Jersey guys - Jabrill Peppers

GrecoRoman

How is he doing - I don't follow the NFL enough to know.  Toal told me directly he never saw a more talented player in his life and it seemed Harbaugh echoed that although his college stats didn't seem to be great - I think his versatility is what Harbaugh often praised.    Anyway, if I had a penny for every time someone told me he was the best player in Jersey history which I was always skeptical of.  I'll say that from what I've seen Cushing impresses me more as a college/NFL player as does Malcolm Jenkins  but I havent seen much of Peppers in the NFL hence the reason for the question.  His stats sure look like nothing special and the few games I've seen him return punts he looks average at best (for the NFL of course).  I only saw him against the Colts & Steelers and TY Hilton & Antonio Brown made him look really bad multiple times but that can happen to anyone I guess

1 hour ago, GrecoRoman said:

How is he doing - I don't follow the NFL enough to know.  Toal told me directly he never saw a more talented player in his life and it seemed Harbaugh echoed that although his college stats didn't seem to be great - I think his versatility is what Harbaugh often praised.    Anyway, if I had a penny for every time someone told me he was the best player in Jersey history which I was always skeptical of.  I'll say that from what I've seen Cushing impresses me more as a college/NFL player as does Malcolm Jenkins  but I havent seen much of Peppers in the NFL hence the reason for the question.  His stats sure look like nothing special and the few games I've seen him return punts he looks average at best (for the NFL of course).  I only saw him against the Colts & Steelers and TY Hilton & Antonio Brown made him look really bad multiple times but that can happen to anyone I guess

As of a week or so ago, jabrill has only played 48.5% of defensive snaps for the browns. 

Unfortunately, Jabrill is just a tweener. Not big enough to be olb, But not good enough in coverage to be true corner or free Safety in the Nfl. He’s a sure tackler though but certainly hasn’t had that a big impact in the return game in Cleveland. 

But peppers has the most incredible highlight tape in HS to come out of NJ in 20 years..... esp his junior year tape. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

As of a week or so ago, jabrill has only played 48.5% of defensive snaps for the browns. 

Unfortunately, Jabrill is just a tweener. Not big enough to be olb, But not good enough in coverage to be true corner or free Safety in the Nfl. He’s a sure tackler though but certainly hasn’t had that a big impact in the return game in Cleveland. 

But peppers has the most incredible highlight tape in HS to come out of NJ in 20 years..... esp his junior year tape. 

I think you are pretty spot on. 

Fantastic player but I still put Brian Toal & Brian Cushing a tier higher than him in regards to all time NJ HS players. They are truly the best 2 HS players I have ever seen play. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JerseyMan128 said:

Fantastic player but I still put Brian Toal & Brian Cushing a tier higher than him in regards to all time NJ HS players. They are truly the best 2 HS players I have ever seen play. 

These were my thoughts.  Neither of them were the best I've seen play (Cushing was unbelievable though and I never had a chance to see Toal) The best I saw live was Derrick Henry and Karlos Williams.  Henry was a man amongst boys and I think Karlos Williams was the most underachieving  athlete  relative to his gifts that I've ever seen.   I think Williams led the NFL in YPC after 5 or 6 games as a rookie then was suspended - and this wasn't his natural position he belonged on defense.  Jimbo Fisher moved him to offense claiming that he had formation and coverage issues.  I heard Jon Beason and Ed Reed say in person they haven't seen someone his size cover ground like he could and the guy could hit unbelievably hard......he was  very much like a Sean Taylor.   I was at this Under Armour game and he was on a different level then everyone - the coaches were actually saying he was going to hurt someone.  I only could find a couple clips but believe me this guy was as big a freak as there is 

3 hours ago, JerseyMan128 said:

Williams was 6'1 230 and ran a 4.4 at the combine.  That's better than Peppers while being 30 pounds heavier.  To give an idea Cushing ran a 4.74 at 243 ....he doesn't touch the raw athleticism of Williams and Cushing is a damn freak.  (Of course we know these things aren't all that make a player I'm just displaying the level of athlete this guy was 

As a Browns fan they played him at safety lining up 30 yards down field .... bad scheme 

this year they moved him up towards the line

he complained to the media 2 weeks ago saying the fans hate him because he played at the team up North LOL no shit😀

then they played the Ravens and his name was called like 10 times... his best game by far 

last week he muffed a punt return and fell on it for his best return as a pro 4 yards

Good kid with talent but have to play him in the right place

14 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

..I got to agree with coach Toal..both Brian's were studs and head and shoulders the best players in the state their years...but Jabril was something special in H.S...I remember seeing him at a Bosco practice the summer before his freshman year...the Q.B. throws a deep ball to a W.R....Jabril jumps up...intercepts the ball and then tuned into Deion Sanders in front of my eyes...he runs it all the way back with no one getting to within 3 feet of him as he makes everyone look like they were running in sand..as an "8th grader"..and his legend only grew....I assisted my buddy who runs a media site film the Bosco game at Manatee his Sophomore year...I filmed him popping a T.D. run up the middle against them that helped win the game...he turned into a R.B. that game and played great against one of the best defensive I've seen in H.S...he could and did do it all in H.S...

..I think he needs to settle in as a Pro but he will get there...he's too talented not to..I read an article on Yahoo that he is being harrassed by Browns fans and can't understand it and attributes it to playing for rival Michigan...that may be true to soem extent but he does need to step up his game and earn his money soon...or you're going to hearing the word "bust" soon...

another kid who impressed me in HS was Adams..S for Baltimore?..I forgot which HS (Passic Tech.?) he played for but remember him playing against Bosco and the kid was all over the field laying the wood...tough kid and great pro now!....and Dalvin Cook up close was impressive!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 5:04 PM, JerseyMan128 said:

Still think I would go iron head heyward , Cushing , toal , peepers 

1 hour ago, SJR89 said:

Still think I would go iron head heyward , Cushing , toal , peepers 

Forgot about Heyward - good one.  Jack Tatum up there as well.

Hard for me to keep Toal in the discussion with these other guys.  I get how good of a HS player he was but proving yourself at the next level  is a factor in terms of where I would rank soneone in an  all time great.  I get that HS is different etc but its just my opinoin in how I rank a guy.  In other words, is Toal on the same level as Cushing......in my mind no.  It doesnt really matter what he did in HS that could all be relative to not seeing enough equal talent.  

I thought I heard (def dont know this I'm more asking) that Cushing dominated Bosco almost single handedly .....was Toal part of that game?

I remember the year he got drafted and the Jersey folk were on here talking about how he was going to change the teams fortune of who ever drafted him. Talking about the interceptions he was going to have and that he would be the biggest star to play both ways. One poster asked what the record was for int's in a year and that he would break it. I asked how many he had in college and asked how he would all of a sudden turn into some freak in the NFL. Lol. I caught so much shit from the Jersey crew. I gotta find that old thread.

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Sad state of affairs over at Pepp's alma mater, PC. It's freshman team was forced to forfeit to BC last weekend since they only had 13 players. The institution's leadership is incompetent, inept and aloof as ever when it comes to athletics. It's sad, but they 'made their bed' as they say. Bad decisions lead to dire consequences. Back to irrelevancy. #TheEnd 

what happened to the "significant 4"??..LOL..looks like it's back to the "The BIG 3" once again....when Partridge left he took his golden phone with him and the football program too....#karma

15 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Forgot about Heyward - good one.  Jack Tatum up there as well.

Hard for me to keep Toal in the discussion with these other guys.  I get how good of a HS player he was but proving yourself at the next level  is a factor in terms of where I would rank soneone in an  all time great.  I get that HS is different etc but its just my opinoin in how I rank a guy.  In other words, is Toal on the same level as Cushing......in my mind no.  It doesnt really matter what he did in HS that could all be relative to not seeing enough equal talent.  

I thought I heard (def dont know this I'm more asking) that Cushing dominated Bosco almost single handedly .....was Toal part of that game?

I played against him in H.S....he was a 220lb freshman R.B. when we played them...a man amongst boys...his son is an awesome player!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

It's the Big Three Plus One my newbie, entitled friend. 

This.  But also look DePaul and some of these other less recognized teams.  BC goes on road and beats Grayson - BC facing stiff comp in Jersey = proof that Jersey football is legit in my opionion. I think this says more than Bosco winning OOS and having essentially zero comp at home - u agree?  (On top of that I've seen some publics who look solid as well)  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

This.  But also look DePaul and some of these other less recognized teams.  BC goes on road and beats Grayson - BC facing stiff comp in Jersey = proof that Jersey football is legit in my opionion. I think this says more than Bosco winning OOS and having essentially zero comp at home - u agree?  (On top of that I've seen some publics who look solid as well)  

The greatest achievement in OOS high school football history was pulled by NJ a few years back.

Not by GA, not by TX. By NJ. 

And it was done after Bosco sat atop the mountain. 

1 hour ago, DBP66 said:

yea..5-6 years ago...when Partridge left town..who forever tainted N.J. H.S. football...🤕

the bigger problem that I see now and not just in NJ but all over the country is the grey shirting. BC's freshmen squad is undefeated but the dirty little secret is is that most of the team is a year older. A little birdie told me that there are some really good athletes on this team that can't sniff the field (1 kid is supposedly 16). It is a growing problem through all of HS sports and eventually it will be addressed in my opinion. NJ state senate leader Cody (former HS coach) actually introduced legislation last year in order to stop it but it didn't pass. 

• Like 1