DeMatha 2019 Schedule

eaglesinsider

10 hours ago, WCACguy said:

Saving lives by short-term rentals...what a concept...lol.

Rank your top WCAC schedules for 2019. 2-4 are pretty damn close. I’ve got...

1. SJC-obvious 

2. Gonzaga-DBP, AHP, Plant is pretty consistent comp OOS. 

3. DeMatha-Close to GC, but I believe Iggy is better than Charlotte Catholic. 

4. Good Counsel-see above 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Rank your top WCAC schedules for 2019. 2-4 are pretty damn close. I’ve got...

1. SJC-obvious 

2. Gonzaga-DBP, AHP, Plant is pretty consistent comp OOS. 

3. DeMatha-Close to GC, but I believe Iggy is better than Charlotte Catholic. 

4. Good Counsel-see above 

1)SJC (crazy ...2/3 losses could still be a hell of a year).

2) DeMatha and GC (very similar) one great, one good, several decent.

4) Gonzaga - no great non-conference competition...favored in all non-league       games.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, BigDrop said:

We will find out in the first game of the year if DeMatha is capable of winning the national championship.  I believe that Bill McGregor is convinced they have the talent (at least 13 major division one offered athletes, front seven back on D, perhaps America’s best rb with an incredible line in front of him).  Thirteen or more 3-5 stars.  He has brought in a transfer QB from D. C.’s Wilson (started freshman year at SJC)(recent offer from Columbia is his first-sincere bravo to the Ivy League) who has a great deal of potential and who may be the key to the upcoming season. Fantastic potential.

For all of the hyperbole about talent and transfers at SJC and SFA DeMatha is still the equal of any.  

For me the most interesting game is St. Ignatius-a game that should have happened in the ‘90’s when Chuck Kyle was winning national championships at Iggy and Bill had his (and D. C’s) best team ever-‘98 with Scott McBrien and their own 15 major division one offered players) Interestingly Bill has a strong Cleveland connection.  He graduated from John Carroll after high school in Pittsburgh.

I saw Iggy blow out Berwick in the late ‘90’s when the four or five Cleveland busses had a half mile long caravan following them from Ohio to northeasternn PA.

I don’t know how many busses or cars will travel from Cleveland to D. C. this  year but it will be a real pleasure to watch Chuck Kyle’s St. Ignatius play Bill McGregor’s DeMatha. In Landover. 

I believe DeMatha will be undefeated when they play.

That would have been a great game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WCACguy said:

1)SJC (crazy ...2/3 losses could still be a hell of a year).

2) DeMatha and GC (very similar) one great, one good, several decent.

4) Gonzaga - no great non-conference competition...favored in all non-league       games.

Agree

28 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Can’t fault SJR for allowing Dematha to drop thier game in order for Joes to play another top national team

A very rare situation where this works out for everyone...

I’m guessing McGregor called his old friends at SFA up since SJR was left in an awkward spot after DM took the SJB game.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:06 PM, BigDrop said:

In ‘98 I saw arguably the best of Mike Pettine’s CB West blow out a team in the PA playoffs.  Those at the game said it was his best team ever which was an incredible statement since he had a pair of 45 or so game winning streaks and retired with something like 350 wins and only 40 defeats.

Anyway I saw DeMatha beat Wyoming Seminary in Wilkes Barre a week or two before.  Wyoming Srminary had 5th year players including the previous year’s Pittsburgh Post Gazette player of the year.  DeMatha  won by 20+ points, two weeks later won the WCAC championship 49-7.

I believe CB West was 4th in the US and DM 12th.  For me DeMatha was at least as good as Central Bucks West’s best. 

WyoSem not a football school back then, still not one today.  they could have all the 5th year seniors they want, they still wouldn't win a state title in PA.  Its a total wrestling school, football is an after-thought up there, always was.  

You would have seen much better game w/ DeM v CBW that season.  That could have gone down to the wire.  CBW was a beast at line play.  they were never the biggest but certainly the fastest and strongest.  I have a bunch of their games from the 90's if interested.

And yes that was arguably ONE of his best team in 98' but many will say 99' was better including me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

A very rare situation where this works out for everyone...

I’m guessing McGregor called his old friends at SFA up since SJR was left in an awkward spot after DM took the SJB game.  

I ain’t complaining.. I was grateful for 1 OOS game Let alone 3 of them..  now it’s time to get to work... might have to double down on my yearly Donation so the kids eat well on these trips and home games

DeMatha vs. Iggy is a big deal.  It won’t receive the publicity that it should but for me it is the most interesting game on DeMatha’s schedule.  There was a time when Cleveland St. Ignatius was thought of as the absolute best in America.  Any list of all time greatest hs teams would include one of the Chuck Kyle ‘90’s Iggy teams.

And:  Chuck Kyle was a running back at John Carroll in Cleveland about the same time Bill McGregor was there.  Did they know each other then? Did they both play for John Carroll-the same years?  Is this a 50 year friendship that will have them share a game this Fall outside of D. C? Three national championships for Chuck Kyle, national hs football coach of the year and more than ten top 25 rankings for Bill.

This is a game that I have long wanted to see happen.  And may have a bit more meaning than anyone suspects.

Bravo to Bill McGregor and Chuck Kyle for making it happen.

A half century....

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, golfaddict1 said:

Interesting... if you happen to find out which HS let us know.     

The Orlando mention reminded me of Calvin Ashley, who was at Dr Phillips, also IMG briefly and finished at SJC.     He transferred out of Auburn and his twitter account shows FAU now.  

Looks like he’s heading to Los Angeles California...Narbonne to be exact. 

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Tide-WR-commit-at-new-high-school-on-West-Coast--131313358/

• Thanks 2