Parents Shouldn't Be Involved In Playing Time Discussions

Fred

This happens in all levels of youth sports, even town recreation leagues for kids in lower grades. 

I coached my son’s travel baseball team for 5 years from 2nd to 6th grade and have stepped away and he is playing club ball now with paid professional coaches. Coaching was great but dealing with parents was hell. Sadly this is the reason why many people are not willing to coach youth sports.

• Like 3

When my son was 7 years old, he was playing for a team that wasn’t very good, and the quarterback was some rich kid that the parents must have paid to have him start. He threw like 50 picks in 2 years. Anyways, the line wasn’t blocking up to his family’s standards and his older brother jumped the fence from the stands to go yell at the team. A police officer kindly told him to that he is banned for life at the stadium and told him to get the fuck out. Lol. 

I remember being at a game where the parents were on the fence yelling at the coach so loud the coach had to turn around and tell them to shut the fuck up. This was another team, but every game it seemed like the parents were overbearing and disrespectful. There’s not a lot of people, so when someone yells something everyone can hear it. Lol. 

The worst thing I noticed about youth sports is the politics. The athletic director, team moms, and coaches get first dibs on starting positions no matter how bad they suck. If your not right with the higher ups for the team, then your kid better look like Bo Jackson because if not your kid is gonna be fighting for scraps. It’s a damn shame. 

I remember checking out this team by the house we moved to, and the coach after just 2 practices said he wanted my son to play tight end. The coaches son was the running back, and some douche on a golf cart blocking everyone’s view was the dad of the quarterback. So you know he had pull. So without even trying any kids out for any positions, he already knew who was gonna play what position. I told him no thanks. I wasn’t gonna bring him to practice 3 times a week just so he can block for the coaches kids. It ended up being the right decision. The team went 0-10. 

These are some of the worst things about youth sports. Overbearing parents, and coaches who care about their own kids playing time over the success of the team 

12 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Good luck with that.... that and how hard you should practice and when's it's enough hitting....

Hell Fred you've seen enough up close... and throw in admin, boosters and hanger ons.

Regards,

BGW

"Should not" is different from "will not."

55 minutes ago, Woodchopper said:

@Nolebull813 this is off topic. But  I seen where Fsu got them a kicker. Glad somebody recognized Ryan Fitzeralds talents. Should be a good one for yall when Aguayo graduates.

UGA totally fucked Ryan over. 

Been a long time Georgia football fan but totally starting to be a hater.Do not appreciate their tactics in recruting sowega AT ALL. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

UGA totally fucked Ryan over. 

Been a long time Georgia football fan but totally starting to be a hater.Do not appreciate their tactics in recruting sowega AT ALL. 

I was told that he was offered as a preferred walk on at UGA. Most schools are not going to have multiple scholarship kickers on roster. Hot Rod has the scholly right now, and the next kicker can earn one after he graduates. 

It has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with a limited number of scholarship athletes allowed on the roster.

13 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I was told that he was offered as a preferred walk on at UGA. Most schools are not going to have multiple scholarship kickers on roster. Hot Rod has the scholly right now, and the next kicker can earn one after he graduates. 

It has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with a limited number of scholarship athletes allowed on the roster.

He was offered a preferred walk on. Then they offered the other kid after a full ride. I stood practically right beside him as the UGA recruiter was blowing smoke up his ass in the practice facility one night.

Fuck em. 

Ryan's dream to go to UGA was squashed when they offered a different kid. A kid from North Carolina of all places. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/pwa/georgia/article/georgia-sends-out-a-rare-offer-to-a-5-star-kicker-prospect

I hope they have to face him and FSU in a game and lose by a damned field goal. Hahaha

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

He was offered a preferred walk on. Then they offered the other kid after a full ride. I stood practically right beside him as the UGA recruiter was blowing smoke up his ass in the practice facility one night.

Fuck em. 

Ryan's dream to go to UGA was squashed when they offered a different kid. A kid from North Carolina of all places. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/pwa/georgia/article/georgia-sends-out-a-rare-offer-to-a-5-star-kicker-prospect

I hope they have to face him and FSU in a game and lose by a damned field goal. Hahaha

I wasn't aware of that happening. Pretty shitty for Ryan, but now he can go show UGA what they whiffed on.

The kid they offered seems to be an absolute beast, not many kickers receive 5 star ratings.

I do find it interesting that Les Miles and Kansas has already offered Ryan's little brother as a 2025 recruit. Lol

• Like 1