At NASCAR in Bristol reporting 100,000 empty seats

HooverOutlaw

Better showing in the stands this year than last year, but, the weather is much better as well. 

Last year when I was there you coulda threw a hand grenade into the stands and not killed 5 people.

The fall race usually does better, but, the stands still probably won't be all the way full. 

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Better showing in the stands this year than last year, but, the weather is much better as well. 

Last year when I was there you coulda threw a hand grenade into the stands and not killed 5 people.

The fall race usually does better, but, the stands still probably won't be all the way full. 

They have killed it ..... D-E-A-D.  Girls in my office have not talked about a race in 5 years.  Can you say boring?

21 minutes ago, Bormio said:

They have killed it ..... D-E-A-D.  Girls in my office have not talked about a race in 5 years.  Can you say boring?

I don't think it's dead. The drivers and teams are making more money now than ever. 

As far as asses in the stands as a metric, it appears to be struggling. That isn't even debateable, but, they are making their money from t.v. sponsorships now. It's just a totally different animal than it was 20 years ago. 

With the retirement of certain drivers a lot of fans gave up on the sport as well. They just never could click with another driver. What that says is they were never NASCAR fans, but just certain driver fans. 

I've migrated from Terry Labonte as my favorite driver, to Kyle Busch after Terry retired. That's because I got excited about the truck series around that same time and Kyle was killing it in that series at that time. 

Anyway, some fans retired with their driver. 

As I type this, Kyle Busch got his third win of the season in the MENCS. I think I made a good choice with who I was gonna root for back when he was 17. 

I'm not sure if they can fix the asses in the stands problem, or if they really even want to. 

I've said this before, but, the drivers just aren't accessible to the average fan, and this is costing them a more avid fan base. Imo, it appears to be due to sponsor obligations that the biggest stars aren't accessible. The people that are paying their bills get their time while the folks that buy tickets have to watch them from afar outside of occasional public appearances. 

They have taken some steps back in the right direction in the last couple of years by going back to each driver having their own souvemier trailer. Now they need to get back to having the driver actually make appearances during the weekend at the trailer to sign autographs for their fans. 

That type stuff. At least if they want asses back in the seats again. They need to start there.

• Like 1

They are no superstars today. In the 90's Dale Sr made up 65% of all merchandising.   These drivers now days all look the same no personalities .   Daytona and Atlanta both had the lowest tv ratings in history.  After this tv contract is up money will slow down.  Sponsors are not getting their money's worth. 

15 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

TV ratings are at a all time low also.

It varies from race to race. 

The Daytona 500 was down a little along with the other early races but, Vegas was up. 

No doubt they've probably found the peak of their current market share/t.v. audience. 

Dead... Nah. 

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Seriesrace in Las Vegas Sunday afternoon on FOX garnered a 3.05 rating and averaged 5.1m household viewers. That’s up from a 2.89/4.7m for last year’s race, also on FOX, marking the first year-on-year increase of 2019 for NASCAR’s top series

3 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

They are no superstars today. In the 90's Dale Sr made up 65% of all merchandising.   These drivers now days all look the same no personalities .   Daytona and Atlanta both had the lowest tv ratings in history.  After this tv contract is up money will slow down.  Sponsors are not getting their money's worth. 

Also a huge change happened when the tobacco money was pulled out. 

Tough to understate how important and huge that influence being pulled out changed the sport. As we know, they have struggled to keep an entity as the series' title sponsor ever since and the amount of money invested by the new entities is nothing close to what Winston did. 

A lot of variables at play. Not just the personalities issue, which is no doubt pretty subdued by the title sponsor and team sponsors. 

It costs around 125k dollars to run a 30 second t v. ad broadcast nationally. 

I can be the primary sponsor for a single car team in the MENCS for 30k per race. That gets my name on the hood, the primary paint scheme and a lot more, in front of roughly 5 million people on live t.v. for around 4 hours, and a lot of other people in the practices and qualifying, talk shows etc. leading up to the actual live race, plus I can use the car and driver in my other advertising schemes like billboards or ads for a year following. 

I say for 4 hours, but of course they can't show each car for the entire 4 hours. And of course the bigger drivers and teams garner more t.v. time and also larger amounts to sponsor.

It's definitely advertising dollars well spent as long as what you are marketing is reaching the right people. 

Tough to find more bang for your buck in t.v. advertising imo. 

17 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Annndddd I’ll be in Talladega having a blast not giving two shits what Hoover thinks. 

Regards

BGW

Hey Buford I have been to Talladega in the 70's, 80's, 90's , 00's , and 10's.

Been to almost 80 NASCAR races.  Never been to a race with 125,000 no shows that's your generation.    They have taken out 80,000 seats at Talladega. My generation of fans built it. Then the fan base who ask stuff like who is Cale Yarborough, or makes the statement NASCAR go faster today clueless of the fact Bill Elliott was going 217 coming into the tri oval at Talladega in 1987 thats the fan base of today.

I can remember being in the infield at Talladega and drivers coming in the public bathroom to take a piss. Darrell Waltrip was in blue jeans taking a piss. Today's elite PC drivers would not  piss on a fan if he was in fire much less take a piss with them. Give me cowboy hats and drivers with wad of a chew in, fights,  cussing, Ken Squier and Ned Jarrett calling the races no slicked up pretty boys as racers. 

• Like 2

It was already on its last legs, but once Jeff Gordon retired, I think that was it. It cannot be saved.

I watched it back in the day... From '92-05 probably. I went from being a Kyle Petty fan (when he drove the Mello Yello car), to Mark Martin, to Jeff Gordon. I know a lot of people hated the guy (and Im glad he dropped the Rainbow Warrior shit) but Jeff Gordon was my favorite driver and the greatest Nascar driver of All Time.

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

It was already on its last legs, but once Jeff Gordon retired, I think that was it. It cannot be saved.

I watched it back in the day... From '92-05 probably. I went from being a Kyle Petty fan (when he drove the Mello Yello car), to Mark Martin, to Jeff Gordon. I know a lot of people hated the guy (and Im glad he dropped the Rainbow Warrior shit) but Jeff Gordon was my favorite driver and the greatest Nascar driver of All Time.

Correction Kyle Busch is gonna supplant your 69 partner. 

Aight den,

BGW

• Haha 1

It's not even arguable that there has been a huge culture shift in NASCAR, and the country in general for that matter. 

It is what it is really. Gone are the Winston Cup days just like gone are the Winston t.v. commercials. 

Gone are the days when the drivers worked on their own cars and had grease under their fingernails during their t.v. interviews. That's given way to clean cut, more wholesome guys with manicures turning up a cold Coca-Cola or Monster Energy drink, with a smile just as the camera picks them up for an interview. 

The death of the sport is greatly exaggerated though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Gordon is around top 8 but not the best.

The King

Dale Sr

Jimmy Johnson

David Person are all better. 

Gordon is in the the 2nd pack with Waltrip, Yarborough, Lee Petty Bobby Allison.

9 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It's not even arguable that there has been a huge culture shift in NASCAR, and the country in general for that matter. 

It is what it is really. Gone are the Winston Cup days just like gone are the Winston t.v. commercials. 

Gone are the days when the drivers worked on their own cars and had grease under their fingernails during their t.v. interviews. That's given way to clean cut, more wholesome guys with manicures turning up a cold Coca-Cola or Monster Energy drink, with a smile just as the camera picks them up for an interview. 

The death of the sport is greatly exaggerated though. 

Sponsors can't like empty stands.

I have to admit that I do miss some of the nostalgic things HooverOutlaw mentions though. 

I miss looking across the track from the towers and seeing the packed Allison Grandstands at Talladega.

I miss sitting...well standing at my seats in the backstretch stands at Atlanta. I haven't even made myself go to Atlanta since they took the stands down where I used to spend the race getting told to get off the fence and back to my seat  by a track employee. 

There's definitely lot's to miss, but, there's still stuff to enjoy too. 

30 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

18 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Gordon is around top 8 but not the best.

The King

Dale Sr

Jimmy Johnson

David Person are all better. 

Gordon is in the the 2nd pack with Waltrip, Yarborough, Lee Petty Bobby Allison.

DaTmkAUX0AAx-iY.jpg.787c5649cd109f8418b043b83fd18f33.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Man, I saw 100s of titties just walking the two miles I had to walk to get to the track back in the 90's. 

Got beads? Hahaha

Talladega by far was the wildest. We went to the coca cola 600 in 1989 there was more partying went Friday afternoon at Talladega than the whole weekend in charlotte. Waltrip won that race but one my favorites Alan Kulwicki was best that day. He blew up late in the race. 

By the way give me the Alabama gang back too.

• Like 2