effect, any way to get the mass to the outer edges (from lateral) of those balls will increase the effect.  If you could electroplate the outer shell with something more dense it would fall in line with the physics, and you would have to seal the lead anyways.... 🤔

That's my initial thoughts anyways, good topic, I had not seen the inch dumbbell, and much like understanding how to tackle a stronger arm in armwrestling, it's actually interesting...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Troll said:

I like your original idea of your own inch bell better.  It's a super cool parlor trick that shows strength is not the only factor in achieving a physical task.  Once you include the mind, a smaller opponent can easily top strength alone.  Having one at the gym would be a neat competitive test. 👍

I'm thinking maybe could do it out of solid soft lead, easy to shape yourself, and with that handle thickness (and the softness) would think the only risk would be bending it.  Remembering the gyroscopic effect, any way to get the mass to the outer edges (from lateral) of those balls will increase the effect.  If you could electroplate the outer shell with something more dense it would fall in line with the physics, and you would have to seal the lead anyways.... 🤔

That's my initial thoughts anyways, good topic, I had not seen the inch dumbbell, and much like understanding how to tackle a stronger arm in armwrestling, it's actually interesting...

Interesting take on making the dumbbell  a novelty or a parlor trick type item.   I believe that a 3-D printer would also be able to do the trick, though not sure.

As far as how to tackle a stronger arm in armwrestling this guy shows a few tricks, but you still have to worry about get injured if you don't know what you are doing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ohio said:

Interesting take on making the dumbbell  a novelty or a parlor trick type item.   I believe that a 3-D printer would also be able to do the trick, though not sure.

As far as how to tackle a stronger arm in armwrestling this guy shows a few tricks, but you still have to worry about get injured if you don't know what you are doing.

lots of different techniques and grip types etc, I guess based on his terms, I would hook, shoulder press, arm muscle lock, and (body) drag...... but to me if you can get locked up with the opponent it's all about the ANGLE of the press or drag....

Anything you can do to separate opponents wrist bone AWAY from his shoulder bone in distance from ANY angle.

Most times that means hooking and pulling straight in towards your own chest.  Crack his angle open first then flatten it...as close to your own side of the table as people think legit...     Look at where the end of the pad is....you did not knock his hand over much at all....you pulled it out.

When I was young I used to love to parlor trick way bigger dudes, but at a certain point you are right and technique will never stop a bone from shattering, I think the point of "too much technique" was the point I pretty much stopped arm wrestling...  

• Like 1

I haven't armwrested anyone in about 3 decades.  Don't need the soreness or an injury.  But I wish I knew some of these tricks in high school and maybe I wouldn't have lost so much.  Lol

There are guys that have some type of bone lock and its almost impossible to pin their arm.  Don't know if it's genetic or something they developed.  In this video, the smaller, older, lawn gnome looking guy rests on a bone lock, waiting for the bigger opponent to tire out.  Then once the bigger guy gasses, papa smurf goes for the pin.

58 minutes ago, ohio said:

Interesting.

This is what I learned from Sly Stallone in 1987: 

Step 1: put your truckers hat on backwards.

Step 2: adjust your grip over your opponent's thumb.

The only time it fails is when you're distracted at the table by a custody battle over your son. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Belly Bob said:

Interesting.

This is what I learned from Sly Stallone in 1987: 

Step 1: put your truckers hat on backwards.

Step 2: adjust your grip over your opponent's thumb.

The only time it fails is when you're distracted at the table by a custody battle over your son. 

Ashamed to admit it, but I actually watched that movie.  Don't know what I was thinking. lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ohio said:

I haven't armwrested anyone in about 3 decades.  Don't need the soreness or an injury.<<<BINGO  But I wish I knew some of these tricks in high school and maybe I wouldn't have lost so much.  Lol <<<I figured it out real young, and thought it was great to appear way stronger than you really were (I guess why I say it's a trick LOL) 

There are guys that have some type of bone lock and its almost impossible to pin their arm.  Don't know if it's genetic or something they developed. below vvv

Yes, for me at least it was only 10-15% effort to lock (what felt more like muscle to me) and not press.  Then you can test presses, until the stronger were tired enough to flatten.  But WHAT I would try to lock, is my wrist bone as close to my shoulder bone as possible.....the rest of the work (most of it actually) is done with the body and not the arm...….need to hook your leg inside the table leg or similar to be more effective.... 

just saying for anyone who might find it interesting...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Troll said:

Yes, for me at least it was only 10-15% effort to lock (what felt more like muscle to me) and not press.  Then you can test presses, until the stronger were tired enough to flatten.  But WHAT I would try to lock, is my wrist bone as close to my shoulder bone as possible.....the rest of the work (most of it actually) is done with the body and not the arm...….need to hook your leg inside the table leg or similar to be more effective.... 

just saying for anyone who might find it interesting...

I tried using a press type technique in high school, that I saw on Wide World of Sports armwrestling championships, but I was only 5'10'' and weighed about 150 pounds..  So it didn't work too well against the bigger guys.

The technique that looks interesting is the posting toproll at about 1:10 in the video.  This trick/technique looks like it takes away the upper body strength of a larger opponent, by pulling away the arm from his body, and turns it into a hand vs hand contest with you having a leverage advantage.   Looks pretty tricky.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:16 PM, Troll said:

I learned that I can actually order an Inch dumbbell for $475, but there's one problem... storing it until I can actually train with it.

Edit: Did you ever see Brian Shaw do the inch dumbbell incline press for reps? I believe he is truly the strongest man ever. 99.9% of the human population can't even break the floor with an Inch!

On 10/3/2018 at 4:24 PM, ohio said:

Brzenk! He is a true legend in the sport. He is one of the few men to ever beat my favorite arm-wrestler, Devon Larratt.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2018 at 5:54 PM, ohio said:

I tried using a press type technique in high school, that I saw on Wide World of Sports armwrestling championships, but I was only 5'10'' and weighed about 150 pounds..  So it didn't work too well against the bigger guys.

The technique that looks interesting is the posting toproll at about 1:10 in the video.  This trick/technique looks like it takes away the upper body strength of a larger opponent, by pulling away the arm from his body, and turns it into a hand vs hand contest with you having a leverage advantage.   Looks pretty tricky.

You guys need to check out Dave Chaffee, that guy has an enormous amount of horsepower on the table, like no one else I've seen. He's got an atomic get-off. 

9 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

You guys need to check out Dave Chaffee, that guy has an enormous amount of horsepower on the table, like no one else I've seen. He's got an atomic get-off. 

He's a real big guy who seems to be getting stronger.  He actually lives in Erie, PA.  Here's him against Denis.  Would love to see them go at it again.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, ohio said:

He's a real big guy who seems to be getting stronger.  He actually lives in Erie, PA.  Here's him against Denis.  Would love to see them go at it again.

Chaffee absolutely smoked his opponent at WAL 405. Denis vs Larratt next month is going to be epic! Denis has elite arm strength and side pressure. 

Do you have an opinion on the King’s Move? I’m not a big fan of it myself. 

6 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Chaffee absolutely smoked his opponent at WAL 405. Denis vs Larratt next month is going to be epic! Denis has elite arm strength and side pressure. 

Do you have an opinion on the King’s Move? I’m not a big fan of it myself. 

Chaffee actually is ranked #1 in the world in the right hand, now.  https://www.xsportnews.com/armwrestling/world-armwrestling-rankings-experts/

Kings Move.  On one hand it makes matches exciting since they can last a few minutes, instead of a one second pin.  On the other hand, it is kind of unfair because it uses a bone lock, and is almost impossible to pin.  Thus negating the stronger opponents power, and forcing him to use strategy and smarts instead.

As for me, I think it's OK as long as the shoulders don't go below the table.  Some refs don't follow the rules, and allow armwrestlers to go too far under the table.  The WAL is a good format but the refs are too lenient on the rules as this match between Devon and Todd shows in WAL 406.  Devon tried the press to finish Todd off, but every time Devon went for the press, Todd shifts his whole body to the left side of the table, thus changing the angle of attack.  When Devon goes to a normal position, Todd shifts his whole body to the center of the table, thus allowing Todd a chance to pin if Devon makes a mistake.  Devon's smart he will learn from this loss when they meet again.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 5:03 PM, ohio said:

Chaffee actually is ranked #1 in the world in the right hand, now.  https://www.xsportnews.com/armwrestling/world-armwrestling-rankings-experts/

Kings Move.  On one hand it makes matches exciting since they can last a few minutes, instead of a one second pin.  On the other hand, it is kind of unfair because it uses a bone lock, and is almost impossible to pin.  Thus negating the stronger opponents power, and forcing him to use strategy and smarts instead.

As for me, I think it's OK as long as the shoulders don't go below the table.  Some refs don't follow the rules, and allow armwrestlers to go too far under the table.  The WAL is a good format but the refs are too lenient on the rules as this match between Devon and Todd shows in WAL 406.  Devon tried the press to finish Todd off, but every time Devon went for the press, Todd shifts his whole body to the left side of the table, thus changing the angle of attack.  When Devon goes to a normal position, Todd shifts his whole body to the center of the table, thus allowing Todd a chance to pin if Devon makes a mistake.  Devon's smart he will learn from this loss when they meet again.

Chaffee #1 RH... does not surprise me one bit.

This is a good analysis of the Kings Move. I didn't like seeing that in the Larratt vs Todd match, but even Devon says he respects that style. I was surprised that Todd got Devon, I thought it'd be a 3-0-type match (because Devon has already beaten Todd before I believe and looked stronger than ever). 

Do you think we see Chaffee vs Larratt in 2019? He needs to beat Cyplenkov (which will be a war), Zhogh again (who is killing it with the LH ), and Chaffee to get back to the top IMO. 

One more month until Cyplenkov - Larratt!