The state of HS football in America

HSFBfan

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/30/high-school-football-numbers-drop-brain-trauma

As I read this article, I was not surprised by which states saw the largest percentage drops. 

While brain trauma is certainly one major concern, I still think there is an elephant in the room with competitive equity. 

Coaches like Negro basically saying he doesn't know whether what his program is doing is hurting the sport, but then remaining unapologetic, basically is saying he doesn't really care. Just keep his checks coming. Hey, business is business after all. Right up until your business starts a huge wildfire and you become bankrupt.

We've often heard that athletes are gonna athlete... this explains increases in other sports while football experiences decline. Those athletes are gonna athlete.

It's ok though. We can keep pointing fingers at all sorts of stuff while the sport withers away on the vine.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Coaches like Negro basically saying he doesn't know whether what his program is doing is hurting the sport, but then remaining unapologetic, basically is saying he doesn't really care. Just keep his checks coming. Hey, business is business after all. Right up until your business starts a huge wildfire and you become bankrupt.

Yeah, because he definitely got into high school football because of the money.

You're just projecting your angst.

Participation isn't down because Jason Negro attracts a lot of players to his program.

Puhlease.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yes your angst left off the complete statement by coach Negro

Now I don't know if this is detrimental to the high school landscape.  I do not feel that our success here at Bosco is hindering any other high school football program from doing the same thing and being as successful as ours.  I think that we have a blueprint for being successful and we put in the work to make the dream become a reality.

so as we now put into context what coach said continue with the pettiness 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Now I don't know if this is detrimental to the high school landscape.  I do not feel that our success here at Bosco is hindering any other high school football program from doing the same thing and being as successful as ours.  I think that we have a blueprint for being successful and we put in the work to make the dream become a reality.

But is it really what hs sports are supposed to be about?

16 minutes ago, BanThisMan said:

Are high school sports about coaching kids to be the best that they can and prepare them for college and life?

Yes.

The fact that you and HawgGoneIt want to win more games isn't what its about.

I was agreeing with the first part you said

Winning games though is also a big part of competing 

College imo doesnt fully prepare you for life but that's another discussion 

39 minutes ago, Ararar said:

He also supports the ban against IMG because they take other teams' players.

• Haha 4

Just now, BanThisMan said:

But your high school winning more games shouldn't be the determining factor for maligning transfers and wanting to change the rules.

That's all it is with you and Hawg.

I never said change the rules. And kids are transferring because they want to win. I dont believe that's a good thing but thats reality. Nobody wants to play on a bad team. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

College imo doesnt fully prepare you for life but that's another discussion 

Sounds like something a non college grad would say.

But high school IS for preparing kids for college and/or adulthood. So that's what Negro is trying to do. Get as many kids in Southern California prepared to be college athletes.

2 minutes ago, BanThisMan said:

Sounds like something a non college grad would say.

But high school IS for preparing kids for college and/or adulthood. So that's what Negro is trying to do. Get as many kids in Southern California prepared to be college athletes.

I'm a college grad with 2 degrees but dont let that stand in your way. 

Hs should be preparing but we all know not every school is successful in doing that for everyone of course since not every kid will go on to college but other alternative routes. 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I never said change the rules. And kids are transferring because they want to win. I dont believe that's a good thing but thats reality. Nobody wants to play on a bad team. 

This post is a whole lot of incoherence and nonsense.

So you think kids are transferring because they want to win and you don't think that's good.

But you just got done telling us that winning is a big part of competing.

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Winning games though is also a big part of competing 

But then nobody wants to play on a bad team?

Huh?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Hs should be preparing but we all know not every school is successful in doing that for everyone of course since not every kid will go on to college but other alternative routes. 

So your mission is to get mad and trash the schools that do prepare their kids for college?

What a strange decision on your part.

Just now, BanThisMan said:

This post is a whole lot of incoherence and nonsense.

So you think kids are transferring because they want to win and you don't think that's good.

But you just got done telling us that winning is a big part of competing.

But then nobody wants to play on a bad team?

Huh?

Winning is a big part of competing but athletes today and you see it from the pros to hs dont want to grind it out on the bad team to help make it better so they jump ship. 

It would be better if they learned how to deal with the program they are at and help make it a more successful program and the wins then are more fulfilling.

Unfortunately in reality it's not like that. Its get to the best program you can get too in order to chase the almighty scholarship and of course win games without the year in year out struggle to win. 

1 minute ago, Belly Bob said:

Is high school sports about coaching kids to be the best they can be and preparing them for college and for life?

Yes.

The fact that Jason Negro and the majority want to win more football games isn't what it's about.

Hs sports has become business. It is not what it was when we grew up and for that it's not a good thing 

3 minutes ago, BanThisMan said:

So your mission is to get mad and trash the schools that do prepare their kids for college?

What a strange decision on your part.

I'm not mad at all and I'm not trashing anyone. I truly dont care what negro and Sjb do. I dont care what any program does. They are gonna do whatever they want to do. In all honesty I've never seen sjb play a football game 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Winning is a big part of competing but athletes today and you see it from the pros to hs dont want to grind it out on the bad team to help make it better so they jump ship. 

Programs lose because of the adults. Not the kids.

I always enjoy clueless people like yourself who project their deep resentments onto other people.

So now you're qualified to judge the inner feelings of high school kids? 

Interesting.