Week 6 4-Oct Friendship Collegiate (DC)
Week 7 11-Oct BYE
Week 8 19-Oct at Gonzaga (DC)
Week 9 25-Oct Good Counsel
Week 10 2-Nov at Saint John's (DC)
Week 11 8-Nov Bishop McNamara

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

We will find out in the first game of the year if DeMatha is capable of winning the national championship.  I believe that Bill McGregor is convinced they have the talent (at least 13 major division one offered athletes, front seven back on D, perhaps America’s best rb with an incredible line in front of him).  Thirteen or more 3-5 stars.  He has brought in a transfer QB from D. C.’s Wilson (started freshman year at SJC)(recent offer from Columbia is his first-sincere bravo to the Ivy League) who has a great deal of potential and who may be the key to the upcoming season. Fantastic potential.

For all of the hyperbole about talent and transfers at SJC and SFA DeMatha is still the equal of any.  

For me the most interesting game is St. Ignatius-a game that should have happened in the ‘90’s when Chuck Kyle was winning national championships at Iggy and Bill had his (and D. C’s) best team ever-‘98 with Scott McBrien and their own 15 major division one offered players) Interestingly Bill has a strong Cleveland connection.  He graduated from John Carroll after high school in Pittsburgh.

I saw Iggy blow out Berwick in the late ‘90’s when the four or five Cleveland busses had a half mile long caravan following them from Ohio to northeasternn PA.

I don’t know how many busses or cars will travel from Cleveland to D. C. this  year but it will be a real pleasure to watch Chuck Kyle’s St. Ignatius play Bill McGregor’s DeMatha. In Landover. 

I believe DeMatha will be undefeated when they play.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

We will find out in the first game of the year if DeMatha is capable of winning the national championship.  I believe that Bill McGregor is convinced they have the talent (at least 13 major division one offered athletes, front seven back on D, perhaps America’s best rb with an incredible line in front of him).  Thirteen or more 3-5 stars.  He has brought in a transfer QB from D. C.’s Wilson (started freshman year at SJC)(recent offer from Columbia is his first-sincere bravo to the Ivy League) who has a great deal of potential and who may be the key to the upcoming season. Fantastic potential.

For all of the hyperbole about talent and transfers at SJC and SFA DeMatha is still the equal of any.  

For me the most interesting game is St. Ignatius-a game that should have happened in the ‘90’s when Chuck Kyle was winning national championships at Iggy and Bill had his (and D. C’s) best team ever-‘98 with Scott McBrien and their own 15 major division one offered players) Interestingly Bill has a strong Cleveland connection.  He graduated from John Carroll after high school in Pittsburgh.

I saw Iggy blow out Berwick in the late ‘90’s when the four or five Cleveland busses had a half mile long caravan following them from Ohio to northeasternn PA.

I don’t know how many busses or cars will travel from Cleveland to D. C. this  year but it will be a real pleasure to watch Chuck Kyle’s St. Ignatius play Bill McGregor’s DeMatha. In Landover. 

Good post. I remember back in the late 90s there was one year where DM and Seneca Valley had some people split on who the best team in Maryland was. Did you ever see those SV teams?

I like your optimism, but I don't see DM beating SJB. Will be a lot of talent on the field though, for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

You sure drank all the Kool-aid...lol. DeMatha is talented and will be good...but if they beat SJB it's a huge upset. They have huge question marks at DB (not a good thing vs the top QB in the country), WR and QB. After losing their top O-Lineman in the season opener they struggled up front. He is back and they are a year older so I suspect they will be better but an "incredible" line is a huge reach. And I saw the QB play in his brief stay at SJC his sophomore year...athletic but not great (at best third in the WCAC). The non-league schedule is one great team, one good team and four wins (they out-scored Imhotep, Avalon and Friendship 107-32 last year and McGregor knows what LCA is all about since he was there when SFA beat the 2-win team 51-6). I think the Stags will be 5-1 or 4-2 going into league play...where they certainly will compete for the title...but national champs? Highly doubtful.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Good post. I remember back in the late 90s there was one year where DM and Seneca Valley had some people split on who the best team in Maryland was. Did you ever see those SV teams?

I like your optimism, but I don't see DM beating SJB. Will be a lot of talent on the field though, for sure.

I saw both teams play back then and SV would have been run off the field by DeMatha. Those were some of the Stags best teams ever...which is saying a lot.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

They scrimmaged (sometime in late ‘90’s or so but not ‘98) at SV with DM winning by a td, first team to first team but I think the starters only played for less than a half.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WCACguy said:

I saw both teams play back then and SV would have been run off the field by DeMatha. Those were some of the Stags best teams ever...which is saying a lot.

In ‘98 I saw arguably the best of Mike Pettine’s CB West blow out a team in the PA playoffs.  Those at the game said it was his best team ever which was an incredible statement since he had a pair of 45 or so game winning streaks and retired with something like 350 wins and only 40 defeats.

Anyway I saw DeMatha beat Wyoming Seminary in Wilkes Barre a week or two before.  Wyoming Srminary had 5th year players including the previous year’s Pittsburgh Post Gazette player of the year.  DeMatha  won by 20+ points, two weeks later won the WCAC championship 49-7.

I believe CB West was 4th in the US and DM 12th.  For me DeMatha was at least as good as Central Bucks West’s best. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WCACguy said:

You sure drank all the Kool-aid...lol. DeMatha is talented and will be good...but if they beat SJB it's a huge upset. They have huge question marks at DB (not a good thing vs the top QB in the country), WR and QB. After losing their top O-Lineman in the season opener they struggled up front. He is back and they are a year older so I suspect they will be better but an "incredible" line is a huge reach. And I saw the QB play in his brief stay at SJC his sophomore year...athletic but not great (at best third in the WCAC). The non-league schedule is one great team, one good team and four wins (they out-scored Imhotep, Avalon and Friendship 107-32 last year and McGregor knows what LCA is all about since he was there when SFA beat the 2-win team 51-6). I think the Stags will be 5-1 or 4-2 going into league play...where they certainly will compete for the title...but national champs? Highly doubtful.

Agree its a very good schedule but MNC talks needs to chill ... DM needs to first not have a repeat on National TV like they did in 2018 

16 hours ago, BigDrop said:

In ‘98 I saw arguably the best of Mike Pettine’s CB West blow out a team in the PA playoffs.  Those at the game said it was his best team ever which was an incredible statement since he had a pair of 45 or so game winning streaks and retired with something like 350 wins and only 40 defeats.

Anyway I saw DeMatha beat Wyoming Seminary in Wilkes Barre a week or two before.  Wyoming Srminary had 5th year players including the previous year’s Pittsburgh Post Gazette player of the year.  DeMatha  won by 20+ points, two weeks later won the WCAC championship 49-7.

I believe CB West was 4th in the US and DM 12th.  For me DeMatha was at least as good as Central Bucks West’s best. 

There's a fair amount of video of the CB West teams of that era on YouTube, and I've seen some of them on DVD, but never in person. They really knew how to beat teams up at the LOS most times.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, eaglesinsider said:

Haven't seen the complete schedule posted here yet so here you go:

DeMatha
Week 0 24-Aug at Saint John Bosco (CA)
Week 1 30-Aug Imhotep Charter (PA)
Week 2 7-Sep BYE
Week 3 13-Sep Avalon
Week 4 20-Sep Saint Ignatius (OH)
Week 5 27-Sep Life Christian (VA)
Week 6 4-Oct Friendship Collegiate (DC)
Week 7 11-Oct BYE
Week 8 19-Oct at Gonzaga (DC)
Week 9 25-Oct Good Counsel
Week 10 2-Nov at Saint John's (DC)
Week 11 8-Nov Bishop McNamara

unless something has Changed...9/7  Dematha  is at SJR ........

• Haha 1

I must also add:

DeMatha 38 Miami Central 7 (USA Today #2 at the time); DeMatha also beat AHP a couple of weeks later in Florida.  STA and SJR are remembered-but there have been other significant victories of excellent OOS teams.

FWIW DeMatha has played in CA-in the late ‘70’s -and won.  (Yes, before your grandparents were born...)

5 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

There's a fair amount of video of the CB West teams of that era on YouTube, and I've seen some of them on DVD, but never in person. They really knew how to beat teams up at the LOS most times.

I think it was Parkland that CB West beat but what I remember most is the visiting linemen all had thick red creases in their foreheads when they took their helmets off.  Spoke volumes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Well.....this video starts with footage of CB West’s 56-7 state championship win over New Castle in December of ‘98.  The next week after Parkland mentioned above.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

https://247sports.com/player/traeshon-holden-46052218/

Just a fyi that 4 ️ wr  and Bama verbal is transferring out of SFA, but didn’t mention where to.  

Probably back to Orlando FL. The kid is locked into Alabama for the next step in his life. He may just want to be around family and friends for the last year of high school. Can’t really blame him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Probably back to Orlando FL. The kid is locked into Alabama for the next step in his life. He may just want to be around family and friends for the last year of high school. Can’t really blame him. 

Interesting... if you happen to find out which HS let us know.     

The Orlando mention reminded me of Calvin Ashley, who was at Dr Phillips, also IMG briefly and finished at SJC.     He transferred out of Auburn and his twitter account shows FAU now.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Didn't SFA QB do that prior to the beginning of the season last year?  Thought he went back to Richmond area to be with his family since he was already committed to Florida.