Uk vs unc 1st half officiating

954gator

What are your thoughts?  Try and ignore the homer broadcasters.  

I personally feel that refs just aren't able to consistantly get it right.   The game is just too fast for them.   Now don't get me wrong the 2nd half officiating was MUCH MUCH better.   But in general refs have been so inconsistant. 

A good example is going to be USCjr.   The refs have been letting them play hard nosed D (which I like personally), and thats fine, but just watch one of these next games they are going to get tick tacked and its going to be annoying.  Vs Florida in the second half we had 3-4 fouls called in one possession and were in the bonus 6 minutes in, while in the first half maybe in the last minute.   D played with the same tenacity.

Can't forget the unc arky game either.   Its very frustrating.  

• Like 1

Thats exactly it.  They do have too much control over games.  I have always said the officiating crew should have to face the media after games like the players and coaches do.  They can make bad calls and after the game sprint to their locker rooms probably not even shower and just split.  I bet if they were required to do a postgame press conference after every game they would try much harder to get the calls right. 

• Like 1

It's a rough job. When you and your buddies sit and watch a game of your fav team vs each other think of how it goes. 

" That was a obvious foul "! Your buddy disagrees. 

Then your buddy says " that was a foul " on a different play and you disagree. 

Hard to be objective and you know these zebras have shit against certain teams or players from previous run ins or personal reasons. 

• Like 1

Refs have controlled sports for a long time. Do people really think that only one ref Tim Donaghy cheated? I cant watch the NBA or NFL because of it. You can almost call when a ref is going to make an impact in the game. Announcers used to say "oh that was a make up call". Not any more.  It used to be only boxing and golf couldn't be controlled by refs. Now it is just Golf.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NorCalRuss said:

It's a rough job. When you and your buddies sit and watch a game of your fav team vs each other think of how it goes. 

" That was a obvious foul "! Your buddy disagrees. 

Then your buddy says " that was a foul " on a different play and you disagree. 

Hard to be objective and you know these zebras have shit against certain teams or players from previous run ins or personal reasons. 

I see what your saying, but I'm more complaining about inconsistency more than just that one game.   I'm just throwing it out there that South Carolina is going to get a rough whistle, especially if they somehow get bu Gonzaga.  UNC has some fans in the zebra world in this tourney for sure lol.   

I mean you take away South Carolina's ability to play D (with excess foul calls), it alters their whole gameplan.  I'm predicting a tight whistle against them soon.   I hope I'm wrong, but it's just how I've seen things go this tourney.

11 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Refs have controlled sports for a long time. Do people really think that only one ref Tim Donaghy cheated? I cant watch the NBA or NFL because of it. You can almost call when a ref is going to make an impact in the game. Announcers used to say "oh that was a make up call". Not any more.  It used to be only boxing and golf couldn't be controlled by refs. Now it is just Golf.

No way in hell he was doing it by himself.  In fact I'm sure he made a deal to be the scapegoat.   Same thing I think happens when certain football/basketball programs get busted for random violations.   Miami and USC tend to get it rough, while others not as much.  No one in the recruiting world is squeeky clean,  no way!

25 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I see what your saying, but I'm more complaining about inconsistency more than just that one game.   I'm just throwing it out there that South Carolina is going to get a rough whistle, especially if they somehow get bu Gonzaga.  UNC has some fans in the zebra world in this tourney for sure lol.   

I mean you take away South Carolina's ability to play D (with excess foul calls), it alters their whole gameplan.  I'm predicting a tight whistle against them soon.   I hope I'm wrong, but it's just how I've seen things go this tourney.

SC was whistled heavily against Duke - Duke shot like 30 free throws (without SC trying to foul at the end).  But that game was balanced - Duke was whistled a lot too.  If the whistles go one way, obviously a problem.

4 hours ago, Bormio said:

SC was whistled heavily against Duke - Duke shot like 30 free throws (without SC trying to foul at the end).  But that game was balanced - Duke was whistled a lot too.  If the whistles go one way, obviously a problem.

That game amwas called equally though...well until the last few minutes maybe a bit more towards duke, but consistantly called more fouls.   Sometimes a team dominates and the refs can't do much, but a lot of these games are close.

17 hours ago, 954gator said:

That game amwas called equally though...well until the last few minutes maybe a bit more towards duke, but consistantly called more fouls.   Sometimes a team dominates and the refs can't do much, but a lot of these games are close.

Im ok with the close calls. The blatant how in the frick did you miss that. Hand through the hoop no goaltending called. Or how in the hell did you not call that. Offensive foul against Brooks giving him 5 with 3 mins left. The obvious ones are the ones that tick me off.  

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

So UK fans send death threats to the official in the game (so he has to go to the police) and leave fake negative reviews on his company's Facebook page.  Way to represent, BBN.

You mean there's actually some liberal p***ies in Kentucky? Or are these paid dissidents?

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You mean there's actually some liberal p***ies in Kentucky? Or are these paid dissidents?

Lol not liberals, just crazed fans.   If someone were to give them an ultimatum to be liberal or UK basketball would never win again, they'd switch right over!

• Like 1